baby back to sleep/a break through!

Old January 1st 04, 01:37 PM
All4meUC

Default baby back to sleep/a break through!

Happy New Year! I just wanted to post about my experience yesterday for those
of you who might be going through the same thing.
My son (4 1/2 months) has been having trouble waking during his naps and at
night time. The trouble is that after about an hour of daytime napping he wakes
and is unable to settle back to sleep w/o nursing. I have been reading The No
Cry Sleep Solution and using her suggestions. Yesterday during his nap he woke
up exactly one hour after being put down, began to fuss a little, I rushed in
the room and sat on the bed next to him (his eyes were still closed) patted his
back, and said shhh shhh, he settled back to sleep within a minute or two and
slept for another hour and a half. I was so thrilled! This is the first time it
has ever worked.
Another great surprise, last night he DIDN'T wake up an hour after bedtime, he
slept from 7:30 until 12 AM with NO waking! At 12 we nursed back to sleep, he
slept straight through again until 4 AM, when we nursed back to sleep until
7AM.
So...I strongly recommend Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution if you are
having trouble with night or nap time wakings.
~Tracy
Old January 1st 04, 02:21 PM
Mike

Default baby back to sleep/a break through! ( HELP )

Hello from australia

We have an 11 month old that WILL NOT go down unless he is nursed! He also
only sleeps for a maximum of 90 mins at any one time - he wakes about 6
times a night between 12 - 7am. Our relation ship is not going to good as a
result of this stress I have tried so hard to try and help but he is so
addicted to being nursed itsnot funny. HELP HELP !

In one month were heading offf to a sleep clinic in Syndey and were hoping
that will help. Stay tunned

Mike

Old January 1st 04, 07:36 PM
K.B.

I was able to do this with my other kids but this one won't have it. He
won't settle for anything less than nursing back to sleep.
Kris

Old January 1st 04, 08:11 PM
Rosie

Hi Mike,

This sounds quite within the normal pattern for an 11 month old. Mine DD
was the same at that age (now 15 months and often still has this pattern,
but sometimes will sleep for 4 hours in a row). She sleeps better if she
has had a LONG (1.5-3 hour) daytime nap. I think that is probably the
effect that the original poster is seeing.

What exactly are you expecting from the sleep clinic? (just curious) Have
you considered that maybe your little munchkin is quite normal in his sleep
behaviour?

ROSIE

Old January 2nd 04, 08:22 AM
Kereru

"Rosie" wrote in message
Hi Mike,

This sounds quite within the normal pattern for an 11 month old. Mine DD
was the same at that age (now 15 months and often still has this pattern,
but sometimes will sleep for 4 hours in a row). She sleeps better if she
has had a LONG (1.5-3 hour) daytime nap. I think that is probably the
effect that the original poster is seeing.

I agree about a good daytime nap helping but I DO NOT agree that 90min
sleeps and 6 wake ups between 12-7am is normal at that age! I certainly
wouldn't be happy with a sleep pattern like that. Just because it happens to
more than one child doesn't it's normal. Or more to the point, it doesn't
mean that it's something to be "put up with". I hope the sleep clinic has
some good advice because bad sleep for babies and therefore their parents
can be incredibly stressful.

I think it's totally reasonable for you to seek a solution to your sons
sleep problem.

Judy

Old January 2nd 04, 10:32 AM
Rosie

Kereru wrote:
I agree about a good daytime nap helping but I DO NOT agree that 90min
sleeps and 6 wake ups between 12-7am is normal at that age!

I didn't say it was 'normal' - I said it was within the normal pattern for
an 11 month old. There is a massive variation of 'normal'. But I don't
think it's at all unusual, especially for breastfed babies whose mothers
don't want them to cry it out. From my group of friends this is a fairly
common pattern - there are at least three of us who are still waking, many
nights, every 90 minutes or even more, with babies much older than 11
months. I don't have that many friends, but I'm sure we're not a freaky
sample. : )

Just my experience and from the many posts here about it, it doesn't seem
uncommon.

ROSIE

Old January 2nd 04, 12:06 PM
Kereru

"Rosie" wrote in message
Kereru wrote:
I agree about a good daytime nap helping but I DO NOT agree that 90min
sleeps and 6 wake ups between 12-7am is normal at that age!

I didn't say it was 'normal' - I said it was within the normal pattern for
an 11 month old. There is a massive variation of 'normal'. But I don't
think it's at all unusual, especially for breastfed babies whose mothers
don't want them to cry it out. From my group of friends this is a fairly
common pattern - there are at least three of us who are still waking, many
nights, every 90 minutes or even more, with babies much older than 11
months. I don't have that many friends, but I'm sure we're not a freaky
sample. : )

Just my experience and from the many posts here about it, it doesn't seem
uncommon.

You are right this is pretty common on these groups, and hey and what's
"normal" anyway :-) My philosophy is pretty much that if the whole family
are happy then theres no problem. So if you are waking this often and it's
not a problem then it's not a problem! But to be honest it would drive me
crazy, I just couldn't function like that. The OP obviously has a problem
with it too so I wanted her to know that not eveyone thinks that it's a "go
with it and it will pass" situation. Personally I would be desperate to get
the baby sleeping better and would be getting all the advice I could to
help.

Judy

ROSIE