Colic / gas build up

Old July 15th 07, 08:39 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

Default Colic / gas build up

Thanks, I'll try this after cutting out dairy, see what works best for baby.

"Rebecca Jo" wrote in message
"Karen (LG)" wrote:

My 7 week old has been constantly crying since 5am. Doc says it's just
gas but nothing is working to relieve it. Both DH and I are exhausted and
pulling our hair out trying to soothe him.

Any help / advice appreciated ladies.

This is how my friend's child showed signs of his wheat allergy. You could
try an elimination diet and see if that helps. Within 2 days of her
stopping the wheat, her child was completely different. Before that he
would just scream for hours.

I hope you all get some relief soon.

--
Rebecca Jo
Mama to Alexander 6/6/05 & Jack 7/7/07

Old July 15th 07, 08:42 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

I took Connor to the docs and he all but said it was my fault.

He said '' are you holding him properly so he can't take too much air in?
Don't give him the soother to calm him it makes thigs worse, and put him on
the bottle so your DH can help?''

I was in shock

According to most stats, breastfed babies are the least affected by colic,
it's also what's best for my baby, so WHY would he want me to put him on the
bottle !! Without a soother my son would be stuck to my breast 24/7 as he
nuzzles to sleep after eating.

Old July 15th 07, 08:51 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Irrational Number

Karen (LG) wrote:

I took Connor to the docs and he all but said it was my fault.

He said '' are you holding him properly so he can't take too much air in?
Don't give him the soother to calm him it makes thigs worse, and put him on
the bottle so your DH can help?''

Your doctor is on crack. (Sorry.) Babies who
are breastfed actually take in less air. It's
bottles that give a lot of air. I used to burp
DS#2, but he would throw up. I stopped burping
him about a couple of weeks after he was born
and he was fine. (I was also completely off
dairy just in case.)

According to most stats, breastfed babies are the least affected by colic,
it's also what's best for my baby, so WHY would he want me to put him on the
bottle !! Without a soother my son would be stuck to my breast 24/7 as he
nuzzles to sleep after eating.

Trust your gut. I find doctors are good when
you actually have a cold or RSV or bronchitis.
When it comes to colicky babies, even pediatricians
(especially the ones who don't have children
themselves) don't really know.

-- Anita --
Old July 15th 07, 09:28 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Rebecca Jo

"Karen (LG)" wrote:

I took Connor to the docs and he all but said it was my fault.

He said '' are you holding him properly so he can't take too much air in?
Don't give him the soother to calm him it makes thigs worse, and put him
on the bottle so your DH can help?''

I was in shock

According to most stats, breastfed babies are the least affected by colic,
it's also what's best for my baby, so WHY would he want me to put him on
the bottle !! Without a soother my son would be stuck to my breast 24/7 as
he nuzzles to sleep after eating.

Your doctor is wrong. Putting him on a bottle would likely make it worse as
he'd be swallowing more air that way. I think your doctor just doesn't know
what's wrong, so he's grasping at straws.

I'd definitely try the dairy-free diet and see if that helps. It's not your
fault! I hope you figure out the trigger soon.

Hugs,
Rebecca

Old July 15th 07, 09:56 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Karen,
It sounds like you might want to find another pediatrician. This one isn't
very supportive.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Old July 15th 07, 11:45 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

I've been looking at others replies and a lot of them seem to be based
as if this had been a regular thing, but I'm not clear from your post if
it is or not. Bad days happen and if it's been one bad day, I'd be
inclined to do nothing, you don't want to go eliminating food on the
basis of one bad day. Similarly is the crying high pitched and is he
arching is back as if in pain in the stomach? See if you can get hold of
"The happiest baby on the block" by Harvey Karp, it's been highly
recommended for tips for soothing your baby.

If you really do thing it is related to what is in your milk and you do
decided to remove dairy from your diet, you do have to be really
thorough, you need to cut out things with hidden dairy as well and you
also need to be have them completely out of your diet for 2 full weeks
before you even consider what the effect is on the baby - so it's not
easy - if it is what is causing your baby problems it's a smart thing to
do, babies with dairy problems seem to be at higher risk of developing
problems with soy, which if you do formula feed, leaves you stuck with
ridiculously expensive hypoallergenic formula.

If you do do this and find that it does work, then after a few weeks,
I'd suggest reintroducing some of the other possible gas causing things
like broccoli as they contain lots of the nutrients that you're likely
to reduce by cutting out dairy.

Cheers
Anne
Old July 17th 07, 04:48 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

Thanks everyone, just really needed the ''pat on the back'' you're doing the
right thing, nudge I guess, to keep me going.

Doctor upset me at a time when I was low but as usual you girls cheered me
up and gave me the support I needed. Many many thanks.

--
Karen
DS 25th Sept 1984 - VB 8lb 12oz (Adopted)

Old July 31st 07, 07:46 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

On Jul 14, 3:30 pm, "Karen \(LG\)" wrote:
My 7 week old has been constantly crying since 5am. Doc says it's just gas
but nothing is working to relieve it. Both DH and I are exhausted and
pulling our hair out trying to soothe him.

Any help / advice appreciated ladies.

--

My baby (now 8 yrs old) had severe colic. We experienced all you
mentioned in your original post.

While I was pregnent, she was in so much pain that she broke my water
by kicking so hard I heard the impact. The moment she was born, she
stood stiff legged against my chest when she had a stomach pain.

I couldn't have a break, because whoever I left her with (aunt or
grandma), the person taking care of her would be crying when I picked
up my daughter.

The doc mad me mad with the same questioning your doc put you
through. Her bowel movements stopped after bringing her home from the
hospital and she ended up having minor sugery at 12 weeks for a very
tight rectum. This surgery took the highest pitch out of her scream,
but she was so used to crying every waking hour that she didn't know
how to stop.

Once she became mobile and able to carry objects around, she became
increasingly happier. Somewhere in the mix, she developed night
terrors (sudden screaming while sleeping up to six times a night).
The night terrors stopped by age four and I was finally able to sleep
well for the first time in four years.

Now, at 8 yrs, she has no memory of the ordeal, she's in the gifted
and talented program at school, plays violin, has a lot of friends,
and smiles a lot!!

My patience wore thin, but I always tried to smile when she looked at
me while she sceamed. Most smiles were fake especially after the
eighth hour of screaming, but I didn't want her to sense any
frustration from me.

Hang in there.

fennel seed tea for colic? luna Pregnancy 9 October 24th 04 06:02 AM
baby colic Sally Pregnancy 0 August 27th 04 07:15 PM
baby colic Sally General 0 August 27th 04 07:13 PM
baby colic Sally Kids Health 0 August 27th 04 07:10 PM
Colic cure Aaron Pregnancy 8 April 25th 04 01:51 AM