Feeding 6 month old in middle of the night

Old November 28th 07, 10:14 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Default Feeding 6 month old in middle of the night

I wasn't too sure how to word the subject, however our son is now 6
months old. We've been following the handout our hospital gave during
a child birth class pretty well. On the subject of sleeping, we think
we've been pretty good. Basically they advise the Ferber method. Our
son *in general* will sleep from 9pm to 5:30am. However, here is where
it breaks down, and we can't find an answer for. One of the articles
talks about making the last feeding before he goes to bed. They advise
not to feed him in the middle of the night, otherwise he'll get in the
habbit of waking up in the middle of the night expecting to be fed. We
try and follow this, however, last night was an example were we didn't
know what to do.

Our son woke up at 3am, we could tell he was hungry. However, we tried
to soothe him, but nothing worked, and he continued to cry. So we gave
in and gave him the bottle. He gulped down 6oz and afterwards went
right back to sleep.

Was this wrong? We afraid that anytime we do this, we're asking for
trouble. We want to follow the hospital guidelines, but it doesn't
mention what to do if your baby doesn't stop crying (of course!). It
only says to try and keep soothing them, without feeding until they
fall back to sleep.
Old November 28th 07, 11:09 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lucy-lu

wrote in message
[...]

I'm not a good person to advise on 'methods', as I don't follow them, but if
my DD ever wakes up during the night, wanting a bottle, I always give it to
her. I hate waking up thirsty, and wouldn't want her to do that. Of course,
if she's just fussing, I give her a minute or two, then usually just rub her
back, or let her lie with her face on my hand and she goes back to sleep.
We've always done that, and she's always slept well, and personally, I feel
that that's because she knows that if she needs something, then the only
people who can help her, will. I also would rather settle her before she
wakes herself up properly, as then I've no chance of getting her down
quickly, and I feel that would encourage more of a habit than her grumbling
in her sleep that she wants a drink.

But then, every parent's different Good luck

Lucy x

Old November 28th 07, 11:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sarah Vaughan

wrote:
[...]

You know, a lot of baby books and 'experts' get *obsessed* with the
whole 'habit' thing. Sure, it's nice to be able to avoid setting up
particular habits where possible, but is it really so important that
someone should keep their baby hungry in the name of avoiding a habit?

He might start sleeping through quite naturally once he grows out of
wanting the feed, and, if he doesn't, there are ways you can change
things if it does reach the stage where he clearly isn't hungry but is
just in the habit of waking up (I can give you some suggestions if you
like). But if he's hungry, he's hungry. I mean, if you weren't sure
whether he was hungry it would have been quite reasonable to try other
things first. If other things aren't working, or if you're sure from
the start that it's hunger, then milk is the answer. You decided
feeding your hungry baby was more important than worrying about what
some standardized handout said. You were right.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Old November 29th 07, 12:53 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Throw your hospital guidelines away. Seriously. Babies have TINY tummies
and therefore need to eat more often than you and I. Most newborns eat
every 2-3 hours, and as they grow, their tummies grow, and they can go for
longer periods of time between feeds, because they can hold more food. And
of course during all of this, they go through periodic growth spurts where
they really need to eat more food more often, and many of those feedings are
going to occur in the middle of the night. Have you ever noticed that when
most people talk about having a newborn, the first thing they mention is the
lack of sleep? They aren't sitting up all night watching their baby sleep.
They're getting up multiple times a night to feed and change their baby.
It's not habit, it's physical necessity and growth. Babies don't generally
sleep through the night until they are older, 1 or 2 years old sometimes.
Of course you will hear the random story of someone whose baby slept through
the night at 4 weeks old and has been an amazing sleeper ever since, but
this is the exception, not the rule. It is not uncommon AT ALL for a 6
month old baby to need a feeding in the middle of the night. Not uncommon
at all.

Get a couple different books on babies -- Dr. Sears's, The Baby Book, T.
Berry Brazelton's Touchpoints, Penelope Leach's Your Baby & Child, and Marc
Weisbluth's Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Read them all. Do what
feels right for YOUR child and YOUR family. Do not use any one single thing
as THE WAY TO RAISE YOUR CHILD, as this one style fits all doesn't work.
Your child did not get the memo. Your child is unique and one of a kind,
and deserves to be parented that way. Get to know your child, and trust
your gut. Your baby was hungry, so you fed him. You probably spent longer
trying to soothe and distract him than you did feeding him. If you'd just
fed him and then put him back down, you would have been able to go back to
sleep a lot sooner... ; )

Welcome to parenthood. This is the time where you realize just how much you
don't know, and probably never will.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clark_Guest1, Password:
guest
Password

Old November 29th 07, 02:21 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

wrote:
[...]

Any guidelines that say all six month olds are able to
make it from 9pm to 5:30am without a feeding are doomed to
failure with some kids. I think it's crazy not to feed a
hungry baby at night. What on earth does that teach the
child? You can't learn not to be hungry. You can try to get
him to eat more during the day so that he won't *be* hungry
at night, but if he is, in fact, hungry I think you're far
better off to feed him.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old November 29th 07, 10:21 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

wrote in message
[...]

LOL.
Ignore the guidelines. Ignore any sleeping guidelines and do what you think
is best. Btter still burn the guidelines....
I did the same routines with all three of my children.
#1 slept through (9:30-8:30) every night from 9 weeks. Never didn't unless
ill, and even then she usually did. Rarely even disturbed at night.
#2 usually sleeps through now (age 4yo) but will wake perhaps twice a week.
I fed her in the night until she was about 2yo. Now she'll wake for a cuddle
or the toilet. And if she woke she needed feeding, if I left her she'd wake
again... and again... and again...
#3 slept through at 8 weeks. (8:00-8:00) (he's now nearly 6 months) He
usually sleeps through, but often disturbs for a wriggle and a chat in the
night. He's been ill a few times (older sisters share everything!) and then
he'll be more likely to wake. Sometimes I pick him up when he wakes and
change his nappy (he doesn't like being wet/dirty). Sometimes I give him a
cuddle and put him back. And sometimes I feed him. He doesn't expect a feed,
just because I do it once. Sometimes he needs a feed because he's hungry.
Sometimes he likes a feed for the comfort. Sometimes I want to give him a
feed because I'm a bit engorged.

With #3 I do all the things wrong if you go by the books. I play with him. I
put a light on, sometimes I'll feed him.... but he still sleeps better than
#2 does now.

Enjoy your baby. Do what you (and he) wants, not what a so called "expert"
has written down for the "generalised baby mark 1".
Debbie

Old November 29th 07, 05:21 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pologirl

smith_bp101 wrote:
Our son *in general* will sleep from 9pm to 5:30am.

[...]
Our son woke up at 3am, we could tell he was hungry.

With these two pieces of information, I would say: feed him and don't
worry about it. The fact that most nights he sleeps through is good
evidence that he already knows how to go back to sleep by himself when
he wakes at night and isn't hungry.

Both of my babies *needed* to be fed (nursed) 2 or 3 times every night
up to about 9 months of age. Neither one ate all that much per meal,
so they needed more meals. Eventually they didn't need the night
feeding anymo then they began to want to do things other than
feed. At that point we used a variety of methods described in Dr.
Ferber's excellent book, to gently and quickly transition the baby to
sleeping through the night.

You are doing just fine. :-) If a problem develops, then read the
Ferber book! It is very good on identifying the specific problem,
which is a very important step. Your hospital guidelines skip that
step.

Pologirl
Old November 29th 07, 06:27 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

schrieb:

Was this wrong? We afraid that anytime we do this, we're asking for
trouble. We want to follow the hospital guidelines, but it doesn't
mention what to do if your baby doesn't stop crying (of course!). It
only says to try and keep soothing them, without feeding until they
fall back to sleep.

Why didn't you say you were following hospital guidelines right from the
start... Oh you could have avoided all the screaming and fussing and
crappy nights you went through in the past few months... Seriously, burn
them! They're written for some mystery child nobody ever saw. The baby
that feeds on a schedule, sleeps when put down, never fusses for more
than 5 minutes,... Seriously, the child that those guidelines are for
does not exist.
Go with your instincts, if your baby wants to be carried around all day
it's not because it'll turn into a needy brat, it's because it _needs_
you, the body contact, the security, the rocking...
Babies aren't horrible, vicious little creatures that want to suck you
dry and make you sleep deprived, they're just really small and helpless
and need you for everything and they can't tell you what they need
except by screaming. Imagine how horrible it must be and how frustrating
if you're waking up hungry and the only person who can help you tells
you to go back to sleep... I mean you're lying there, your stomach hurts
and all you're getting is some person going "shhh shhh go back to sleep.
The guidelines say I can't feed you right now."

Seriously, get back in touch with your gut feelings, your instincts. If
you wake up really hungry, do you try to go back to sleep or do you get
a snack? If you feel miserable because you're sick, do you want to be
left alone in a room or do you want someone to comfort you?

Keep calm, try to relax and don't forget to breathe. That's the only
thing you really need to remember.

cu
nicole
Old November 29th 07, 06:44 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lucy-lu

"NL" wrote in message
schrieb:

[...]

I think that's pretty much my POV too. I try to think how I'd feel if I
wanted something, even if it was only contact and security, and someone
leaving me to cry myself to sleep/ just shh-ing me. I've cried myself to
sleep, and it's an awful, lost and desperate feeling.The only way they can
tell you they're distressed is by screaming, like the only way they can say
they're happy is smile and gurgle - and no one seems to mind that bit!
They're not evil masterminds, they're babies that want something. Yeah,
sometimes they want a lot, sometimes I do too!

Lucy x

This is Child Protection?: Imagine your terror and panic: you areawakened by an armed SWAT team in the middle of the night... fx Spanking 0 July 11th 07 03:28 AM
This is Child Protection?: Imagine your terror and panic: you areawakened by an armed SWAT team in the middle of the night... fx Foster Parents 0 July 11th 07 03:28 AM
Middle of the night feeding. LineVoltageHalogen General 15 October 6th 06 05:03 PM
Night time feeding Ellie Breastfeeding 3 January 14th 04 01:56 AM
20 weeks and suddenly up most of night feeding.. fi Breastfeeding 1 September 5th 03 04:31 PM