Big problem

Old October 18th 05, 06:25 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default Big problem

In ,
Catherine Woodgold wrote:

*I don't see how cold-turkey weaning would be any
*easier or more helpful than cold-turkey night weaning.

Not that this is applicable to the original poster's particular situation,
but regarding this quoted comment.... for what it's worth, when my
daughter was 18 mos old, I needed to wean her. It was a mental health
thing for me, and a physiological need for her. I tried to wean her
"gently," by dropping her least favorite nursing (she was nursing 8+ times
a day), by shortening it little by little... but, the problem was, on days
when I in any way attempted to restrict her nursing, she just screamed and
wailed until such time as she got to nurse again. Literally! Like, if
normally she would nurse for five minutes in the morning, and I cut her
back to four minutes, she would cry and beg to nurse for the next 2.5
hours until the next nursing time would begin. It was a nightmare.

On the other hand, if I left the house after her morning nursing and was
out all day, she would hang out with her minder (whoever it was - our au
pair, my mom, whatever) and her brother and be perfectly fine without
asking about nursing or anything.

So what I ultimately did was to just stop, cold turkey. After a few days
of my being out of the house all day, she no longer asked to nurse when
she saw me.

I'm not saying this is a recommended method for everyone! But for my
daughter it was MUCH less traumatic for us both to wean cold turkey!
--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth