crib mattress issue

Old June 30th 07, 02:24 AM posted to alt.infertility.pregnancy,misc.kids.pregnancy
caba

Default crib mattress issue

On Jun 29, 12:43 pm, yellowgirl wrote:
So, we have our crib and a crib mattress. Problem, naturally. Seems
our crib (which is very pretty and I *love*) only has one level for
the crib mattress. I guess lots have two levels, and you start in the
higher position and then lower it when the kid gets older and wants to
climb out. Well, our crib only *has* the lower position. With the
crib mattress in, it is kinda deep/low. I'm picturing lots of back
issues in getting the girl out of the crib in the early
months........ was back at the store and looked at the floor model,
and they have TWO mattresses, one on top of the other, to raise up the
crib bottom. We could do that, but is there a safety concern with
doing so? I'd much rather trade back aches for safety concerns, but
does anyone know if it *is* a safety concern? The crib mattresses all
seem to be standard size, so fit pretty snuggly against the crib, but
is there still a risk?

Thanks in advance!

Yellowgirl

i have nothing to add except ditto on what everyone else said. I
cringe when you need to change the crib sheet ... what a PITA ... the
bumper is in the way ... oh, so annoying... when the kids spit up
early on, we were chanign it all the time ... then we got smart and
put a towel underneath them (per the docs suggestion) so we just pull
out the towel and put a new one down instead of changin the sheet ...

i'm sure the double mattress is fine ... if your child has the amazing
ability to get between two mattress, you have a super hero on your
hands!

caba

Old June 30th 07, 02:42 AM posted to alt.infertility.pregnancy,misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"yellowgirl" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

A risk of what? The baby rolling *under* the top mattress to squish between
the pair of mattresses? Nah, I can't think of any reason why putting 2
mattresses in a crib that you described to bring the height up, OTHER than
the fact that you'll need to buy 2 mattresses (if you don't already have a
spare) and I know crib mattresses *can* get expensive... And for something
you won't be using forever, or probably not even for the entire duration you
actually use the crib. To solve this problem, for me, I think I would see
if I could borrow a second mattress from someone if they are not currently
needing it. Or, if you would just rather, 2 mattresses should be just fine,
and it doesn't matter if you have to buy 2 of them or not!

Old June 30th 07, 04:33 AM posted to alt.infertility.pregnancy,misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

"xkatx" wrote in message

[...]

ToysRuS has VERY inexpensive crib mattresses, the lowest price starts at,
like, $35, I think. I never spent too much on crib mattresses, myself, as
if you weigh less than 40lbs, you hardly need much support. So buying
$70-100 worth of mattresses wouldn't be an issue. I know that some people
tend to spend more, but you certainly don't need to, especially not for a
second mattress underneath the first!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels: