Not walking yet

Old December 8th 03, 07:43 AM
anon

Default Not walking yet

Hello,
I have another question.

Our baby is 14 months old and is not walking yet. She was born 7 weeks
early.

She is cruising, but has been for about 2 - 3 months, she crawls very
well and seems to have very coordinated movement and muscle tone.

Should we be worried that she is not walking yet?

Thanks

Old December 8th 03, 12:48 PM
Jeff

"anon" wrote in message
Hello,
I have another question.

Our baby is 14 months old and is not walking yet. She was born 7 weeks
early.

She is cruising, but has been for about 2 - 3 months, she crawls very
well and seems to have very coordinated movement and muscle tone.

Should we be worried that she is not walking yet?

Many babies start walking (usually along walls or furnature first) when they
are around 12 months (so adjusting for her early delivery, about now). Some
walk later.I think the child is due for her 15 month checkup soon. I would
talk with the doctor then or give the doctor a call now.

Jeff

Thanks

Old December 8th 03, 12:57 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

anon wrote:

Hello,
I have another question.

Our baby is 14 months old and is not walking yet. She was born 7 weeks
early.

She is cruising, but has been for about 2 - 3 months, she crawls very
well and seems to have very coordinated movement and muscle tone.

Should we be worried that she is not walking yet?

No. If "cruising" means walking while holding on to furniture,
she'll eventually let go. Some babies cruise for a few hours,
others for several months.

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like
politicians invoking morality and children - grab your wallet and/or
Old December 9th 03, 02:06 AM
CBI

"Tsu Dho Nimh" wrote in message
anon wrote:

Hello,
I have another question.

Our baby is 14 months old and is not walking yet. She was born 7 weeks
early.

She is cruising, but has been for about 2 - 3 months, she crawls very
well and seems to have very coordinated movement and muscle tone.

Should we be worried that she is not walking yet?

No. If "cruising" means walking while holding on to furniture,
she'll eventually let go. Some babies cruise for a few hours,
others for several months.

My first started cruising at about 9-10 months and were sure she would be an
early walker. She didn't actually let go until about 13-14 months.

--
CBI, MD

Old December 9th 03, 06:41 AM
PF Riley

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 05:57:16 -0700, Tsu Dho Nimh
wrote:

anon wrote:

Hello,
I have another question.

Our baby is 14 months old and is not walking yet. She was born 7 weeks
early.

She is cruising, but has been for about 2 - 3 months, she crawls very
well and seems to have very coordinated movement and muscle tone.

Should we be worried that she is not walking yet?

No. If "cruising" means walking while holding on to furniture,
she'll eventually let go. Some babies cruise for a few hours,
others for several months.

Agreed. It sounds like the baby's right on target. Those dumb
developmental tables that frighten parents with "milestones" marking
when infants "should" be doing things oughtta be banned. I consider
the range of normal for walking to be anywhere from 9 months to 18
months. But who would want a table to say "Walking independently -- 18
months"?

Think of the developmental milestone tables as guidelines, not
deadlines.

PF
Old December 9th 03, 11:27 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"CBI" wrote:

"Tsu Dho Nimh" wrote in message
.. .
anon wrote:

Hello,
I have another question.

Our baby is 14 months old and is not walking yet. She was born 7 weeks
early.

She is cruising, but has been for about 2 - 3 months, she crawls very
well and seems to have very coordinated movement and muscle tone.

No. If "cruising" means walking while holding on to furniture,
she'll eventually let go. Some babies cruise for a few hours,
others for several months.

My first started cruising at about 9-10 months and were sure she would be an
early walker. She didn't actually let go until about 13-14 months.

Judging from the evidence (teethmarks in the wax fruit on the
previously safe coffee table and other items strewn around the
floor) one of my nieces learned "cruising" early one morning and
came toddling out of the living room chewing on a wax banana a
few minutes later.

Her brother clung to furniture for months ... although he would
walk OK if you gave him something to grab, like a Nerf bat.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Old December 9th 03, 11:58 AM
Lejla/Lyla

"anon" wrote in message
Hello,
I have another question.

Our baby is 14 months old and is not walking yet. She was born 7 weeks
early.

She is cruising, but has been for about 2 - 3 months, she crawls very
well and seems to have very coordinated movement and muscle tone.

Should we be worried that she is not walking yet?

Thanks

Hi, I don't think you should be worried.

My DD age three now started walking when 17 months old, there are a few
similar examples in the day-care. We consulted with our doctor who
maintained, as most other posters already said here, that children are
expected to walk by 18 months.

Good luck and keep your cameras ready for those first independent steps!

--
Lejla/Lyla
DD 02 Nov 2000