The Worst Restaurant Foods for Kids

Old May 1st 09, 08:51 AM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Kate XXXXXX

Default The Worst Restaurant Foods for Kids

Willow Herself wrote:
"Orlando Enrique Fiol" wrote in message
g...
wrote:
If you can't teach an 8 years old to deal with things he/she isn't happy
about, what kind of teenager/adult will that kid become?

A teenager demanding that life make them happy all the time.

As a highschool teacher, I can tell you it's no pretty sight.

Yeah... I've had to deal with far too many 14 YO's having a
brat-tantrum that I'd grown out of by the time I was four.

I love it, feed a kid junk food crap because they kid will REFUSE to eat
anything else.. that's so sad it's funny.

If I had behaved that way during my childhood, I would have starved
because my
family was not about to feed me junk food on a daily basis.

*grin* My mother never "forced" us to do anything, she just prepared dinner
and if you don't want it, then you can prepare yourself something else, but
there were only healthy foods in the fridge.

No alternatives in our fridge. The choice was eat it or be hungry until
the next meal. Occasional concessions were made: I wasn't forced to eat
fried eggs, but no extra something else was offered, and Little Sis
wasn't forced to eat cooked cabbage, but if sha wanted her portion made
into salad, she did that herself.

We did have treats, but they were treats, occasional. You know, not only we
survived, but we were the kids who got sick the less often in the entire
neighborhood.

Oddly, I see a parallel with my family here...

We did rebel, throw fits, which Mom ignored, at worst putting us in our room
while it lasted, and since it didn't lead anywhere, we stopped doing it
fairly fast.

Yup, before I was four. Mum took my shoes off, too, on the grounds that
A: naked drumming heels made less noise, and B: I was likely to kick
less and stop sooner as I wasn't about to hurt myself. Anything I broke
of mine while in a tantrum was thrown out and not replaced. Anything I
broke of someone elses was replaced out of whatever birthday and
Christmas money I recieved BEFORE I got the rest to spend...

It has nothing to do with food, it has to do with actually raising a kid.

Agreed. So far, we've gotten no rational explanation why it's better to
let a
kid eat all the junk food they want.

Orlando

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Me neither. I have always taken the lazy way out with my kid: nip the
undesireable behaviour in the bud before it develops into a major
problem, and it's easier to deal with. Result: a 14 YO who is waaaay
bigger than I am that does what he's supposed to most of the time, and
when he doesn't and is hauled over the coals for it, realizes that the
resulting loss of priviledge is entirely his responsibility. And once
he's over the sulk about it (takes about 20 minutes), usually apologizes
without much promting (if any), and attempts to do better in future.

Kids are kids. Some errors they repeat a time or two before the lesson
sticks. Having to replace the coat they lost or the new shoes they
destroyed playing footie in them rather than changing to trainers/soccer
boots out of their hard won pocket money (has to be earned in this
house!) so they can't afford the latest PS II game or pair of designer
sunglasses they were saving for is a lesson worth learning.

He almost lost the coming weekend's field training camp with the cadets
last night by being stupid. Today he's a shining example of angelic
helpfulness. When teased gently about this, he produced a rueful grin,
and a 'Yeah, well... I'm stoooopid sometimes'.

This lesson will stick for a good few months, I think.

No, it really isn't about food. It's about teaching your kids to be
people. They are apprentices of life and need help, guidance, a safe
place to learn to correct errors, and the secure knowledge that they are
loved. Teaching good eating habits that will give them a longer and
healthier life starts when they are too tiny to know the difference
between good nutrition and bad. It means teaching them to try all sorts
of different things. It means giving them the skills to decline some
things and accept others gracefully, based on experience and knowledge.
Kids WILL eat the unfamiliar and the strange, and the stuff they find
vaguely unpleasant when they know this won't happen every day, and when
they know that someting is good for them. And when they see friends and
family trying them. They need to learn to make choices when they are
quite young. For little ones, offer broccoli or beans as a green veg,
rather than copping out altogether. Once they make the choice, they are
usually quite happy to eat a reasonable portion of the results of that
choice.

Now the GMNT is at the stage when he'll take a bite out of the broccoli
and say, 'Hm... I let this cook too long!' and then finish it anyway,
and choose the peppers, onion and tomatoes out of the roasted
vegetables, but leave the courgettes and mushrooms rather than rejecting
the whole lot out of hand.

Yes, he'll eat junk food if he needs refuelling and there's no
alternative, but on the other hand he still waxes lyrical about the
hand-crafted pizza he had in Biaritz last year, and dwells on the way
they were cooked in stone bottomed ovens and had charcoaly bits off the
oven on the bottom. Horrid brat, teasing me like that!
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old May 1st 09, 01:24 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Stephanie[_4_]

Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
%A wrote:
On the flip side, if every person who attempted a conversation
weren't disended upon as a person of raging hate, at lease insofar
as the group were concerned, then there would be less dismissing as
psychotic blathering.

Let's be part of the solution.

What is the problem, exactly? Well I suppose that since I am posting from
WW, that I should ignore the crap intended for ssfa. But it is interesting
to me.

I haven't directed any hatred at you.
In fact, I've agreed with most of your points, which indicates that
we're beginning a fruitful conversation. It's easy for both sides on
the fat issue to blame rather than help each other. Those who condemn
the overweight need to realize that we're not fat because of
insufficient will power, control over eating or understanding of
health.

Ok. What is the cause then? When I said to another that she did not choose
to be fat any more than she chose her skin color, I am sorry, I cannot
agree. One can change in their lives. That some people can eat cheesecake
and never get fat is true. And for some of us, we could as kids but not as
adults as the metabolism and activity levels slow. Unfortunate that we
aren't all dealt the same cards. But something CAN be done about it in the
vast majority of people.

Now I would not contend that failure to do something about it is a matter of
laziness or whatever. For anyone who wishes to change anything, the process
is a journey. i did nnot quit smoking the first 10 or so times I tried. I
did not loose weight the first time I tried. Each person takes that journey
in their own way.

On the other side, those of us who've begun turning our lives
around and losing weight shouldn't get so cocky that we forget those
who haven't yet gotten to the point of needing to take desperate
measures, let alone figuring out which measures to take.

Certainly not. My only objection is the rabid schlepping of falsehoods in
order to remain confident in their current place. I like truthfulness. Call
me nuts. And I am not sure where thee "needing to take desparate measures"
comes from. Many people make change in their lives as a gradual,
contemplative thing. Not a dramatic thing.

Thue truth
is that on South Beach, I eat lean protein and vegetables most of the
time, supplemented with some fruit, whole grains and even an
occasional "whatever meal" with refined carbs. My total cholesterol
is down more than a hundred points. My fasting glucose is within a
normal range. I no longer get gout attacks or debilitating knee pain.

Yay for you! Pat yourself on the back.

My blood pressure is at its lowest. I'm better able to walk without
my feet hurting or running out of breath. But, as though all these
health benefits weren't enough, I'm gradually attaining a balance
between eating what I love ahdn what works best for my body. All in
all, even though I can't always eat what I want, I can usually find
something truly enjoyable. I don't count calories or worry about
portion sizes, except with carbs and sweets, which I must curtail.

Whatever works. I know nothing about atkins. I would prefer the Zone to WW,
myself. But preparing the carefully balanced meals is too fussy when you
have 2 small kids. Just the education process of figuring out what to do is
daunting. Then I think folks get discouraged that they "failed" with
something. I don't think of it as failing. I think of it just like quitting
smoking. Try one down. Wait and try again when it is right.

The point is that losing weight consistently and healthily hasn't
been as much of a drag as I thought it would be. But, I had to get
away from the moralizers around me who told me I'd have to do without
nearly everything and put up with persistent hunger in order to reach
my goal. Fact is, I don't have to be hungry to lose weight. In fact,
the more lean protein and veggies I eat, the fewer cravings I feel
and the more weight I lose.

Well whoevere told you those things had better not be a weight loss
counselor or dietician! Though I do say that the first week or two I was
hungry. There is a process of learning what keeps you satisfied as well as
your mind and/or body adjusting to the new scene.

Bringing this back around to our original topic, let's face it, the
food industry is on the take; it wants to produce cheap foods that
seem to satisfy broad desires for grease, salt, processed meat and
sugar. Fast food restaurants make a profit because people continue
patronizing them. They're not in the business of sadistically serving
unhealthy food; they want to earn a profit.

So? What does that have to do with it? We can choose not to patronize them.
I actually let my kids eat McNasty every once in a blue mood. I beleive that
you have to treat. I don't like the stuff.

If millions of Americans
wanted leaner meat that isn't fried, fewer carbs and no high fructose
corn syrup, they'd get on the ball to provide that to people. So, why
do we continue wanting these foods even though so many of us know how
unhealthy they are?

Animals are not meant to live in the absence of competition and want. High
calorie foods are desirable because animals are frequently in want. The high
carb stuff is available... in the summer. Animals' jobs during teh growing
season is to pack on fat for the winter. Thus the carb addiction you hear
about. Eat the berries, the wild grains, the wild bagels so that you
store fat for winter.

We are no longer in want. We live in excess. But our bodies are still that
of nature.

In many neighborhoods, those foods are the only
convenient and affordable choices we have. It takes time and skill to
cook. With both parents working in many families, no one has time to
shop or cook. But, I think Americans could learn quite a lot from
immigrant populations who, despite hectic work schedules and grinding
poverty, often still find time and energy to cook in order to
maintain vital cultural connections via food.

Cooking just isnt that BFD. It is just another thing to do. I love it when
people say I don't know how to do laundry. Geez you put the crap in one
machine then the other. Same with cooking. You don't h ave to be Julia
Child's to put dinner on the table. Any library hass probably 2 shelves of
cookbooks. The internet has a zillion cooking resources.

That might be part of
the problem here. We've forgotten food as culture, home cooking as an
expression of family traditions and ethnic identity. We've bought the
lie that food is just an engineered product intended to keep us on
the go and working for the man. Food can mean so much more than the
animalistic satisfaction of primal taste urges. While I'm not
suggesting that we ignore what tastes good to us, I am suggesting
that we're getting far more negative side effects from following the
tastes encouraged by the food industry.

Folks, stop trying to find the healthiest options on fast food menus,
get back home and into your kitchens.

Not bad advice.

Orlando

Old May 1st 09, 01:24 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Stephanie[_4_]

Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
%A wrote:
I am the wrong person to seek help from, nor would he hear it if I
offered, as evidenced by his responses.

I might seek help from you if I could reach you at a valid email
address. Who's to say you couldn't help someone like him? Stranger
things have happened when people start talking sincerely.

Orlando

He doesnt want or need help, it seems to me.

Old May 1st 09, 01:37 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Stephanie[_4_]

Kate XXXXXX wrote:
Willow Herself wrote:

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Me neither. I have always taken the lazy way out with my kid: nip the
undesireable behaviour in the bud before it develops into a major
problem, and it's easier to deal with.

What my favorite parenting author calls "investment discipline."

Result: a 14 YO who is waaaay
bigger than I am that does what he's supposed to most of the time, and
when he doesn't and is hauled over the coals for it, realizes that the
resulting loss of priviledge is entirely his responsibility. And once
he's over the sulk about it (takes about 20 minutes), usually
apologizes without much promting (if any), and attempts to do better
in future.

Sounds like my 8yo. And my 5yo for that matter. Freedom comes with
responsibilty. You want to be able to play in the woods and not just thee
yard. You are responsible to stay in earshot and stay out of the road.
Demonstrate you are not responsible. you loose the freedom. It is not
punishment. It is reality.

Kids are kids. Some errors they repeat a time or two before the
lesson sticks. Having to replace the coat they lost or the new shoes
they destroyed playing footie in them rather than changing to
trainers/soccer boots out of their hard won pocket money (has to be
earned in this house!) so they can't afford the latest PS II game or
pair of designer sunglasses they were saving for is a lesson worth
learning.
He almost lost the coming weekend's field training camp with the
cadets last night by being stupid.

I remember having my kids and 2 other kids. We were taking a trip to the
beach (lake ). They were being total jerks, not listening to a single
thing I said. I pulled the car over. I said to all four of them. It is
unsafe for me to take 4 children who will no listen to my requests for safe
and considerate behavior. I will not have you be unsafe. If you want to go
to the beach, it is time to start listening to me. If any ignoring
continues, we will turn around and go home. Understood? We pulled out, and
the older boy of the other 2 kids immediately starts in on the previous
behavior (unbuckling his belt). My son says Stop It. She is not kidding. Put
your belt on now or she will bring us home. No she won't says the kid. YES
SHE WILL says my son. They were angels for the rest of the day.

Old May 1st 09, 02:14 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
Kate XXXXXX

Stephanie wrote:
Kate XXXXXX wrote:
Willow Herself wrote:

[...]

We've done that before now...

On the other hand, he's also been given free ice cream by the landlady
(as a treat, with my permission granted first and out of his hearing)
for behaving impeccably in a pub at lunch time, to the embarassment of
another family with an older tantrum in tow. GMNT was two and a bit at
the time.

He was, I have to say, irritatingly cherubic as a very small, about 98%
of the time. Boiled Goblin fits were few and far between and usually
lasted less than half an hour, especially if ignored. Strangers would
say 'He's on his best behaviour today', and I'd say, 'No, this is normal!'

I admit it. I was spoiled as a mum!

Old May 1st 09, 04:55 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
MU

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:30:35 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:

%A wrote:
You know what strikes me... The group that keeps getting xposted to ww is
called something something fat.ACCEPTANCE. But what that really seems to
mean that facts and realities surrounding the *risks* of being fat need to
be squelched at all costs. Things like not every fat person gets type 2
diabetes becomes an argument that a fat person's risk does not, in fact go
UP for type 2 diabetes. Which is darn right weird. Will YOU get type 2
diabetes? Or joint issuses? Or heart disease? Stroke? Cancer? Liver disease?
Gall bladder disease? You may not. But what a freaking long list! Not
everyone gets these diseases and non-obese people do too are not really very
cogent arguments about the risk that any individual will goes up
dramatically depending on the level of obesity, the disease and other
factors. Pretending that fact does not exist does not exists does not
further your fat accepance cause, if you ask me.
Fat people have every right to be fat. That is thei choice. And as such, I
guess you could say that I, for one, accept fat. But be truthful fer pete's
sake.

This issue is so fraught with pontification and moralizing on both sides. If
fat people weren't automatically branded glutons who are so morally bankrupt
that they can't control their eating, there would be no need for fat acceptance
as a response.

Orlando

Yes, much like branding of anyone with a physical disability.
--
http://tinyurl.com/5gt7
Old May 1st 09, 05:05 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
MU

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 21:24:05 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:

The point is that losing weight consistently and healthily hasn't
been as much of a drag as I thought it would be. But, I had to get away from
the moralizers around me who told me I'd have to do without nearly everything
and put up with persistent hunger in order to reach my goal. Fact is, I don't
have to be hungry to lose weight. In fact, the more lean protein and veggies I
eat, the fewer cravings I feel and the more weight I lose.

Key points.

In the case of the 2PD, the reduction of consumption is a slow
progression from X lbs to 2 pounds at 1/4 to 1/2 pound intervals weekly.

Although we have no evidences of the physical shrinking of the stomach,
there is 100% in related experiences in feeling "stuffed" and
uncomfortable when 2 lbs is reached and X is once again consumed.

For me, this is my personal check, how do I feel after eating, at the
end of the day, etc.

As to the moralizers, as you shrink, you would expect to find
acceptance, what you found, which is true in most situations, is people
who, imo, are jealous. They either knowingly or unkowingly wish to
sabotage your weight loss.

Sad but true.

Another check point. When I began the 2PD, I noticed Mu wifey began to
up the portion amounts when I was served dinner. I had to take my plate
and scrape off the excess. She was not happy.

Soon, following, I just always left something on my plate. Not happy.

Tough ****.
--
http://tinyurl.com/5gt7
Old May 1st 09, 05:07 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
MU

On Fri, 01 May 2009 11:06:48 +0200, Anonymous Remailer wrote:

Kids find every possible bad choice because they are driven to
it by mass marketing targeted at children.

Quite so, sadly.
--
http://tinyurl.com/5gt7
Old May 1st 09, 05:10 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,misc.kids,alt.support.diet,alt.support.diet.low-carb,alt.support.diet.weightwatchers
MU

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:25:50 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:

I think many parents allow their children to eat badly out
of sheer sloth and selfishness. Rather than take time to cook healthy food or
at least seek it out in public, they just go for whatever's conveniently
available. This fosters a mentality that food is purely intended for a feeling
of convenient nourishment; never mind that unhealthy food is anything but
nourishing. Fast food does not make memories. I've never heard anyone wax
nostalgic about the calory-laden foods enumerated in the original article. If
one is going to remember certain childhood comfort foods fondly, let them at
least be home made from ingredients actually found in nature.

I firmly believe that many parents, who are obese, don't want constant
reminders of their obesity from slim, healthier children.

It is where the phrase "eat your own" comes from.
--
http://tinyurl.com/5gt7