crib mattress issue

Old June 29th 07, 05:43 PM posted to alt.infertility.pregnancy,misc.kids.pregnancy
yellowgirl

Default crib mattress issue

So, we have our crib and a crib mattress. Problem, naturally. Seems
our crib (which is very pretty and I *love*) only has one level for
the crib mattress. I guess lots have two levels, and you start in the
higher position and then lower it when the kid gets older and wants to
climb out. Well, our crib only *has* the lower position. With the
crib mattress in, it is kinda deep/low. I'm picturing lots of back
issues in getting the girl out of the crib in the early
months........ was back at the store and looked at the floor model,
and they have TWO mattresses, one on top of the other, to raise up the
crib bottom. We could do that, but is there a safety concern with
doing so? I'd much rather trade back aches for safety concerns, but
does anyone know if it *is* a safety concern? The crib mattresses all
seem to be standard size, so fit pretty snuggly against the crib, but
is there still a risk?

Thanks in advance!

Yellowgirl

Old June 29th 07, 05:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"yellowgirl" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Does the side not drop down? When I looked at cots the basic rule was that
if there was only one level then one side would drop down. Personally I
prefer the drop side anyway.
Debbie

Old June 29th 07, 06:12 PM posted to alt.infertility.pregnancy,misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

I can't imagine what the risk would be. It's not like adding another
mattress underneath the first makes it any softer or something. It just
raises it up, just like another position would do.

Bummer that the crib only has one position. That really is a help when they
are tiny and you are getting them in and out of the crib several times a
day.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old June 29th 07, 06:13 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

"Welches" wrote in message

[...]

Our crib has two positions AND a side that drops down. The best of all
worlds! : )
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old June 29th 07, 08:35 PM posted to alt.infertility.pregnancy,misc.kids.pregnancy
Paula[_2_]

[...]

Could you sew up a tight cover for both mattresses that say has buttons or
velcro underneath? I am sure using two won't be an issue at all, but having
them basically sandwiched together might make you feel better...

Hugs
Paula
(just visiting!)

Old June 29th 07, 08:56 PM posted to alt.infertility.pregnancy,misc.kids.pregnancy
yellowgirl

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately my crib does *not* have the
side rail drop thing, which seems to make it much sturdier, but.......

Paula-- ME sew? Bwahahaha! Funny! I almost flunked out of Home
Economics in high school! But not a bad idea to get someone to do it
for me!

Yellowgirl

Old June 29th 07, 09:07 PM posted to alt.infertility.pregnancy,misc.kids.pregnancy
mar66rus2

On Jun 29, 3:56 pm, yellowgirl wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately my crib does *not* have the
side rail drop thing, which seems to make it much sturdier, but.......

Paula-- ME sew? Bwahahaha! Funny! I almost flunked out of Home
Economics in high school! But not a bad idea to get someone to do it
for me!

Yellowgirl

I would think that two mattresses would be ok....they are both hard
and firm so it wouldn't make it any softer....just rise it up.

I hear ya on the sewing thing. If I need a seem redone or a button
sewen on, you know who I take it to....DH. Yep, he does the
sewing....he is way more domesticated than I am.

April

Old June 29th 07, 09:10 PM posted to alt.infertility.pregnancy,misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

"mar66rus2" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 29, 3:56 pm, yellowgirl wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately my crib does *not* have the
side rail drop thing, which seems to make it much sturdier, but.......

Paula-- ME sew? Bwahahaha! Funny! I almost flunked out of Home
Economics in high school! But not a bad idea to get someone to do it
for me!

I really don't think that they need to be sandwiched together with any sort
of crib sheet contraption. Exactly how do you think that the baby could get
between the mattresses? Have you ever tried to change a crib sheet? It's a
pain in the butt, and you have to almost completely pull the mattress up on
each side to get the elastic sheet around it. They don't come up that
easily, either. It takes a bit of pulling.

There isn't any more danger with two mattresses than there would be with
one.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old June 29th 07, 10:37 PM posted to alt.infertility.pregnancy,misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

I would have no problem with putting two mattresses in a crib.... I
can't see how in any way there could be risk of harm to your baby. As
long as they are both snug and fit as they should. Sucks that it only
came with one setting.

-KAC

Old June 30th 07, 01:29 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

hmm, I'm thinking that back issues are less of a problem when the baby
is small then when it's a toddler - even though they can stand up and
put there arms up to you, they won't always do it and putting them in
you do tend to have to position them lieing down yourself, so if you
think it's going to be an issue with a baby, then it will be with a
toddler too - so you might want to get another crib.

What about a drop side, almost all have them and it's not always that
obvious, I'd managed to forget ours does as when our 2nd was born (just
over 2 yrs ago), we made a decision to never drop the side, so that
neither she, nor big brother was ever aware that it was possible, I
could imagine big brother trying to drop it and all sorts of things
occuring.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with using 2 matresses, SIDS is
still not well understood and there are all sorts of musings about what
role the mattress has including how air circulates, I'd be wondering if
it might sag slightly more in the middle and change patterns etc. Plus,
I think the height difference between the different settings is more
like two mattresses, maybe even more.

Cheers
Anne