SaHD Trying to Potty Train! HAALP!!

Old August 26th 03, 05:00 AM
Sonnie B.

Default SaHD Trying to Potty Train! HAALP!!

My DS (2 1/2) have been watching the videos, discussing it, reading
together about it
and working toward using the potty.

After a few weeks of failed efforts, he finally - and willfully - sat
on and successfully
used the potty with "full" results.

Afterwards, he got a special treat of his favorite candy (which is a
very rare treat)
and that night we had a Poopy Party after dinner to celebrate his
first success.
(a brownie with chocolate ice cream, chocolate pudding, hot fudge,
chocolate chips,
and topped with chocolate whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles!)

Here's the punchline: since that single success over a week ago, he
now refuses to
even go near the potty. I've tried everything short of forcing him.

I know there's been lots of discussion, but I just need to know if
this is normal,
if I'm on the right track, and if there may be something I could do to
entice him
into participating more/taking more interest.

I must admit that today I did lose my patience a bit which caused a
minor tearshed
(nothing serious - I just got impatient, is all).

Thanks for your thoughts, ~ SB
Old August 26th 03, 05:34 AM
Waterloo

"Sonnie B." wrote in message
om...
[...]

my biggest error in toilet training ds iwas thinking that it would happen
quickly. it has taken 6 months i reckon. it has been gradual, but we are
now at minimal accidents, but still in nappies overnight. but he knows what
is going on now. he is 3 years 3 months btw.

my vote is bribe bribe bribe! i had a special book just for looking at when
on the toilet, and for the first time he did poo on the toilet he got a toy
of his choice. then thereafter for about 3 weeks or so i gave him a lolly
after each time he went to the toilet.

i am with the other posters, back off a bit. dont think of it as stopping
all together, maybe it is just 2 steps forward 1 step back. he will get
there!

christine

Old August 26th 03, 03:27 PM
Sonnie B.

"Waterloo" wrote in message ...
"Sonnie B." wrote in message
om...
[...]

this is all great feedback. I think I may have started out a little
too gung-ho and might
have put some pressure on, though I don't feel it's been too much.

I've been having him try once a day, typically when I sit to do my
business.
He usually does #1, but #2 just isn't happening.

I will follow your advice and definitely back off for a while. I will
continue to make
the option known and keep the concept in the air for him to identify
with (books, videos,
seeing me do it, etc).

The bribe idea just doesn't get me anywhere. I've tried with special
books, kid magazines,
candy, his-choice-of-toy, and even a special visit to his beloved
grandmother's house. Nada.

Thanks again and I'll post more if there's any progress. ~ SB
Old August 26th 03, 03:48 PM
Nikki

Sonnie B. wrote:

and even a special visit to his beloved
grandmother's house. Nada.

You might consider having Nada doing a potty training weekend. If she
agrees. It seems those beloved grandmothers get lots more cooperation
sometimes and there is generally no pressure/anxiety etc. from grandma. She
doesn't really care if goes home not trained ;-).
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old August 26th 03, 09:11 PM
toypup

"Nikki" wrote in message news:3f4a21c2_4@newsfeed...
Sonnie B. wrote:

and even a special visit to his beloved
grandmother's house. Nada.

You might consider having Nada doing a potty training weekend.

LOL! "Nada" means "no".

Old August 27th 03, 02:48 AM
Nikki

toypup wrote:
"Nikki" wrote in message
Sonnie B. wrote:

and even a special visit to his beloved
grandmother's house. Nada.

You might consider having Nada doing a potty training weekend.

LOL! "Nada" means "no".

Oh jeez, I'm such a dork. I was thinking it was a word for grandma ;-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old August 27th 03, 04:49 AM
R. Steve Walz

Sonnie B. wrote:

My DS (2 1/2) have been watching the videos, discussing it, reading
together about it
and working toward using the potty.

-----------
He's too young, try again at 3 if you have ANY problems.

After a few weeks of failed efforts,

------------
WEEKS!?? ****, you ass, that's ABUSIVE!

he finally - and willfully - sat
on and successfully
used the potty with "full" results.

Afterwards, he got a special treat of his favorite candy

Here's the punchline: since that single success over a week ago, he
now refuses to
even go near the potty. I've tried everything short of forcing him.

-------------------------
You've traumatized him with your pressure, lay the **** off, you're
screwing up his potty training, which is just about the most vicious
thing you can do to a child short of beating him!

If you force him, you will REALLY **** HIM UP BAD!!

I know there's been lots of discussion, but I just need to know if
this is normal,
if I'm on the right track, and if there may be something I could do to
entice him
into participating more/taking more interest.

-------------------
NO! His nervous system isn't developed enough to manage the control.

I must admit that today I did lose my patience a bit which caused a
minor tearshed
(nothing serious - I just got impatient, is all).

Thanks for your thoughts, ~ SB

--------------------
Our impression of you is that you're an idiot.

Leave your child the **** alone till you take parenting classes.
Steve
Old August 27th 03, 04:53 AM
R. Steve Walz

Waterloo wrote:

my biggest error in toilet training ds iwas thinking that it would happen
quickly. it has taken 6 months i reckon. it has been gradual, but we are
now at minimal accidents, but still in nappies overnight. but he knows what
is going on now. he is 3 years 3 months btw.

---------------
What you don't understand, is that if you had started last week,
you'd have the same results you have NOW!!! The reason it took
till 3 y 3 m is that THAT'S HOW LONG IT TOOK FOR HIS NERVOUS
SYSTEM TO DEVELOP THE ABILITY!!!

Abusive Moron. All your bribing and withholding did was torture
him and make him think you hate him!
Steve
Old August 27th 03, 03:09 PM
toto

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 03:49:41 GMT, "R. Steve Walz"
wrote:

Our impression of you is that you're an idiot.

LOL. You and who else, Steve.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits

Potty trained! Kari General 13 August 21st 03 05:05 AM
potty training lynn General 8 August 6th 03 10:37 PM
Frustrated - Potty training Infocus General 8 July 16th 03 05:04 PM