UTI w/no symptoms??

Old August 21st 04, 06:08 PM
Jerihenderson4

Default UTI w/no symptoms??

Hi all,
Yesterday I got a call from my dr. office saying I have a bladder infection!
Ugh, just what I wanted to hear. The weird thing about it is that I don't
really have any symptoms of one except that my urine has a really "strong"
smell to it. I have had this for quite some time probably. My last visit was on
8-17 and they sent a specimen out because the little strip turned really pink.
The time before that on 8-3, after doing the strip the nurse asked me if I had
any problems peeing, I told her no and that was that. I went today and picked
up my prescription, they have me taking Macrobid 100 mg 2x a day for 14
days-that seems a little much to me. Do you have any suggestions on how to
prevent this from happening again-anyone??
Thanks in advance!

Jeri
Marissa 1-17-00
Jordan 8-25-01
Baby Jacob Jr. 10-26-04

Old August 21st 04, 11:05 PM
Shelly

"Jerihenderson4" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Jeri,
Sorry, no advice on prevention, but I did want to say that I had the same
thing happen to me when I was about 2 1/2 months pregnant, and was given the
exact same dosage of Macrobid by my doctor. I did not have any other
problems with UTIs during the pregnancy. I would suggest taking acidopholus
tabs; I did get a horrible yeast infection from the antibiotic, and THEN I
felt terrible.

Hope it clears up for you quickly,
Michelle

Old August 22nd 04, 03:18 PM
Donna Metler

Based on what I've read, asymptomatic UTI's aren't uncommon in even
non-pregnant women, and can cause problems during pregnancy, which is why
they test for them and treat them when they occur.

I've been on cranberry supplements throughout this pregnancy because I have
a history of BAD uti's (an occupational hazard of teaching elementary
school), and so far (knock wood) I've managed to avoid them-although I did
have one run in to see my midwife to get a culture done because I had
symptoms, but no UTI.

Old August 22nd 04, 10:34 PM
Amy

UTI's untreated can cause premature labour, so I would take the Macrobid.
One thing you can do to avoid a UTI is to empty your bladder before and
after sex and make sure you wipe front to back when going to the toliet, but
other than that I don't know. UTI's and yeast infections are not uncommon in
pg, I think if you're going to get them, you're going to get them.
I had the yeast infection from hell early in my first pg, and I'd never had
one before, and have never had one since. All the hormones can put things
out of whack.

Old August 23rd 04, 05:58 PM
Sarah Vaughan

In message ,
Jerihenderson4 writes
Do you have any suggestions on how to
prevent this from happening again-anyone??

Yes.

Firstly, make sure you drink lots of fluid during the day - the more you
pee, the more likely you are to wash any germs out of your bladder
before they can gain a foothold, so to speak.

Secondly, drink a small glass of cranberry juice twice a day. Regular
cranberry juice consumption has been shown to reduce the chances of
getting a UTI (actually, to be strictly accurate, the research was done
with a mixture of cranberry and lingonberry juice - I don't know whether
it makes a difference, but if you see any lingonberry juice for sale you
could try drinking that as well). Apparently the anti-germ effect
doesn't last a full 24 hours, so that's why it's a good idea to drink it
twice daily instead of just once daily.

As somebody else said, it may also be worth making sure you always wipe
front-to-back when going to the toilet rather than the other way around.

All the best,

Sarah

--
"I once requested an urgent admission for a homeopath who had become depressed
and taken a massive underdose" - Phil Peverley