Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue

Old December 16th 03, 10:59 PM
Marciosos6 Probertiosos6

Default Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue

(Please repost for jan to read. She MUST know this!)

Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue
Mon Dec 15, 7:00 PM ET

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...cancer_fatigue

The drug methylphenidate -- more commonly known as Ritalin (news - web
sites), Concerta, Metadate, or Methylin -- can help cancer patients fight
off fatigue, according to researchers from M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in
Houston. The best effect comes from taking small doses throughout the day,
they report in the Journal of Clinical Oncology (Vol. 21, No. 23:
4439-4443).

Most patients with advanced cancer will experience fatigue, a symptom that
can destroy quality of life. Although the fatigue sometimes stems from
anemia and improves with increases in blood counts, most often there is no
specific cause and no ready treatment.

Methylphenidate is typically prescribed for ADHD, or attention
deficit/hyperactivity disorder, but it has been used, with some success, to
treat cancer fatigue. In this study, the researchers wanted to better
document this success by measuring symptom improvement through the use of
specially designed questionnaires.

Patients Felt Better Physically and Emotionally

The researchers enrolled 30 patients with advanced cancer and fatigue; the
participants were given a one-week supply of 5-mg methylphenidate tablets
and told to take them as needed for fatigue. After 7 days they had the
option of stopping the medication or continuing for 3 more weeks. All the
patients reported that the drug helped and all chose to continue taking it.

The researchers also found other evidence that the drug was helping. At the
beginning of the study, the patients rated their fatigue on a 0-10 scale,
with 10 being the worst. The average was 7.2. After 28 days of
methylphenidate, their fatigue level had dropped to 4.4.

The patients also reported less depression and greater physical and
emotional well-being. When the researchers measured patient fatigue during
the day, they noted a drop from morning to evening as the effects of that
day's treatment took hold.

Side Effects Minor

Side effects weren't a big problem. Two patients reported restlessness. Two
others reported a loss of appetite, although most actually found their
appetites improved.

The authors acknowledge that bigger studies are needed to understand why
methylphenidate works, how long it remains effective, and how long it can
safely be taken. But they were encouraged by the clear-cut benefit of the
drug in improving both the fatigue and the quality of life of these
patients.

Old December 17th 03, 05:52 AM
JG

"Marciosos6 Probertiosos6" wrote in
message .net...
(Please repost for jan to read. She MUST know this!)

Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue
Mon Dec 15, 7:00 PM ET

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...cancer_fatigue

....Imagine that, a stimulant helping beat fatigue! What'll they think
of next?!? g When are they gonna test meth, or crack?

Old December 17th 03, 11:05 AM
Marciosos6 Probertiosos6

"JG" wrote in message
t...
"Marciosos6 Probertiosos6" wrote in
message .net...
(Please repost for jan to read. She MUST know this!)

Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue
Mon Dec 15, 7:00 PM ET

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...cancer_fatigue

...Imagine that, a stimulant helping beat fatigue! What'll they think
of next?!? g When are they gonna test meth, or crack?

They are addictive at just about any doseage, so MPH is far preferable,
since it is not addictive at the doseages that werre administered.

Old December 17th 03, 05:18 PM
Roger Schlafly

The article didn't say that. Instead, it said:

After 7 days they had the option of stopping the medication or
continuing for 3 more weeks. All the patients reported that the
drug helped and all chose to continue taking it.

It sounds like they were all addicted.

Old December 17th 03, 08:50 PM
David Wright

In article ,
Roger Schlafly wrote:
"Marciosos6 Probertiosos6" wrote
...Imagine that, a stimulant helping beat fatigue! What'll they think
of next?!? g When are they gonna test meth, or crack?

They are addictive at just about any doseage, so MPH is far preferable,
since it is not addictive at the doseages that werre administered.

The article didn't say that. Instead, it said:

After 7 days they had the option of stopping the medication or
continuing for 3 more weeks. All the patients reported that the
drug helped and all chose to continue taking it.

It sounds like they were all addicted.

Only in Schlafly-land. To me, it sounds like the meds were working
and they decided to stick with 'em. No doubt, had you been part of
the study, you would have said "gee, these are working but I'm
afraid that's addiction" and taken a pass.

Sure you would.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

Old December 17th 03, 11:37 PM
Roger Schlafly

"David Wright" wrote
After 7 days they had the option of stopping the medication or
continuing for 3 more weeks. All the patients reported that the
drug helped and all chose to continue taking it.
It sounds like they were all addicted.

Only in Schlafly-land. To me, it sounds like the meds were working
and they decided to stick with 'em. No doubt, had you been part of
the study, you would have said "gee, these are working but I'm
afraid that's addiction" and taken a pass.

It is common for addicts to deny that they are addicted. Note that
every single one wanted to stay on ritalin.

Old December 18th 03, 12:13 AM
Marciosos6 Probertiosos6

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...
"Marciosos6 Probertiosos6" wrote
...Imagine that, a stimulant helping beat fatigue! What'll they think
of next?!? g When are they gonna test meth, or crack?

They are addictive at just about any doseage, so MPH is far preferable,
since it is not addictive at the doseages that werre administered.

The article didn't say that. Instead, it said:

After 7 days they had the option of stopping the medication or
continuing for 3 more weeks. All the patients reported that the
drug helped and all chose to continue taking it.

It sounds like they were all addicted.

Can you read? They *chose* to continue. The doseages were not addictive, and
the med was taken orally. So far, no one has ever shown that oral MPH is
addictive.

Old December 18th 03, 12:15 AM
Marciosos6 Probertiosos6

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...
"David Wright" wrote
After 7 days they had the option of stopping the medication or
continuing for 3 more weeks. All the patients reported that the
drug helped and all chose to continue taking it.
It sounds like they were all addicted.

Only in Schlafly-land. To me, it sounds like the meds were working
and they decided to stick with 'em. No doubt, had you been part of
the study, you would have said "gee, these are working but I'm
afraid that's addiction" and taken a pass.

It is common for addicts to deny that they are addicted. Note that
every single one wanted to stay on ritalin.

Twit. They were not denying anything.

There i sno mention of them being asked if they were addicted.

What they were enjoying was the ability to function all over again.

When it hits your home, you wil understand it.

Old December 18th 03, 05:08 AM
David Wright

In article ,
Roger Schlafly wrote:
"David Wright" wrote
After 7 days they had the option of stopping the medication or
continuing for 3 more weeks. All the patients reported that the
drug helped and all chose to continue taking it.
It sounds like they were all addicted.

Only in Schlafly-land. To me, it sounds like the meds were working
and they decided to stick with 'em. No doubt, had you been part of
the study, you would have said "gee, these are working but I'm
afraid that's addiction" and taken a pass.

It is common for addicts to deny that they are addicted. Note that
every single one wanted to stay on ritalin.

You're badk to your usual habit of deciding that your interpretation
of circumstances is the only correct one. It's a bad habit.

As Mark pointed out, they were not on addictive doses and were all
taking the stuff orally, not crushing and snorting it.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

Old December 18th 03, 06:18 AM
PF Riley

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 04:52:32 GMT, "JG" wrote:

...Imagine that, a stimulant helping beat fatigue! What'll they think
of next?!? g When are they gonna test meth, or crack?

Maybe... and I'd bet it would prove "useful" in this case. We seem to
give quite a bit of leniency towards cancer patients when it comes to
giving them drugs.

I can imagine myself, God forbid, undergoing cancer treatment...
smoking pot for the pain and anorexia and crank for the fatigue.
Wahooo!!!!!

PF