Roll Call and Updates :)

Old November 1st 06, 06:45 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

Default Roll Call and Updates :)

wrote in message

As I posted a while back William and I finished nursing a couple of
weeks back.

He had such a nice gentle ending to his nursing.

Always a late starte with moving William has only just started properly
walking, but boy is he off! Climbing has come with that so the stairs
are his favourite mission at the moment. He still eats like a horse
and is much more willing to try new things these days. 'Shoesies' and
'ba - boom' (no idea what that means) are the words of the moment. His
best game is getting me to chuck his crayons acorss the floor so he can
retrieve each one and replace them in the box with a big cheer at the
end. His newest and best toy is a huge Postman Pat Jess cat that is
bigger than him and gets more hugs and kisses and than we do! He is a
super dooper chickpea and I do believe I would like another but
convincing dp is not looking promising at present. He loves ds to bits
but it's all been quite a shock to a man not used to change in his
life. Still, I'm patient - I waited 3 years for ds.

He sounds wonderful. I can see why you'd want another one :-) Hopefully dh
will come around soon!

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old November 1st 06, 06:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

wrote in message

We are doing fine. I'm still nursing pum'kin (2y 2mo). She's quite
bossy and doesn't take no for an answer. I told just about everyone
else that I weaned her because I have no patience to deal with the
comments.

Good for you guys! I totally understand about telling people the easy
answer. I did it with my other kids -- both with sleeping and weaning (with
Luke).

My 3.5 year old is everything I can ask for in a child. She's
my miracle baby.

Awww :-)

As for me, I've re-started running. signed up for couple of half
marathons.

Wow, that is impressive!!

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old November 1st 06, 02:37 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

Chookie wrote:
DS1 is 5.5 yo and in Kindergarten (that's the first year of formal schooling
here). He still occasionally BFs last thing at night, but I mostly try to get
out of it. At present I am in the throes of arranging for some curriculum

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but it is nice to see others here
who nurse a long time. My oldest nursed until she was 5. I'm nursing
a 5 yo boy too (actually as I type). I'd hoped to have him weaned by
5, but he just wasn't ready. Until recently every time I tried to cut
him down a bit, he chewed up all his clothes and toys. Now I have him
down to twice a day.

I'm also nursing my almost 2 yo girl and we are expecting another at
the end of May. Several days ago she seemed to nurse all day and my
milk supply which had dwindled with the pregnancy went up. Now I am
really nervous, since the only time my milk supply has gone up in
pregnancy was a couple weeks before I miscarried. In that case I
suddenly became engorged and started leaking and that hasn't happened
here.

In a few weeks I will have been nursing for 8 years straight, though
not the same child the whole time.

--Betsy

Old November 1st 06, 10:05 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

"Nikki" wrote in message
Slow board. Lets see how everyone is doing!!

We are doing great. I've been posting since I nursed my first/Hunter.
Hunter is now 7yo and Luke is 5yo. They haven't nursed in years but I

have
the twins now so I'm still around!

Ben and Brock are still nursing - yay! At their 6mo appt. Brock was 20lb
and Ben was 16lbs. IIRC Brock was 28 1/4" and Ben was 27 1/4" so both are
really long. Ben is in constant motion so I know why he is skinny

He'll
be crawling soon. Brock is mellow. I doubt he'll be crawling anytime

soon.
They have such different personality types. It is fun. Brock sleeps
through about 70% of the time but Ben is up 2-3 times a night. yawn

They
are both enjoying their solids. I haven't had to give any bottles when

I'm
not working. I was worried I would have to because they drink more then I
pump and they were getting fussy on the weekends. I think they had a

growth
spurt and so have settled down a bit and they get more solids on the
weekends so that helps keep them content too.

Good to hear from you Nikki, Sounds like you're all doing well. I can't
imagine a growth spurt with twins!

How is everyone else?

Great thanks.
DD is in kindy 2 half days a week and is *loving* it. She's 4 years old
now but I bf her until she self-weaned at about 18+ months (pg with DS at
the time and I pretty much only had colostrum). She's been "writing"
(mostly only gets her name and our names legible) and its been hilarious to
hear her read out her "stories". Yesterday, she drew a "sign" with a red
light and a rainbow on it ... I had to write the caption for the sign: "To
be aware of the rainbow and soforth. Cars must stop at the red light so the
people can cross to see the rainbow". .... I do love how little minds work.

DS is 26 mo and is a delight ... mostly ..as 2 yo boys tend to be. He bf
2-3 times a day ... depending on how "busy" he is. He's TT at the moment
and its been rather interesting - quite good control until he gets tired.
He's *very* excited about "big boy undies" though. He's very chatty so I'm
hearing looong stories about how many weees and pooos he's done and exactly
where he did them ... exciting stuff.

I'm working a day a week which suits me fine atm. Mum looks after DS and DD
while I'm at work - she's fantastic.

We're off on holidays in another week or two and since we're staying close
by, we're going to Australia Zoo with the kids on one of the days. Dunno
how I'll go (as in I hope I don't cry when I get there), but DD and DS will
love it I'm sure.
Amanda
(in Australia)

Old November 1st 06, 10:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sidheag McCormack

Nikki writes:

Slow board. Lets see how everyone is doing!!

Colin has just turned 3. He still breastfeeds two or three times most days,
but usually only for a few seconds at a time; it feels like a token now.
(That's partly because I've encouraged short nursing sessions; he's wriggly
and his latch isn't great, so session that are actually comfortable for me
are too rare.) I'm wondering what's going to happen when he gets his first
real cold of the winter, because it's when he's ill that he usually
breastfeeds a lot. If he doesn't ramp it up then, I'll feel the end is
really nigh.

He's fantastic :-). He can read (recently "realised" that he really can
read whole books), but not pee in the potty (tried potty training him last
week under pressure from nursery; no go). It's all interesting!

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old November 2nd 06, 09:17 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Amethyst Deceiver

Anne Rogers wrote:
He weighs about 13kg and is about 88cm tall, so he's small for his
age, so he's being investigated for coeliac disease which both I and
my mother have. Gastroscopy tomorrow! He eats a good varied diet,
especially at nursery (peer pressure works) and his overall health
is good although he's currently on iron for anaemia - one symptom of
coeliac in children.

He's not toilet-trained yet. Thankfully the nursery he attends is
quite laid back about it and so are we. I think one reason he's not
showing any signs is that he really doesn't know when he's about to
poo, because of his dodgy gut. So a diagnosis and new diet might
help there. If necessary, we'll use our two-week Christmas break to
do big-boy pants and lots of mopping and washing!

Nathanael is similar in size, well, lighter and slightly taller,
which makes him look even skinner, we were concerned about stuff like
celiac disease, but he had no bowel symptoms like YB, we've had the
tests done, but for some reason haven't had the results, so we
presume they are ok and that the promised letter will arrive
sometime! What people kept telling us was that he'll have a growth
spurt sometime between 3 and 4 and it was true, starting late August,
he really picked up on his eating and has definitely put a little
more fat on, but he's still not 13kg, but he lurked around 11kg for
so long, it's a big jump for him. At least you will know what to do
if he does turn out to have celiac disease, but I'm crossing my
fingers that he doesn't.

He was weighed on Tuesday prior to his gastroscopy and he's actually 12kg.
He doesn't look poorly on it, though - his weight's higher up the centile
than his height so people think he's quite sturdy!

They rechecked his Hb level at the same time ("I don't /like/ that doctor!")
and despite being on iron for over a month he's still anaemic. However, he's
less anaemic than he was. I think at the moment that's one of the biggest
signals that he does have coeliac - he has a good diet but he's not
absorbing nutrients properly. I think with my mum and me both being coeliac
the chances are high that he's got it, but at least I have an understanding
of the diet!

--
YoungBloke: 35 months, 88cm, 12kg and still BF

Old November 2nd 06, 09:19 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Amethyst Deceiver

cjra wrote:
Amethyst Deceiver wrote:

He's not toilet-trained yet. Thankfully the nursery he attends is
quite laid back about it and so are we. I think one reason he's not
showing any signs is that he really doesn't know when he's about to
poo, because of his dodgy gut. So a diagnosis and new diet might
help there. If necessary, we'll use our two-week Christmas break to
do big-boy pants and lots of mopping and washing!

FWIW - our 3yr old nephew is also not toilet trained, but I think it's
more due to pure stubbornness on his part than any other physiological
issue. he keeps saying he's still a baby and doesn't want to, although
he hates having a dirty diaper.

Snap! He's beginning to tell us when he's pooed or is wet, but is also
telling me "I don't want to be a big boy. I want to be a baby" so I'm just
letting it go for now.

--
YoungBloke: 35 months, 88cm, 12kg and still BF

Old November 4th 06, 01:23 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
JJ

I don't post all that regularly but I really value the info here. DD
is now 26 months, I weaned her when she was 14 months bc I was pregnant
and had hyperemesis. However, she started ursing again a couple of
weeks ago and is going strong. Funnry, I was a little reluctanct at
first, but have plenty of supply, and she justr seems to enjoy it so
much......why not? So now she gets out of bed at 4 am and comes into
our room, crawls into bed, digs under the covers and gets a snack.
FWIW, I have truly wonderful in laws, MIL commented when I told her DD
was nursing again "how wonderful it is that you can give her that."

DS is now 3 1/2 months and couldn't be happier. He is so unbelievably
easy-tempered, just a fat happy baby who sleeps and giggles a lot.
I'm glad he's my second since I can really appreciate how easy he is.

JJ

Old November 4th 06, 02:44 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Nikki" wrote in message
Slow board. Lets see how everyone is doing!!

We are doing great. I've been posting since I nursed my first/Hunter.
Hunter is now 7yo and Luke is 5yo. They haven't nursed in years but I
have the twins now so I'm still around!

Ben and Brock are still nursing - yay!

snip
How is everyone else?

Well, I finally have one to nurse once again - finally! - and it seems to be
going awesome.
I've been here since just before DD1 was born, and she's 15 months old
tomorrow. I nursed DS for over a year, and he's just about 6. DD1 and I
didn't have such a great experience... I kinda gave up after trying
EVERYTHING when she was about 5ish months (I think??) and started to lose a
fair amount of weight. Went to a bottle and formula, which she took to just
fine, and I'm hoping the same thing doesn't happen with DD2 (10 days old)
She has a fantastic latch, she seems to be eating a lot, and I've been
feeding her on demand - almost every time she squeaks - and I'm also pumping
the last few days to try and up my supply and get something established real
well so I hopefully won't have to deal with the same issues I had with DD1.
Since October 31st (DD2 was 1 week old) I've managed to pump and store 2
bottles of 8oz each, as well as 3 bfing storage bags of 6oz. I also have
another bottle on the go with about 5oz in it from today as well - I like to
wait and put a full 6oz in the bags before freezing and storing. Figure it
can't hurt, even once everything is well on its way, to have a backup just
in case... In those cases where I might just want a break or something
So, at 8 days old, DD2 weighed 7lbs 8oz - that's 5oz more than birth weight,
and at only 8 days, so yea, so far I'm thinking it's all going great.
We do, however, have a slight issue with the sleeping arrangements... It
appears that every night, DD2 manages to sneak into our bed to sleep! lol
I'm not one for co-sleeping - kinda had some issues with DS and him not
sleeping in his own bed until he was about a year old DD1, however,
slept in her own bed (basinette) from day 1. DD2, though, seems to be
following in big brother's steps with the sneaking into bed thing
Whatever to save my own sanity, though... DH seems to fall asleep cuddling
DD2, so it's alright. My own sanity is what I'm trying to keep in mind!