"But you're not supposed to start showing/need maternity clothes til 5 or 6 months"

Old January 13th 06, 06:54 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default "But you're not supposed to start showing/need maternity clothes til 5 or 6 months"

cjra wrote:
-Said most often by someone who's never been pregnant, it's just what
they "knew".

I find this funny, so now I'm curious about others' experiences.

By 10 weeks I had a belly big enough to require clothes in a bigger
size, but not maternity clothes. It was obvious only to those who knew,
but that's 'cause I tend to wear large loose clothing anyway. By 13
weeks until 15, I needed yet another larger size (2 sizes bigger than
normal) in trousers to account for the belly, and same for tops to
account for the growing breats (my large loose tops just weren't
enough). And now at 16 weeks tomorrow, even those trousers no longer
fit around the waist, the tops are all too small - I need maternity
trousers.

I'm still able to get away with looking like I'm getting fat, as I'm
trying to avoid telling work for 2 more weeks, but to those who know I
look very obviously pregnant. FWIW - oddly enough I've gained no
weight since becoming pg. But according to those who know everything
"You're not supposed to have a belly/start showing yet." Hmmmmm.

With my first pregnancy I was in maternity clothes well before 16
weeks. With #2, #3 and #4 it was closer to 20 weeks. Actually with #4
I was due at the end of February and when school finished for the year
in December some people hadn't yet noticed I was pregnant. They found
out when we went back to school at the beginning of February (in
Australia our long break is over January) so for at least one mum at
school my pregnancy only lasted 2 weeks.

Cheryl

Old January 13th 06, 03:57 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Don't worry about it. I got that question asked all my first pregnancy
(heck, I was wondering about it myself at some point).

The worst I had was at month 8 a pregnant woman at the swimming pool looked
at me and said : "Oh gosh. The last time I saw you I really thought you
could never get bigger, and now look at you!"

"Mogget" wrote in message
In message , Zaz
writes

My mother, on the other hand, didn't start to show before her 6th months
with my brother. At the same time, people were asking her friend, also
pregnant, if she was expecting twins!

Ooooh, now that one pushes my buttons. I get asked that every day,
usually more than once. As a diabetic, I work very hard to keep my blood
sugars flat and achieve (amongst other things) totally normal growth for
my baby. Multiple scans confirm this is a *totally* normal-sized baby.
So when people ask if I'm having twins, what I hear is that they're
accusing me of being undisciplined.
--
Mogget

Old January 13th 06, 04:05 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I've received similar comments, I tend to just get a little rounder
except at the very end when I look most pregnant. I'm tall and have
plenty of room vertically so I really don't pop out. I wore my regular
jeans to my Level II u/s yesterday, I'm 22 weeks and this is my 7th
baby. I'm also down 10 lbs from my start weight due to hyperemesis. My
baby girl is measuring right where she should be even if *I* don't look
"right". Funny thing, the most pregnant I ever looked was with my
first, I was also at my skinniest.
Pregnant women can't win, either we're too small and there is something
wrong with our baby or we are too big and we are either eating wrong or
having twins.

karen

Old January 13th 06, 04:33 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Zaz wrote:

The worst I had was at month 8 a pregnant woman at the swimming pool
looked at me and said : "Oh gosh. The last time I saw you I really
thought you could never get bigger, and now look at you!"

That is awful. I'm the opposite because I'm so tall. Naked I look huge
(you can see the *length* of the bump then ;-) but with clothes on I don't
look all that big until the very end, *especially* the first time around. I
was in line with a woman that was quite short and the poor thing was
enormous. She looked so miserable and was only 7 months. I remember her
and the cashier telling me to 'just wait until I get that far along'. I
just smiled and didn't have the heart to tell her I was due in less then 2
weeks.

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old January 13th 06, 04:35 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Elle wrote:
cjra wrote:

Even tho the loose fitting clothes have fit around the bum/legs, and I
have these great trousers with stretchy waists which I figured would
last me well into the second tri-mester, I've found that they're
extremely uncomfortable. They "fit", but the waist band just cuts at
the wrong place. And all my other trousers fit lower, but I have to
leave the button on done, and now it's becoming more and more
difficult. Even those baggy shirts tend to pull a bit around the belly.

If you wear untucked shirts, have you tried putting an elastic band
around the button of your pants, then through the button hole, then
back around the button? I used that trick to keep wearing some of my
favorite pants as long as possible.

That's what I do . More than anything though, it's just uncomfortable.
Even elastic-waist pants are uncomfortable now, because they just cut
at the wrong place.

Old January 13th 06, 10:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
. ..

But that's just what you are reading into it, not what they are responding
to. What they are responding to is the size of your belly. Warrented or
not, people say stupid things to pregnant women all the time -- "oh my

GAWD,
you're huge!" "Are you sure it's not twins?" "You're due when?" "There's
no way you can last another month that big!" Doi.

It's not you, it's them, really. Don't take any of those comments to

heart
or personally.

Yep... I got everything from "you are sooooo small" to "you are so huge".
Sometimes within the same day. People just make comments and that's that.
They say inane things that pop into their heads because they want to
comment. They really aren't commenting on you personally they're just
making small talk. Think of yourself as the weather, and you'll be fine.

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
Grant 9-05

Old January 14th 06, 02:23 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

:-p

Sometimes life is not fair. Even now, with this pregnancy started at a
healthy weight (well, almost), after 4.5 months I look about 7 months
pregnant.

Old January 14th 06, 02:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
. ..

Warrented or
not, people say stupid things to pregnant women all the time -- "oh my

GAWD,
you're huge!" "Are you sure it's not twins?" "You're due when?" "There's
no way you can last another month that big!" Doi.

It's not you, it's them, really. Don't take any of those comments to

heart
or personally.

Yup. People are stupid and insensitive. I'll never understand it. But having
dealt with it a few times, I've learned that the kindest thing I can do is
simply compliment a pregnant woman. I really do try to make a point of
always telling my pregnant friends and acquaintances how wonderful they
look. You can always find something to compliment, and it means so much,
when you keep hearing about how big (or little) you look.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (4 years),

Old January 14th 06, 03:38 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"hobbes" wrote in message
Yup. People are stupid and insensitive. I'll never understand it. But

having
dealt with it a few times, I've learned that the kindest thing I can do is
simply compliment a pregnant woman.

I don't even acknowledge pregnant women anymore. A person cannot win with
what they say, so I don't say anything at all. I know for me, I get tired of
the you have your hands full comment because I have three kids, very close
in age.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 16th 06, 07:49 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Zaz wrote:
:-p

Sometimes life is not fair. Even now, with this pregnancy started at a
healthy weight (well, almost), after 4.5 months I look about 7 months
pregnant.

Well I have twins this time so I get to pay my dues, lol.