Got Some Questions

Old July 17th 03, 04:24 AM
Chookie

Default Got Some Questions

In article ,
"Shelby" wrote:

-- Can I mix sweet potatoes and carrots? avocodo and banana? I have been
but wanted to make sure its okay.

If you kno he will eat them separately without problems, then it's fine to
combine them.

2. He loves food, but is REALLY constipated. I don't give him rice cereal
because it makes it even worse.

Yes, rice cereal is notoriously constipating, even in very small amounts.

- are any of the foods I listed above constipating? Is not cooking
everything (fruit, ect.) making him constipated? Can I start giving him
prunes?

Bananas are also constipating; I don't know about the others. Some people say
that cooked and raw apple have opposite effects, but I can't remember which is
the laxative. YOu should be OK to give prunes, I think, but you may want to
try "prune water" -- the water you cook them in. Works just as well as the
prunes, I'm told.

-- As mentioned in a post a few days ago, he doesn't want to nurse for more
than a few minutes. I am trying to nurse him, than give him food; however
he gets irritated after about five minutes on one side and that is that. Is
it possible he isn't getting enough fluids?

I suppose it is, but also, breast milk is laxative, so getting more bm in may
be a good thing if you can manage it. Incidenatlly, how much solid food would
he eat in a day? Perhaps if you cut down the amount a bit, he would bfeed
more?

I have to return to work full time in about a month and I need to get this
sorted out first. I imagine I will be having a hard enough time working and
pumping. On a plus note - if I can get him to take water out of a sippy cup
maybe he can drink bm from a sippy cup too and skip the whole bottle issue
all together ???

I wasn't returning to work at that time, but started DS off on an ordinary
plastic cup. He was pretty messy with it at 6mo, but at 12mo was a very neat
drinker. I should think a sippy cup would be a good plan, but some babies
have preferences about bm coming in the original container!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old July 17th 03, 10:14 PM
H Schinske

In article . rogers.com,
Ducky Lawyer wrote:

Sigh, I know - the problem is that DH makes our oatmeal with salt and
the bvabes presuasmbly don't need/shouldn't have salt.

I went ahead and added dashes of salt to the babies' hot cereal after a certain
point. I never put much at all (nothing *close* to what the instant oatmeal
packets for adults have), but it was enough to make it palatable for everyone.

--Helen
Old July 18th 03, 03:22 AM
Karen Askey

In article , "Shelby"
writes:

I missed the LLL meeting again today and I really needed some advice, so I
am hoping all you experienced bf can help.

In case folks don't know, there are online LLL meetings Sunday thru Thursday at
various times. They are great! You can find the link on the LLL website at
lalecheleague.org. You don't have to be a member, you don't have to
permanently sign up, you won't receive spam from visiting the chat, and you get
leader and mother-to-mother support.

koa
Still nursing James, 02/06/01
EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BCP)

Old July 18th 03, 06:22 PM
Dawn Lawson

Shelby wrote:

Thank you

Quick question:
how do you make baby oatmeal - do you have to grind it up then cook it, or
just feed as is??

I'd skip the stuff in a box.
Try finding scotch oats, which are finely cut, or whir a bit in a coffee grinder
or cook it with more water than usual, on a lower heat for longer, and it gets
quite mushy.

Dawn