help with morning sickness

Old October 2nd 03, 01:46 AM
.x.

Default help with morning sickness

Hi there

I'm 31 years old and 8 weeks pregnant - first time. For the last week I
have had 24 hour nausea. It keeps me awake at night and makes me gag when I
eat. I am taking vitamin B6 and ginger. I eat small meals every few hours.
I am always burping and always tired. Nothing seems to help me. It is
really driving me nuts and making me depressed. I'm still trying to come to
terms with being pregnant as this was rather unplanned so that doesn't help
the mental situation. My husband is being very helpful (thank God). Can
any one help me - or at least tell me when it will stop?

Camille
NZ

Old October 2nd 03, 02:05 AM
Nina

".x." wrote in message
Hi there

I'm 31 years old and 8 weeks pregnant - first time. For the last week I
have had 24 hour nausea. It keeps me awake at night and makes me gag when

eat. I am taking vitamin B6 and ginger. I eat small meals every few

hours.
I am always burping and always tired. Nothing seems to help me. It is
really driving me nuts and making me depressed. I'm still trying to come

terms with being pregnant as this was rather unplanned so that doesn't

help
the mental situation. My husband is being very helpful (thank God). Can
any one help me - or at least tell me when it will stop?

God willing it will pass at 12 weeks. Eating 24-7 was the only thing that
gave me any relief. And that wasnt much. I found lemonade and salty foods
helped.

Old October 2nd 03, 02:40 AM
Kereru

".x." wrote in message
Hi there

I'm 31 years old and 8 weeks pregnant - first time. For the last week I
have had 24 hour nausea. It keeps me awake at night and makes me gag when

eat. I am taking vitamin B6 and ginger. I eat small meals every few

hours.
I am always burping and always tired. Nothing seems to help me. It is
really driving me nuts and making me depressed. I'm still trying to come

terms with being pregnant as this was rather unplanned so that doesn't

help
the mental situation. My husband is being very helpful (thank God). Can
any one help me - or at least tell me when it will stop?

Camille
NZ

Everyone will say something diffent but tinned fruit helped me. I can see
you are in NZ so I can confidently say that you can get little pottles of
fruit from the supermarket, they really helped.

Apart from that, I can say it USUALLY passes from 12-14 weeks and I know how
horrible it is. I hope you find something that helps.

Judy (a NZr from Wellington)

Old October 2nd 03, 03:47 AM
Marie

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:46:07 +1200, ".x."
wrote:
Hi there

I'm 31 years old and 8 weeks pregnant - first time. For the last week I
have had 24 hour nausea. It keeps me awake at night and makes me gag when I
eat. I am taking vitamin B6 and ginger. I eat small meals every few hours.
I am always burping and always tired. Nothing seems to help me. It is
really driving me nuts and making me depressed. I'm still trying to come to
terms with being pregnant as this was rather unplanned so that doesn't help
the mental situation. My husband is being very helpful (thank God). Can
any one help me - or at least tell me when it will stop?

Peanut butter on whole wheat bread was about all I could stand when I
had morning sickness. Maybe you could try it. I've heard peppermint
helps also, but never tried it as I don't care for mints.
It's likely to get better by 16 weeks, but I know it is depressing.
hugs
Marie
Old October 2nd 03, 01:04 PM
Sidheag McCormack

Sympathy! Nothing is guaranteed to help, unfortunately. It will probably go
away towards the end of the first trimester - I was starting to feel a bit
better by 12 weeks and felt a lot better by 13 weeks. Less positively, at 8
weeks I still was not at the worst point (that was about 10 weeks).
Everyone's different though. You may find it helpful to carry around snacks
of e.g. crisps or something salty like that, and eat a few every time you
feel like it - I found that eating every few hours was not enough, and I
found that for me most of the time, salty helped. You don't say whether
you're actually vomiting a lot or just feeling sick - if there's a danger
that you're getting dehydrated, do see a medical professional, because
under those circumstances it's worth seriously considering taking drugs to
help.

Glad your DH is being sympathetic - take full advantage of him to bring you
things etc., and remember to tell him you appreciate it :-)

Sidheag
edd Oct 13th

Old October 2nd 03, 03:32 PM
Katie

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:46:07 +1200, ".x."
asserted:

Hi there

I'm 31 years old and 8 weeks pregnant - first time. For the last week I
have had 24 hour nausea. It keeps me awake at night and makes me gag when I
eat. I am taking vitamin B6 and ginger. I eat small meals every few hours.
I am always burping and always tired. Nothing seems to help me. It is
really driving me nuts and making me depressed. I'm still trying to come to
terms with being pregnant as this was rather unplanned so that doesn't help
the mental situation. My husband is being very helpful (thank God). Can
any one help me - or at least tell me when it will stop?

Camille
NZ

I know how you feel. I had nausea from week 7 through about week 13 -
but then it just magically went away and I felt pretty much great
after that. But while I had it, it was terrible - just feeling
nauseous constantly, like I had a permanent case of car sickness or a
stomach bug. Yuck. Luckily I didn't have too much vomiting (maybe
once-twice a week).

The main thing that I found that helped was lemon. I'd cut up a lemon
into wedges and suck on them. They instantly made the nausea go away,
at least for a little while. Also, those sour candies (the kind that
are like gummy bears but coated in citric acid powder) really helped.
I carried those around for when I couldn't get to a lemon fast enough!

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Katie
#1 EDD Nov 1/03 (35w6d)
Old October 2nd 03, 06:46 PM
Coccinella

I started to feel better at around week 12. I couldn't eat much but I loved
to drink sparkling water with lemon and I avoided all sweet things. I am now
14w 6d and it's completely gone. Hope it goes away very soon.

Love

Nicky

Old October 2nd 03, 09:51 PM
Ilse Witch

..x. wrote:
Hi there

I'm 31 years old and 8 weeks pregnant - first time. For the last week I
have had 24 hour nausea. It keeps me awake at night and makes me gag when I
eat. I am taking vitamin B6 and ginger. I eat small meals every few hours.
I am always burping and always tired. Nothing seems to help me. It is
really driving me nuts and making me depressed. I'm still trying to come to
terms with being pregnant as this was rather unplanned so that doesn't help
the mental situation. My husband is being very helpful (thank God). Can
any one help me - or at least tell me when it will stop?

Welcome Camille, and congrats on you pregnancy!
My nausea isn't nearly as bad as you describe, and for me the best
way around it is eating *every* two hours, but only small amounts,
and only eat what I feel like at that time. Drinking some tea or
juice before eating often helps. Don't try to stick to a diet or
something, it is more important that you eat than what you eat.
Drink as much as you can to stay hydrated.

At least the baby is in no danger as long as you are not getting
dehydrated, and this all should pass when you move into the second
trimester in another 4 weeks or so. However, a small fraction of
women suffer from nausea throughout their entire pregnancy. In that
case, I'd recommend to see a doctor and a dietician.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (14m)

Old October 3rd 03, 03:37 PM
Jill

"Nina" wrote

God willing it will pass at 12 weeks. Eating 24-7 was the only thing that
gave me any relief. And that wasnt much. I found lemonade and salty foods
helped.

That's what I say, I am 8 weeks and PRAYING it goes away in a month, as I
know a few people who had it bad the entire 9 months right up to the
delivery room and had a lot of IV's. I don't honestly think I could make it
through that!

But Nina has said something that is exactly right-on for me....salty foods
and lemonade seem to help a lot as well as not letting your stomach get
empty. A lot of people suggest Saltine crackers. I find them useful to not
let my stomach get empty but they are no miracle nausea cure for me. I have
to stay away from sweet foods. Salt really does seem to help (my doctor
warned me to avoid salt of later my blood pressure will go up but I eat it
because it's the only thing that doesn't gag me). Pickles help me, lol. I
couldn't eat a cookie right now if I wanted to.

I also drink water or ginger ale only.

My doctor prescribed me Zantac - said to keep the acid down will help the
nausea, doesn't work for me, and Phenergan- not helping as much as I'd like
either.
jill