Iron supplement for toddler

Old January 4th 06, 02:38 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Iron supplement for toddler

My 32 mo DD is borderline anaemic according to the blood test. Her ped
wants her to take polyvisol drops. She takes gummy bear vitamins once a
day. I don't mind giving her polyvisol. Knowing her, she will throw a
fit to take them. I was wondering if there's an alternative to
polyvisol. Since we are only concerned about her iron, could someone
please suggest an alternative? fwiw we follow vegetarian diet (with
dairy)

Thanks.

Old January 4th 06, 03:30 PM posted to misc.kids

On 4 Jan 2006 06:38:35 -0800, "
wrote:

My 32 mo DD is borderline anaemic according to the blood test. Her ped
wants her to take polyvisol drops. She takes gummy bear vitamins once a
day. I don't mind giving her polyvisol. Knowing her, she will throw a
fit to take them. I was wondering if there's an alternative to
polyvisol. Since we are only concerned about her iron, could someone
please suggest an alternative? fwiw we follow vegetarian diet (with
dairy)

Polyvisol can be put in a drink, you know. The problem with the
vitamins with iron that look like candy is that kids want to take to
much and they can lead to iron poisoning.

There is a Flintstones vitamin called Flintstones complete that has
iron in it.

Thanks.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old January 4th 06, 03:38 PM posted to misc.kids

On 4 Jan 2006 06:38:35 -0800, "
wrote:

My 32 mo DD is borderline anaemic according to the blood test. Her ped
wants her to take polyvisol drops. She takes gummy bear vitamins once a
day. I don't mind giving her polyvisol. Knowing her, she will throw a
fit to take them. I was wondering if there's an alternative to
polyvisol. Since we are only concerned about her iron, could someone
please suggest an alternative? fwiw we follow vegetarian diet (with
dairy)

Thanks.

Raisins are a decent source of iron. My 22 month old loves the
little boxes of "candy" ;-)

Nan

Old January 4th 06, 03:43 PM posted to misc.kids

toto wrote:
On 4 Jan 2006 06:38:35 -0800, "
wrote:

My 32 mo DD is borderline anaemic according to the blood test. Her ped
wants her to take polyvisol drops. She takes gummy bear vitamins once a
day. I don't mind giving her polyvisol. Knowing her, she will throw a
fit to take them. I was wondering if there's an alternative to
polyvisol. Since we are only concerned about her iron, could someone
please suggest an alternative? fwiw we follow vegetarian diet (with
dairy)

Polyvisol can be put in a drink, you know. The problem with the
vitamins with iron that look like candy is that kids want to take to
much and they can lead to iron poisoning.

There is a Flintstones vitamin called Flintstones complete that has
iron in it.

Thanks.

--
Dorothy

Thanks, OP here. She's a very sensitive/picky eater to begin with. If
I give it in a drink, she'll stop drinking whatever it is I gave her

I'll check Flintstones. I remember that I'll have to break a tablet
into two since she's not yet 4 years old. The Flintstones are for 4 and
above.

If there's an iron supplement that's really like a candy, please let me
know. I can control howmuch she takes. So it's really the taste I'm
after

Thanks.

Old January 4th 06, 04:13 PM posted to misc.kids

wrote:
My 32 mo DD is borderline anaemic according to the blood test. Her ped
wants her to take polyvisol drops. She takes gummy bear vitamins once a
day. I don't mind giving her polyvisol. Knowing her, she will throw a
fit to take them. I was wondering if there's an alternative to
polyvisol. Since we are only concerned about her iron, could someone
please suggest an alternative? fwiw we follow vegetarian diet (with
dairy)

Thanks.

We use Nature's Plus Animal Parade multi vit and mineral. They're
chewable and come in 3 or 4 flavors bottled individually or in a mixed
flavors bottle. They are vegetarian (as are we) and hypo-allergenic, and
made from whole food concentrates. They are about $11-12 for a bottle of
90. (They also make a separate calcium, which we also use.) I started
ds1 on them around age 2.The dose for a 4+ year old is two chewables, so
for age 2-4 I gave 1 chewable. The bottle lists the RDA values for both
age 2 and age 4; the serving size is indicated to be 2 chewables, which
puts the values for age 2 very high, so giving one chewable brings the
values into a more reasonable range. So the iron value for age 2 with
one chewable would be 2.5mg, or 25% RDA. I figure that's a good
baseline, and then the rest in our case still comes from breastmilk and
diet.

I would recommend getting a couple of cast iron pans and cooking some of
your child's food in those each day. I have one in which I can put a
steamer basket and steam veggies in it, warm soups in it, and a skillet
in which I cook scrambled eggs, stir fry, etc. (Not sure if you eat
eggs, but you get the idea.)

Don't forget to push the dark green leafies, beans, whole grains. Really
try to keep your veggie diet varied and the child should be fine.

I'd be careful with the dried fruits. Although higher in iron, they can
be dangerous for teeth. I thought I was doing my kid a favor, exposing
him to all variety of fruits through these organic fruit leathers. He
used to eat one every day, until he had to have three fillings and an
abcessed tooth had to be pulled. If you do give things like raisins, be
sure to floss (my downfall at the time) and brush and generally try to
get the teeth rinsed with water right after eating them.

-Karen, veggie mom to two veggie kids Henry 5.5 and William 1.5-
Old January 5th 06, 04:20 AM posted to misc.kids

In article .com,
" wrote:

My 32 mo DD is borderline anaemic according to the blood test. Her ped
wants her to take polyvisol drops. She takes gummy bear vitamins once a
day. I don't mind giving her polyvisol. Knowing her, she will throw a
fit to take them. I was wondering if there's an alternative to
polyvisol. Since we are only concerned about her iron, could someone
please suggest an alternative? fwiw we follow vegetarian diet (with
dairy)

Thanks.

If you aren't already doing it, get some decent cast iron (uncoated cast
iron) cookware, and cook in it regularly. It may not be enough to
eliminate the need for iron supplements, but it goes a very long way.
(I had one brother who was mildy anemic as a toddler, and for him it WAS
enough -- Mom just made sure to cook at least one meal a day in cast
iron.)

Old January 5th 06, 05:19 AM posted to misc.kids

wrote in message
ps.com...
If there's an iron supplement that's really like a candy, please let me
know. I can control howmuch she takes. So it's really the taste I'm
after

I usually grind DS's meds and mix them with melted chocolate in a candy mold
and let it set in the fridge. I think it makes some of the chocolate taste
awful, but he doesn't mind, and he's extremely picky. Can you find out how
much iron she needs and if you could get it in tablet form and perhaps break
it into the appropriate size piece, grind it up and and put it in chocolate?
Check with the pharmacist. You can't do it with all meds.

Personally, I only made his meds in small batches so that he would not
overdose should he get his hands on them. You could get those childproof
containers from the pharmacy. They come quite large, if you are planning to
make larger size molds. I just make mine small enough to hide the meds, so
DS will eat the entire piece.