POLL: Math questions regarding upper elementary school (xpost to m.k.)

Old October 16th 03, 10:48 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default POLL: Math questions regarding upper elementary school (xpost to m.k.)

In article ,
Penny Gaines wrote:

Fourth grade is 9-10 yos isn't it?

Yes. Exact cutoffs vary, but typically a 4th grader will have turned 9
by either August 31 (seems the most common cutoff these days) or Dec 31
(was the most common cutoff when I was a kid) of the year they start
4th grade.

--Robyn

Old October 17th 03, 12:26 AM
Circe

Default Graphs and US math standards (was poll)

"Kevin Karplus" wrote in message
Our school (a middling-rated public California school) starts bar
charts in kindergarten, so I would expect 5th graders to be able to
do them in their sleep.

Basic charting/graphing is part of the California state standard for
kindergarten, so it should be taught in *every* California kindergarten
regardless of the school's ratings. I'm reasonably certain that my 6yo would
be able to comprehend the basic concepts behind a pie chart, although he
probably could not articulate them.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [19mo] mom)

"Together we help the future grow." -- School slogan

Old October 17th 03, 12:27 AM
Bruce and Jeanne

Robyn Kozierok wrote:

In article ,
Kevin Karplus wrote:
In article , Robyn Kozierok wrote:
Have you as a parent ever heard of a stem and leaf plot?

From where did you learn about this? At what age?

Not until my son learned it (and I have a math degree, fwiw)

I learned about stem-and-leaf plots about 1985 from Edward Tufte's
beautiful book "The Visual Display of Quantitative Information".
I did NOT get stem-and-leaf plots in school or college, but I was in
theoretical math and computer science, neither of which are very
concerned with the display of data.

My degree was theoretical ("pure") math and CS as well. But I did
have 2 (required) semesters of probability and statistics

--Robyn

I did math undergrad and like you didn't learn about stem-and-leaf
plots. Instead I ran into the stem-and-leaf plots as a grad student in
city planning where we had to learn statistics.

BTW, I don't think of these plots as useful for young children to learn.

Jeanne

Old October 17th 03, 01:39 AM
Marion Baumgarten

Robyn Kozierok wrote:

In article ,
chiam margalit wrote:
Could you please answer the following questions IF you have a child
who has entered 4th grade. It's OK for your child to be older, but I
only need information regarding 4th grade math for a client of mine.
I need responses from *every* US state as well as from overseas. I'm
looking for a wide dispersal of respondants, so if you have friends
with kids in this age group, please don't hesitate to forward this.
TIA!

What State/Province/Country do you live in?

IIlinois
What grade is your child(ren) currently in?

6th grade (but in 7th for math), 9th grade, taking Algebra 2
Is your child in public or private school? (Please NO homeschooling!)

Public

Is your child in a gifted or Resource Room program?

Not in 4th grade
What math Texts does your child use?

University of Chicago Everyday Math

Has your child been introduced to the Stem and Leaf Plot at school?

no- or they didn't retain it if they were.

During what grade?

Said never herad of it

Have you as a parent ever heard of a stem and leaf plot?

No
From where did you learn about this? At what age?

Never herad of it until this message

Can your child create his/her own stem and leaf plot?

No

Does your school use Connected Math?

If this is Uof C math, then yes- otherwise no.

Marion Baumgarten

Old October 17th 03, 12:14 PM
Donna Metler

Tennessee tests the stem and leaf plot in 6th grade. (All of one question
last year-so it's not a major topic by any means). It is first introduced in
the grade 4 book (University of Chicago Everyday Math), and revisited after
that. Everyday math, like Connected Math, is a spiral curriculum, with the
idea being that children don't necessarily master things the first time they
do them. I think it's crazy, but that's a topic for another thread.

Our gifted math students work by acceleration, so it is possible that a
gifted student would be introduced to this earlier. Students with
disabilities in math usually end up with the curriculum pared down to the
essentials, so I expect the step and leaf plot wouldn't be covered.

I don't know if they actually learn it or can explain it or not. I don't
recall seeing one until college-and when I saw it, had no trouble
understanding it. I expect I could explain and teach it without trouble-but
am just as glad I don't have to, since it seems irrelevant for a 4th grader.

Old October 17th 03, 02:05 PM
Penny Gaines

Robyn Kozierok wrote in :

My degree was theoretical ("pure") math and CS as well. But I did
have 2 (required) semesters of probability and statistics

My degree had three years of pure maths, two years of economics, and
one year of stats (and a few other things). I'd never heard of stem
and leaf plots before - chi squared distributions, but not stem and
leaf plots.

--

Penny Gaines

Old October 17th 03, 02:06 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
chiam margalit wrote:

(Robyn Kozierok) wrote in message ...
* In article ,
* chiam margalit wrote:
*
* btw, you probably already know this, but stem-and-leaf plots are
* listed in the NCTM standards under Data Analysis and Probability
* for grades 6-8 which is why so many "newer" curricula introduce them:
*
*Yes, I DID know this. But I'm only interested in 4th grade math. And
*I'm finding the responses VERY interesting and (tee hee) totally
*backing up my hypothesis. I wish more people would respond though. I
*really need enough data to cover at least 50% of all states to fight
*this battle in court.

OK, WTF is a stem and leaf plot? I found this discussion online:
http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/...ons/steml.html and frankly it
is confusing the hell out of me.

Old October 17th 03, 02:34 PM
Robyn Kozierok

chiam margalit wrote:

btw, you probably already know this, but stem-and-leaf plots are
listed in the NCTM standards under Data Analysis and Probability
for grades 6-8 which is why so many "newer" curricula introduce them:

Yes, I DID know this. But I'm only interested in 4th grade math.

For things the kids will be tested/evaluated on in 6th, introducing it in
4th doesn't seem unusual or unreasonable, within the semi-accepted paradigm
of teaching to the test. I think you already know my opinions on that!

I'm finding the responses VERY interesting and (tee hee) totally
backing up my hypothesis. I wish more people would respond though. I
really need enough data to cover at least 50% of all states to fight
this battle in court.

I doubt my responses are necessarily representative of my entire state,
and mine's a small state. AFAIK, the curriculum used at our public
schools was chosen by the local school board, not mandated by the state.
Of course, the testing is state-based. I don't know if stem-and-leaf
charts show up here in the 4th grade test or not until 6th, but I could
find out if you want. I'd guess some states are more consistent on
public school curricula than others.

I'll be interested to hear what kind of court battle you could be having
over stem-and-leaf charts once you have enough data to reveal your
reasons for asking. ;-)

--Robyn

Rant: Over indulgent parents strike again Jon Walters General 1142 August 25th 05 03:27 PM
How Children REALLY React To Control Chris General 444 July 20th 04 07:14 PM
Math program LFortier General 30 January 28th 04 06:41 AM
Choosing a preschool Cheryl S. General 58 November 4th 03 03:04 PM
POLL: Question about upper elementary math chiam margalit General 19 October 20th 03 12:46 AM