Name suggestions please

Old May 31st 04, 03:10 AM
A&G&K

Default Name suggestions please

"A&G&K" wrote in message
OK ... I'm after any and all suggestions.
It feels like pulling teeth to have to ask others for suggestions, but I
figure that asking you guys is probably the best bet for a lot of input
without any great expectations that we will use your suggestion (unlike my
MIL who has been pushing for a name she knows we don't like).

We have our list together, but are having a few issues in finding the
*right* name. We need to pick out both a boys and a girls name.

Some guidelines:
Generally, *I* like names that have withstood the test of time, and we'd
prefer it if it isn't in the top fifty names of the year (but even if its

most popular Australian name for the year, that won't stop us using it if

we
both manage to really like it). DH has had some good suggestions and some
hideously awful ones as well ('Sheridan' and 'Carmelle' being the latest 2
that push my buttons).
'Kate' and 'Victoria' are already taken (DD).
*I* like 'Elizabeth' (mainly because I *love* the nickname 'Lizzie'), I

love
'Josephine' and I also like 'Sophia'. I also like the names 'Harry' and
'Angus' (but have already been vetoed on Angus).
Our last name is 'Wright' (which rules out Orville, Wilbur, Eileen, Shelby
and others that make silly sayings).
All suggestions will be considered.

Thanks
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Great suggestions everyone - please keep them coming.
It seems that people are suggesting a lot of the names on *my* list already
.... so someone is bound to suggest the magic name that is missing from my
list that will make DH happy soon
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old May 31st 04, 04:09 AM
Megan Byrne

I just had to comment that my Mom's maiden name is Sheridan and I have
always loved it (just not a fan of the nickname Sheri) I *always* heard
it was big in Australia, so to hear you mention DH likes it was pretty
cool!

EDD #3 2-2-05

Megan~
Mommy to
Aidan & Alexis born 9/28/02
Twin Angels..
baby boy 6/20/01 (18 weeks)
baby girl 7/1/01 (20 weeks)

www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aidannalexis

Old May 31st 04, 04:40 AM
Melody

Yes, American births. Go to this site --
http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/ -- there's a form down on the page

where
you can request the top 1000 names of 2003. This site also lets you view
the top 1000 of different decades, for every decade of the 20th century.

Good grief, the boy list from 2003 (starting at the bottom of the 1000 name
list & going up) looks like a reverse spelling bee. WTF are these people
thinking?

Old May 31st 04, 11:40 PM
A&G&K

"Alpha" wrote in message
ink.net...
Is that an American site?

Yes, American births. Go to this site --
http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/ -- there's a form down on the page

where
you can request the top 1000 names of 2003. This site also lets you view
the top 1000 of different decades, for every decade of the 20th century.

That's a bit of an eye-opener. Some of the names at the bottom of the list
are quite popular here I think (or at least I've heard them a few times
lately ... Fletcher, Campbell, Anais). Mind you, I think some of the
'alternative spellings' are a little strange
Thanks
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

[...]

Johanna (Hanna) Amelia, Olivia, Natalie, Nicole, Amy, Molly,

Margaret(Maggie) Susanne...
William, Thomas, Tobias (Toby) Henry,Harrison, David, James, Christian,
Robert
(Robbie)
hard to find a name you both like isn't it, once DH and I found one we both
didn't hate we grabbed it, we don't love the name but it far better than
other names either of us chose....(DH wanted Clark, Hugh and Elvis!)
Nicholas James it will be.
Alissa

Old June 1st 04, 07:41 AM
zolw

I really like all the girls names you mentioned. I would go for
Sophia.

As for a boy, I must say that I don't like any of the boys names you
mentioned BUT listen, it is because I don't like names that carry a
personality with them. You should give your son a name that gives him
space to develop his own personality. Please don't be angry But maybe
I would go for Harry out of the names you mentioned.

Old June 1st 04, 09:51 PM
PattyMomVA

"Vicki S" wrote and I snipped:

Boy names I like: Lionel, Theodore, Timothy, Orlando, Thayer, Abraham,
Elijah, Elliot, Ethan, Evan, Griffin, Isaiah, Josiah, Julian, Nathaniel,
Samuel, Sebastian, Seth

Girl names I like: Corinne, Adele, Amelia, Chloe, Nurya (Nuria),
Eleanor, Emily, Hannah, Miranda, Rose, Sarah, Cecile, Celeste,
Charlotte, Chloe, Clara, Claudia, Daphne, Emma, Fiona, Georgia, Grace,
Helena, Leah, Lily, Lydia, Miranda, Olivia, Rosemary, Sophia

Vicki, I've seen your favorites lists before and noticed we like a lot of
the same names (see my sig, Nathan was supposed to be Nathaniel until we
decided on Gabriel, after my DH, as a middle name).

Anyway, I'm guessing your new little one will be either Lionel or Corinne???
Does your DH have similar tastes?

-Patty, mom to Corinne (6y) and Nathan (4y)
and stepmom to Victoria (14y)

Old June 1st 04, 11:23 PM
A&G&K

"zolw" wrote in message
I really like all the girls names you mentioned. I would go for
Sophia.

As for a boy, I must say that I don't like any of the boys names you
mentioned BUT listen, it is because I don't like names that carry a
personality with them. You should give your son a name that gives him
space to develop his own personality. Please don't be angry But maybe
I would go for Harry out of the names you mentioned.

Ohh I'd never be angry ... life would be so boring if we all liked the same
thing Harry is my 2nd fav name ... its not too common here, but everyone
knows it. The problem is that I don't like "Harold" ... so we'd have to
pick "Harrison" which I'm less fond of.... so its not firm even with me
(although DH doesn't *hate* it).
Angus has been my fav boys name for ages - not many around these parts and I
think it would suit a child of ours. I also like Fergus, Hamish. Liam,
Spencer, and Henry ... which I'm sure aren't everyone's cup of tea. But you
see, I'm not a fan of David, Andrew, Benjamin, Paul, Dean, Glenn, or
Anthony (neither is DH) but I know a lot of people like those names.

But yes - I do love Sophia .. and if psychic Sophie is right then its a
girl's name we need to pick
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old June 1st 04, 11:49 PM
Vicki S

X-No-Archive

"PattyMomVA" wrote:
Vicki, I've seen your favorites lists before and noticed we like a lot of
the same names ...
Anyway, I'm guessing your new little one will be either Lionel or Corinne???

That's a good question! And the answer is absolutely not! ;-)
The names in my favorites list are not ones I would use, because DH
and I insist on Jewish names. I don't bother listing my favorite
Jewish names because the number of interested folk is so much smaller
and I don't need the competition. ;-) I would really enjoy boosting
the number of Lionels and Corinnes though!

I haven't posted my kids names in a long time, so hopefully that
X-no-archive thing will work, but:

my son is Raziel Josiah. We call him Razi most of the time. Raziel
is a fairly obscure angel who guards a book of secrets, Raziel means
"G-d is my secret" or "secret of G-d" in Aramaic. I bled a lot in my
pregnancy with him, plus he followed a miscarriage and several years
of infertility, so we figured the boy had some powerful help getting
here. Josiah was a good and righteous (biblical) king in a long line
of corrupt kings. See 2Kings 21, 22 and 23. Also Raziel is for my
mother's mother, Rachel (though she went by Rose) and Josiah is for my
mother's father Joseph.

and my daughter is Zipporah Yael. We call her Zora most of the time.
Zipporah and Yael are notable biblical women. Zipporah was Moses'
wife, and most interesting to me, she once saved Moses' life. G-d,
rather inexplicably, suddenly decides to kill Moses and Zipporah saves
him with what I have to interpret as some ancient form of blood magic.
See Exodus 4:24-26 for the odd little story. Yael (see Judges, ch 4)
also has a bloody story. She killed an enemy of Israel and is
remembered gratefully for doing so. Both women were not born Jewish
but have been "adopted" into the Jewish people, and both names are
considered fully Jewish. My husband converted to Judaism and
particularly likes that about the names. I like that they were
strong, no-nonsense women who are remembered for their deeds, not just
because of who they married or birthed.

So number three will have a similarly Jewish name. Plus it'll have a
"z" in it somewhere. But that's all I'll cop to.

BUT! If I hadn't married the man I married, I probably would have a
Lionel and a Corinne. I LOVE both names. And this next one?
Orlando, Thayer, Elliot, Griffin, Josiah, Julius, and Sebastian would
all be quite high on my list. (I don't have any scientific proof that
he is a boy, I just feel it deep in my bones. :-)

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995. Ima shel Stoic, born 11/16/99;

C-section - care package for recovery - suggestions? John Pregnancy 8 January 19th 04 11:55 PM
Need suggestions: toys to bring on airplane for a 1-year-old dodo General 8 January 5th 04 04:47 PM
Anyone think I shouldn't name my daughter Hypatia Artemis? Other suggestions? andrea baker General (moderated) 29 January 2nd 04 01:08 PM
gift suggestions P. Tierney General 9 December 9th 03 05:12 AM
Bra suggestions Larry McMahan Pregnancy 4 August 6th 03 05:08 PM