Fish oils treat ADHD better than prescription drugs, study shows

Old June 21st 06, 11:12 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Default Fish oils treat ADHD better than prescription drugs, study shows

Sad you thought Mark's remark was soooo funny.

"Sumbuny" wrote in message

"Mark Probert" wrote in message

However, she did not mention that the kids had an overwhelming urge to
swim upstream.

ROTFLMHO!!!!

Imagine kids going against the flow....whose kids would *that* be?????

--
Buny

" Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be
normal."
~ Albert Camus

Old June 21st 06, 11:25 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Raving Loonie wrote:
Jan Drew wrote:
"Raving Loonie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jan Drew wrote:

As for natural products not being carcinogenic?

ROTFLMAO ...

For example ...

Look into just how carcinogenic 'capsicum' ( The active ingredient in
hot peppers ) is ....

( I only discovered this little tidbit of knowledge in the past few
years! )

Think about it the next time you eat suicide 'hot' chicken wings ...

Cordially,

RL

Uhm...

Loonie, you are raving. You have strayed from the subject.

Is that better?

I changed the topic.

Excellent.
Old June 21st 06, 11:26 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Jan Drew wrote:
Sad you thought Mark's remark was soooo funny.

Sad that you have no sense of humor.

Old June 21st 06, 11:29 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Jan Drew wrote:
"Mark Probert" wrote in message
Jan Drew wrote:
http://www.newstarget.com/z019432.html
NewsTarget.com printable article
Originally published June 20 2006
Fish oils treat ADHD better than prescription drugs, study shows
According to the results of a new study from the University of South
Australia, fish oil is more effective at treating children with attention
deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) than stimulant drugs, such as
commonly prescribed Ritalin.
The 15-week study, which included 132 children ages 7 to 12, split the
children into three groups. The first group received a daily dose of
omega-3 fish oil; the second group received the fish oil plus a
multi-vitamin and mineral pill; and the third group received a placebo.

This paragraph highlights a problem with the headline of the article. The
headline reads "Fish oils treat ADHD *better than* prescription drugs".
When comparing items (the use of *better than*), one should actually use
the items being compared.

Have you?

The person who wrote the headline implied that the study compared fish
oils and prescription medications, when the actual article clearly said
that this was not done.

Since this study clearly did not compare fish oil to prescription drugs
there is absolutely no way to claim that they are more effective than
prescription drugs.

Do write them and complain. I'll bet they will refer to your x-pert
knowledge of how studies should be done.

I would refer them to Grammar For Dummies, to show them the illogic of
the headline considering the contents of the article.

Your study is published where??

Up thread. Look it up. It concerns the use of the comparative
conjunction "better than".

By the end of the study, the children in the first and second groups
showed major improvement in the reduction of hyperactivity symptoms and
also displayed increased levels of concentration, compared to the placebo
group.

Natalie Sinn, the study's leader, said the results showed that omega-3
fish oils boosted the concentration and brainpower in kids displaying
ADHD symptoms, but without the side effects of Ritalin, which can include
hallucinations, heart problems and aggressive behavior.

However, she did not mention that the kids had an overwhelming urge to
swim upstream.

Because she isn't a liar. She did mention (just a few) of the side effects
of Ritalin.

Actually, because you are devoid of a sense of humor. Sad that.

Old June 21st 06, 11:37 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Raving Loonie wrote:
Jan Drew wrote:
[...]

I don't see the comparison to meds prescribed for ADHD. Was there
another group that was given prescription meds? One cannot weigh the
efficacy of one means over another without having data by which to
compare, in a controlled setting.

Mega doses of fish oil for an extended period had zero effect on me.

I bet your hair and skin were better, though. Fish oil is good for
you, but like with any other nutrient, it's best when taken as nature
intended. There are components in any food that work together to
maximize absorption of those components. shrug

Ginko leaf, however seems to have a real, and moderately potetent
psychoactive effect.
It's a real drug. ... only it isn't prescribed and it doesn't have the
'modern medicine' label attached to it.

True about Gingko being a "real drug." It's frustrating that people
think herbals aren't "real" medicine. Be careful with Gingko if you
have any clotting issues. I don't recall atm and am too sleepy to look
it up, but it's either a vassal dilator or an anticoagulant. That's
why it works so well to improve focus.

I loved the effects of drinking a cup of Gingko tea in the morning.
But I have clotting issues and cerebral bleeds run in my family, so I
had to give it up. If you don't have those issues to worry about,
ginkgo tea is a wonderful thing.

Ginko gives me weird memory connections. they seem like garbage
associations to me. If I consumed enough, I wouldn't be surprised to
discover that I was hallucinating.

I didn't have any problems like that with ginkgo. I *was* able to go
through 600+ emails a day, though. LOL... made my abuse investigation
job go *much* more smoothly than did a nutty bar for breakfast with a
jumbo cup of mocha made with programmer coffee plus 2 pkts of hot cocoa
mix. ;-)

Anyone who imagines that natural or herbal remedies are signifcantly
different from 'big business' pharmaceuticals because they are quote
"Natural ..." is harboring a foolish and dangerous CONCEPTION.

Agreed. No matter the method of choice in dealing with health issues,
one must always educate oneself on all the possible contra-indications.

Many oif the controlled substances in use today are natural

opium
coccaine
barbituates .. mandrax (pheynolbarbitol ) mandrax(ke) root (?)

etc , etc.

Who are you fooling, eh?

Gracias, RL, for pointing that out. I think it's been a while since
that was brought up.

OK, gotta go try to get a couple of new babies used to the idea of a
bottle.

Kitten

Old June 21st 06, 11:38 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Caitriona Mac Fhiodhbhuidhe wrote:
Mark Probert wrote:
Raving Loonie wrote:
Mark Probert wrote:
Raving Loonie wrote:
Jan Drew wrote:
[...]

Makes my fingernails sweat.
It's no joke!

IIRC, the rate of stomach cancer is 5 to 10 times ( or more ) higher
in countries such as Mexico which consume a lot of hot pepper.

I never knew this, until a few years ago !!!!

Got a link. I do not use it, or consume any foods made with it since I
do not like how I feel after eating it, so it is not my concern.
However, others may benefit.

Actually, the American Cancer Society has info about its use for pain
management and says that there are some proponents who claim it may
help with cancer. Nothing mentioned about it causing cancer. I'd
think that if there were evidence that it's a carcinogen, the ACA would
definitely have that posted. Here's the link to their page on
capsicum:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/co...p?sitearea=ETO

O.K.

So the plot thickens.

I would be delighted to discover that I have been misinformed. I love
the stuff.

But ....

My gut feeling is that what I am recalling is reasonable.

Does anyone else know of this?

Cordially,

RL

Old June 21st 06, 11:41 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Mark Probert wrote:
Raving Loonie wrote:
Mark Probert wrote:
Raving Loonie wrote:
Jan Drew wrote:
[...]

Regardless, it still makes me sweat like back in the jungle. I am too
old for that.

Old June 21st 06, 11:53 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Mark Probert wrote:
Jan Drew wrote:

snipped
Loonie, you are raving. You have strayed from the subject.

RL posts from asad where straying from the subject is the norm.

Yes, it is to be expected. It's, after all, a result of...

Oh, look! A moth!

Kitten

Old June 21st 06, 11:54 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Sumbuny wrote:
"Mark Probert" wrote in message

However, she did not mention that the kids had an overwhelming urge to
swim upstream.

ROTFLMHO!!!!

Imagine kids going against the flow....whose kids would *that* be?????

imagines little bunnies hopping backwards

Kitten

Old June 22nd 06, 12:00 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Jan Drew wrote:
"Raving Loonie" wrote in message
oups.com...

I was not. What made you think....I was?

I merely posted a study which proves it does help.

Maybe you have called it directly as you see it.

No. I did not call it. The study proved it.

And maybe that really is the point, here.
(thus I truncate to emphasize merely that ... )

I suppose that it's just human nature. We are all like this, regardless
of whether we, at one time or another "know" not to be so. Mark isn't
any different on this than yourself.

What do I see?

Tunneling into the focus of awareness is akin to becoming fascinated
with the trees.

A person is apt to forget about the forest they are exploring.

My comments were intended to address the forest.

HTH

Cordially,

RL