Name advice for boy

Old March 6th 05, 11:12 AM

Default Name advice for boy

Howdy Looking for naming advice for a boy. The happy couple was considering distinctive names that are still recognizable. They got their short list down to "Sebastian" and "Sylvester". I notice Sylvester is overall more common but has declined in popularity in recent years.

Please offer any advice as to which name you would choose. Thanks!

Old March 6th 05, 11:19 AM
Kazh

Of the 2 I'd personally go for Sebastian but it all comes down to =
perosnal choice and how it fits with your surname and / or middle names =
you may have choosen.

Meanings of names -=20

Sylvester -=20

This boy's name is used in German and English. Its source is a Latin =
expression meaning "Wooded."=20
Nicknames of the name Sylvester include: Sly, Syl. Alternate spellings =
of the name Sylvester include: Silvester. There are three other forms of =
Sylvester. There are also teasing nicknames (see Drawbacks).=20
The name did not rank among the top 1000 names in popularity for males =
of all ages in a sample of 2000-2003 Social Security Administration =
statistics but did rank 396th in popularity for males of all ages in a =
sample of the 1990 US Census.=20

Sebastian -=20

This boy's name is used in English, Norwegian, Swedish and Danish. Its =
source is Sebastos, a Greek name meaning "Revered." Learn more about the =
heritage of this name.=20
Nicknames of the name Sebastian include: Seb, Bas. Alternate spellings =
of the name Sebastian include: Sabastian. There are eight other forms of =
Sebastian. There are also teasing nicknames (see Drawbacks).=20
The name Sebastian ranked 80th in popularity for males of all ages in a =
sample of 2000-2003 Social Security Administration statistics and 677th =
in popularity for males of all ages in a sample of the 1990 US Census.=20

Old March 6th 05, 11:48 PM
Melania

Howdy Looking for naming advice for a boy. The happy couple was

considering distinctive names that are still recognizable. They got
their short list down to "Sebastian" and "Sylvester". I notice
Sylvester is overall more common but has declined in popularity in
recent years.

Please offer any advice as to which name you would choose. Thanks!

Neither - Sebastian is a cartoon crab, and Sylvester is a cartoon

cat.
The poor kid's going to either be spoken to in a Carribbean accent
("Under the sea...") or with a lisp ("I tawt I taw a puddy tat!"). I
know that kids will find something to tease anyone about, but it's
better to not make it quite so easy.

I agree, Amy, but of the two I would take Sebastian over Sylvester.
They're both really nice names when taken at face value, but all I can
think of with Sylvester is the cartoon cat, or Stallone.

I would recommend Spencer or Stephan if they like English names that
start with S.

Amy

I know waaaay too many Spencers. Stephan, or any other spelling
thereof, is nice. Sawyer is not my style at all, but is recognizable,
kind of hip-sounding, and not that common AFAIK. Seamus is lovely but
awfully Celtic if that's not up their alley. Sean and its permutations
are nice - what about Shaw? Literary sounding, recognizable, not
commonly used. If they're looking for something long and distiguished,
Sheridan is quite stately (Celtic, and it means 'wild'). I knew a
wonderful guy named Silas. Actually, I've known two Silases and they
were both great guys.

There are loads of great S names for boys that fit the criteria. But if
it must be Sebastian or Sylvester, I would go with the former. Or,
there's always the French version of Sylvester: Sylvain. It might sound
goofy if pronounced with a non-French accent, though.

Melania (who would NEVER ask naming advice from anyone, for fear of
being ridiculed or offended)
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003) named after his great-grandfather
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005) who has a name but we're not sharing it yet!