Children's Books on Kindness

Old October 12th 04, 08:50 PM
iowacookiemom

Default Children's Books on Kindness

I've been asked to speak to a group of mothers of preschoolers at a
nearby church on the topic of kindness. I want to focus mostly on
ways to model kindness with our children but I thought it would be fun
to also provide a little bibliography of children's books that have
kindness as a theme.

Problem is, it's been a while since we were reading preschool books.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dawn
Mom to Henry, 12

Old October 13th 04, 04:23 AM
Kevin Karplus

In article ,
iowacookiemom wrote:
I've been asked to speak to a group of mothers of preschoolers at a
nearby church on the topic of kindness. I want to focus mostly on
ways to model kindness with our children but I thought it would be fun
to also provide a little bibliography of children's books that have
kindness as a theme.

Problem is, it's been a while since we were reading preschool books.
Any suggestions?

No specific suggestions, but I did a google search for
children's literature kindness
and found a web site that lists books in various ways

http://raspberry.forest.net/FMPro?-d..._pizzazz&-view

including a listing of stories that reinforce the notion of kindess:

http://raspberry.forest.net/FMPro?-D...kindness&-Find

If you can't get the long URLs to work try googling "whootie".

Note: I've not checked these lists for quality or comprehensiveness.
They seem to be referring to folk tales that are on-line, rather than books.
The age level seems to be a bit higher than preschool also.

Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Senior member, IEEE Board of Directors, ISCB (starting Jan 2005)
Affiliations for identification only.

Old October 13th 04, 11:52 PM
just me

iowacookiemom mentioned in passing :

I've been asked to speak to a group of mothers of preschoolers at a
nearby church on the topic of kindness. I want to focus mostly on
ways to model kindness with our children but I thought it would be fun
to also provide a little bibliography of children's books that have
kindness as a theme.

Problem is, it's been a while since we were reading preschool books.
Any suggestions?

We had a couple in a series called soemthing along the line of "Made by
Camel". I am, however, unable to find it via google, so it may be more than
ten years old. Those were good books, each with a moral less such as
kindness.

-Aula

--
There are no weird people - some just require more understanding.

---

Old October 14th 04, 06:17 AM
Peggy Tatyana

"iowacookiemom" wrote:

I've been asked to speak to a group of mothers of preschoolers at a
nearby church on the topic of kindness. I want to focus mostly on
ways to model kindness with our children but I thought it would be fun
to also provide a little bibliography of children's books that have
kindness as a theme.

Problem is, it's been a while since we were reading preschool books.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

You might try asking in the newsgroup rec.arts.books.childrens.

Peggy

--
A dog can never tell you what she knows from the
smells of the world, but you know, watching her, that you know

-- Mary Oliver

Old October 20th 04, 01:00 AM
teacherDeb

"iowacookiemom" wrote:

I've been asked to speak to a group of mothers of preschoolers at a
nearby church on the topic of kindness. I want to focus mostly on
ways to model kindness with our children but I thought it would be fun
to also provide a little bibliography of children's books that have
kindness as a theme.

Problem is, it's been a while since we were reading preschool books.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

I would go to www.freespirit.com - they have a great catalog of books
that are geared toward helping children learn character and respect
for others.
Deb

Old October 20th 04, 01:03 AM
Annie

There is a site that has ebooks which focus on things like sharing...
I use the books for all preschoolers but there is a focus more on kids
with disabilities. The site is:

www.sandbox-learning.com

If you look under the stories or the products you can find the
books.... they also have a Halloween safety book which is helpful for
young kids.

Hope this helps.
Annie

Old October 20th 04, 01:18 AM
Iowacookiemom

Thanks to all -- I got some great suggestions here and via e-mail and the
presentation went great.

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 12