tooth decay-1yr old

Old October 6th 06, 05:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Joy

Default tooth decay-1yr old

I have a question about tooth decay. My baby is one (sob) already, and
I noticed on his newly emerged top tooth that there is some brown with
a pit on it.

A little history:

Grant has been through several surgeries with anesthesia and he's been
on frequent antibiotics (prohylaxis and treating). He also had a time
where he was losing weight (diarrhea for close to a month and a half),
and he's now on vitamin drops with iron and flouride. He started
eating solids about a month ago, but breastmilk has been his main
source of food.

I can't remember, but do antibiotics contribute to tooth decay? What
happens with a little one who has tooth decay? I know it's been
mentioned on here before, and I need to do some searching. I feel
pretty bummed about it. We haven't seen anybody about it yet. Do you
see a ped first?

I think I'm forgetting something, but that'll be it for now. Thanks
for any help!

Joy

Old October 6th 06, 10:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KR

When my daughter was about 18 months she was on antibiotics and I
noticed that her teeth were brown by the gums. I got really upset and
thought I wasn't brushing enough, but they did go away! I originally
had an appointment with my dentist but after talking to another mom
found out that it often happens with antibiotics.

The pit would worry me though. I would probably go to a dentist, but
your Dr. is a good choice as well... I'm not sure what they do for
decay at such a young age.

Katherine

Old October 7th 06, 04:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

Joy,

That sounds pretty similar to the way William's first tooth looked when
it appeared. That's not good news, I'm afraid. The enamel continued
to chip off his tooth, all four front top teeth were affected, and
within two years they were literally crumbling. He had to have
pulpotomies and crowns and extractions, and a year or so after the
surgery one of the crowns (and the tooth) split and he is now toothless
on top!

I'd take Grant to a pediatric dentist. We did not take William right
away; perhaps there is something they can do if they catch it early.
However, they are very likely to try to blame night nursing for the
problem and tell you to stop. I ignored this, personally, since I knew
the teeth were bad from the start.

I hope Grant's problem is not as big a deal as William's has been! As
if you and he didn't have enough to deal with already!

Happy Birthday to Grant, BTW.

Leslie

Old October 7th 06, 01:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Fluoride causes teeth to grow in brown and pitted. Some anesthesia
also contain fluoride.
MD's and DDS's haven't caught up with the new literature showing that
ingested fluoride confers no benefits and only delivers risks. Here'
an article that speaks to fluoride supplements:

http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...uoridesupp.asp

For more info
Fluoridation 101
www.orgsites.com/ny/nyscof

www.FluorideAction.Net/health

Old October 8th 06, 02:07 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Stormlady

That's what I was also going to suggest. On the outside of the teeth,
fluoride is great, ingested, it really does bad things to the teeth.
Especially the adult teeth!

ps.com...

Old October 30th 06, 07:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Joybelle

Thank you for the replies and help to this post. The whole issue got put on
the back burner as we dealt with a tibia fracture. I am planning on seeing
a dentist at the specialty clinic he goes to, and I'll update when that
happens. Thanks!

Joy

oups.com...