My daughter wants to live with me - What do I do?

Old March 24th 04, 12:26 PM
joeAverage

Default My daughter wants to live with me - What do I do?

Greetings,

I have a very intelligent, articulate, mature 13 year old daughter who
currently lives with her mom and has for the last 12 years per a court
agreement. She is older now and realizes that our home is better for her
than her mom's. She recognizes that her values and morals are more closely
aligned with ours and that our home will give her the best chance to succeed
in life (her words). We are actually a stricter household than her mom's
and she recognizes that at her age she needs more structure than her mom can
provide. (her words) Like I said - mature and articulate.

She has written a 8 page essay on why she wants to live with us vs. her
mom. She has showed it to her mom and verbally told her that she wants to
live here on more than one occasion. Her mom continues to say no.

We don't have the money to fight a long custody battle - who does
really? What can we do? We are in Florida.

Thanks in advance.

Old March 25th 04, 02:31 AM
Werebat

joeAverage wrote:

[...]

I liked the advice someone suggested here, to be devious about it. Agree
to keep paying your ex child support as you have been doing, but offer to
take your daughter full-time. If your ex is a stupid, lazy whore, she'll
jump at the chance to have "the best of both worlds" (free money and no
responsibilities). Of course you have to offer to let her take your
daughter whenever she wants.

Keep making payments and caring for your daughter full-time for a year or
so, then visit a lawyer and see about getting custody based on the fact
that you have been the primary caregiver for the last year.

I'd visit a lawyer first about this, to learn what the chances of success
are -- but beware, there are plenty of dimwitted incompetent lawyers out
there.

Anyway, I like this plan because it relies on being devious, and using
your ex's natural vices to defeat her. Give her just enough rope to hang
herself with.

- Ron ^*^

Old March 25th 04, 03:01 PM
steve

that was one plan we had already thought about for the reasons you suggest.
thanks for your reply.

Old April 5th 04, 10:26 AM
David Palomares

I had the same exact situation with my 15 year old daughter. Fortunately
her Mother agreed to let her live with us full time without a fight.
Unfortunately my ex started started a "poor pity me" campaign and it worked.
Four months latter we ended up going to 50/50, which in the end is best for
everyone. I don't know how bad your ex is or how good your new wife is but
unless there is eminent danger in your daughters current situation, a
daughter really does need her mother. I would try 50/50 if you don't have
that yet. Here in California the courts weigh pretty heavy on the age of
the child. My ex wouldn't fight my daughters initial request to live with
us due to the fact that she was 15 and a straight A student. Try going
through arbitration with your ex and start the chess game. Good luck!
David P.

om...