Fish oils treat ADHD better than prescription drugs, study shows

Old June 26th 06, 02:54 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Default Fish oils treat ADHD better than prescription drugs, study shows

Jan Drew wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
stan wrote:
Jan Drew wrote:
http://www.newstarget.com/z019432.html
NewsTarget.com printable article
Originally published June 20 2006
Fish oils treat ADHD better than prescription drugs, study shows
According to the results of a new study from the University of South
Australia, fish oil is more effective at treating children with
attention
deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) than stimulant drugs, such as
commonly
prescribed Ritalin.
The 15-week study, which included 132 children ages 7 to 12, split the
children into three groups. The first group received a daily dose of
omega-3
fish oil; the second group received the fish oil plus a multi-vitamin
and
mineral pill; and the third group received a placebo.

By the end of the study, the children in the first and second groups
showed
major improvement in the reduction of hyperactivity symptoms and also
displayed increased levels of concentration, compared to the placebo
group.

Natalie Sinn, the study's leader, said the results showed that omega-3
fish
oils boosted the concentration and brainpower in kids displaying ADHD
symptoms, but without the side effects of Ritalin, which can include
hallucinations, heart problems and aggressive behavior.
It seems like the study design and the claim made do not
match. There should have been a fourth group - that receiving a
properly prescribed therapeutic daily dosage of methylphenidate
(Ritalin).

And, I have never heard of methylphenidate (or any c.n.s.
stimulant for that matter) causing hallucinations. I am not informed
enough to comment confidently on the claim of "aggression". I will
offer an opinion, 'though, that that can be left to interpretation and
that a research clinician, being a human being, will sometimes find
something just because he/she wants to find or is specifically looking
for it.

The "heart problems" you describe are likely the commonly
known and rather manageable side effect of "edginess" which can be
approximated be a "normy" having had too much coffee, and which can
probably be alleviated by a dosage change, a timing change, taking the
med with food, reducing or eliminating caffeine consumption, and/or
changing the med if THAT particular patient just doesn't achieve an
acceptable cost/benefit ratio from taking methylphenidate.

-stan

Is that YOU, Stanley?

LOL. Poor Mark. Too lazy..or don't know how to click on. Find messages
by this author.

Stan is an old timer from asad and what I typed was a greeting. I know
that being functionally illiterate, as you are, makes one look stupid,
so I will not think that you are a moron for what you posted.
Old June 26th 06, 02:55 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

stan wrote:
Jan Drew wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
stan wrote:
Jan Drew wrote:
[...]

Okay - I know better than this, but I'm impulsive and defensive -
good qualities to have on an open forum, right? Anyway - Jan, this
seems quite a reach just to attempt a jab at Mark. I haven't posted on
here in several years - and wasn't regularly active for several years
before *that*. Thus - it isn't laziness - as I'm sure you already
knew, but more of the "Fred? God - it's been ages! How's the wife and
family?" scenario.

Exactly.

You fightin' with Mark or something - cuz really - kind of a
weird post. You know what a forced rhyme is? Have you ever seen that
(kid) at a party who is trying so hard to fit in and join the
conversation - and he tells a joke that just poops out in mid air, and
all goes silent as the tumbleweed rolls by........?

Chuckle...
Old June 26th 06, 02:56 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Jan Drew wrote:
"stan" wrote:
Jan Drew wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
stan wrote:
Jan Drew wrote:
[...]

*in your opinion*

snip

Poor Jan.
Old June 26th 06, 11:14 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

http://groups.google.com/group/misc....6cb0cf0c953404

G-d has helped in many ways. He gave me the insight to see that calling
you names and abusing you as I was doing was wrong.

"Mark Probert" wrote in message
Jan Drew wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Old June 27th 06, 12:12 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Jan Drew wrote:
http://groups.google.com/group/misc....6cb0cf0c953404

G-d has helped in many ways. He gave me the insight to see that calling
you names and abusing you as I was doing was wrong.

Excuse me? I did not call you a name. It is a fact that you are
functionally illiterate. That is NOT my fault and telling you that is
not meant to be calling you a name.

You chose to ignore my suggestion a few years ago where I told you about
adult ed courses near your home. That was your choice.

"Mark Probert" wrote in message
Jan Drew wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Old June 27th 06, 05:49 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Jan Drew wrote:
http://groups.google.com/group/misc....6cb0cf0c953404

G-d has helped in many ways. He gave me the insight to see that calling
you names and abusing you as I was doing was wrong.

Excuse me?

You need excused.

I did not call you a name.

Comprehension 101.

and abusing you as I was doing was wrong.

It is a fact that you are
functionally illiterate.

No, that is not a fact.

That is NOT my fault and telling you that is
not meant to be calling you a name.

*Agreed. I wil lbe adjusting my style.*

yes, I am adjusting it..fine tuning it...I do not need much to get iot
better...

http://www.torah.org/learning/halash...er4.html#react

You chose to ignore my suggestion a few years ago where I told you about
adult ed courses near your home. That was your choice.

"Mark Probert" wrote in message
Jan Drew wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Old June 27th 06, 02:09 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Jan Drew wrote:
http://groups.google.com/group/misc....6cb0cf0c953404

G-d has helped in many ways. He gave me the insight to see that calling
you names and abusing you as I was doing was wrong.

Excuse me?

You need excused.

It is a rhetorical statement since your post was demonstrative of your
functional illiteracy.

I did not call you a name.

Comprehension 101.

I am way beyond Comprehension 101, try 100000000000000000000000000001.

and abusing you as I was doing was wrong.

That is a fact. Pointing out your deficiencies is not abusing you, but
an effort to help you.

It is a fact that you are
functionally illiterate.

No, that is not a fact.

Of course you would think that, simply because you do not understand
what the problem is.

That is NOT my fault and telling you that is
not meant to be calling you a name.

*Agreed. I wil lbe adjusting my style.*

Exactly.

yes, I am adjusting it..fine tuning it...I do not need much to get iot
better...

http://www.torah.org/learning/halash...er4.html#react

You chose to ignore my suggestion a few years ago where I told you about
adult ed courses near your home. That was your choice.

No response noted.

Poor Jan.

"Mark Probert" wrote in message
Jan Drew wrote: