foul-tasting vitamin drops

Old October 29th 03, 04:36 AM
Irrational Number

Default foul-tasting vitamin drops

Pillbug's pediatrician started him on the
combination vitamin/iron/fluoride drops,
which taste really foul (actually, I don't
mind, but Pillbug hates it).

The first couple of times, he was stunned
and I blew on his face (learned from this
NG) to make him swallow. This morning, though,
he remembered enough to hate the sight of the
bottle and even cried a little when I put the
dropper in... I'm feeling a bit traumatized
by this... Enough that if he hates it, I may
start him on rice cereal to get some iron in
him.

(I've read conflicting reports about iron in
bf-babies after 4 months... Do babies need
supplements?)

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old October 29th 03, 06:57 AM
azure

"Irrational Number" wrote in message

(I've read conflicting reports about iron in
bf-babies after 4 months... Do babies need
supplements?)

-- Anita --
--

short answer - NO : )

longer one - http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/iron.html

Cheers,

Leah

---

Old October 29th 03, 10:57 AM
Sue

Most breastfed babies don't need supplementing at this point. If he has low
iron, the only sure way to know is to do a heel stick for blood to find out.
If he doesn't show anemia, then it isn't necessary to give him the
supplements.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 29th 03, 11:19 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Irrational Number wrote:

Pillbug's pediatrician started him on the
combination vitamin/iron/fluoride drops,
which taste really foul (actually, I don't
mind, but Pillbug hates it).

If your water supply is fluoridated, you shouldn't be giving extra fluoride.
I suppose you know that, but I'll put it in for the record.

(I've read conflicting reports about iron in
bf-babies after 4 months... Do babies need
supplements?)

No. At least, not according to the WHO, the American Academy of Pediatrics
and the (Australian) National Health & Medical Research Council. All say that
bfing exclusively to 6mo is about right. My own feeling is that if Pillbug is
in a high-risk group for iron deficiency, you should have his iron levels
tested. If there is no clinical basis for supplementation, he shouldn't be
getting it.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old October 29th 03, 03:56 PM
Nikki

Irrational Number wrote:
Pillbug's pediatrician started him on the
combination vitamin/iron/fluoride drops,
which taste really foul (actually, I don't
mind, but Pillbug hates it).

My ped never mentioned the drops so it must vary from one doc to another.

Do babies need
supplements?)

I did not supplement mine. Hunter was not eating solids at 6 months so I
had his iron level checked at 9 months and 12 months. Luke was eating
solids on schedule (started at 6 months and increased amount and variety as
expected) so I never tested him. They did check it at 12 months as they
drew blood for a lead level anyway. All iron tests for both babies were
fine.

I don't think they need the floride if you have city water. If you have
well water you can get it tested. Also, some bottled water advertises
flouride, others don't have any. Even if you consume no flouridated water I
think I'd rub a tiny amount of kid toothpaste (tastes like bubblegum) on her
teeth/tooth (does she have any?) and forgo the battle of the drops. That is
just me talking, I have no clue if it is actually a good idea...you may want
to check with someone.
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old October 29th 03, 04:25 PM
Circe

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
Irrational Number wrote:
Pillbug's pediatrician started him on the
combination vitamin/iron/fluoride drops,
which taste really foul (actually, I don't
mind, but Pillbug hates it).

If your water supply is fluoridated, you shouldn't be giving extra

fluoride.
I suppose you know that, but I'll put it in for the record.

And to my knowledge, fluoride supplementation isn't recommended by the AAP
until after 6 months of age. In Canada, last I checked, fluoride supps
aren't recommended for children under 3yo.

(I've read conflicting reports about iron in
bf-babies after 4 months... Do babies need
supplements?)

No. At least, not according to the WHO, the American Academy of

Pediatrics
and the (Australian) National Health & Medical Research Council. All say

that
bfing exclusively to 6mo is about right. My own feeling is that if

Pillbug is
in a high-risk group for iron deficiency, you should have his iron levels
tested. If there is no clinical basis for supplementation, he shouldn't

be
getting it.

Absolutely agreed.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [19mo] mom)

"Use repeatedly for severe damage." -- Directions on shampoo bottle

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old October 30th 03, 06:11 PM
Beth

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
(I've read conflicting reports about iron in
bf-babies after 4 months... Do babies need
supplements?)

Those drops really are foul!

I was worried about iron, too, since my son is exclusively breastfed. On
the one hand, iron fortification messes up a baby's natural ability to use
the iron in human milk. Feeding iron fortifies food--or any food--seems to
do the same.

On the other, some pedis insist that breast milk is not good enough. At DS'
6-mo WBV, the doc prescribed vitamin drops with fluoride, too, and I never
gave him any, figuring that Mother Nature probably knew best. At nine
months I asked for a hemoglobin test, and his came back at 13-something,
which is fantastic. That was from mother's milk alone.

Beth