A 6-hour feed? (long, sorry)

Old October 10th 03, 07:22 PM
zeldabee

Default A 6-hour feed? (long, sorry)

Mogget wrote:
zeldabee writes

I've got a Maya Wrap, and I've looked at the video several times, and I
just can't get it to work--not even to carry Bubeleh around, forget
about nursing him in it. I can't seem to adjust it in a way that makes
sense, and normally I do pretty well spatially. I really wanted to make
it work, because I'm still goosey about NIP, and basically have to take
the baby out of the New Native Baby sling in order to nurse.

So much of the time, I just don't go out if it would be more than an
hour. (I do like the NNB sling, BTW, Bloke loves it, and the baby seems
comfortable in it.) But I really want to get this sorted, I think my
life will be easier. I feel like a bit of an idiot for not being able to
figure it out.

Likewise.

The Maya Wrap sling has just been sitting there, making me feel stupid,
and that it's yet another wasted purchase.

Ha! I just ordered the Ultimate Baby Wrap, which a friend of mine has. I've
seen her use it, and she even showed me how to put it on. I *will* figure
that one out, even if I have to get my friend to show me a few more times.

NP, I could just give the Maya Wrap to my daycare provider...though a local
store has a sling class this Sunday. They want 10 bucks...I'm seriously
considering it. I want to get this sling thing down--but then I've also
developed quite a resentment toward the MW.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
Old October 10th 03, 07:22 PM
zeldabee

"Jenrose" wrote:
"zeldabee" wrote ...
"Jenrose" wrote:
[...]
Time to really focus on learning how to breastfeed in a baby sling.
If you can even free one hand, you'll be ahead. Also time to nurse
lying down.

I've got a Maya Wrap, and I've looked at the video several times, and I
just can't get it to work--not even to carry Bubeleh around, forget
about nursing him in it. [...]

Describe, in detail, what you see as the difficulties... What position
are you trying to get baby into? What causes problems?

I'm trying the newborn nursing position (baby is 1 month old), and he just
ends up in a lumpy heap down in the sling (where he fusses and is
definitely uncomfortable), and I can't seem to adjust it the way they show
you in the video--I pull on the middle part of the tail to try to make the
pouch more shallow, but it doesn't really work--it's really hard to pull,
and once I've managed to pull it, the whole thing gets too tight. It makes
me think I don't have it threaded right, so I've rethreaded it a couple of
times (and that part of the video is really hard to follow), but to no
avail.

I feel like I need to see someone using it IRL--which I may do if I want to
shell out 10 bucks for a class...

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
Old October 11th 03, 06:36 PM
Jenrose

"zeldabee" wrote in message
"Jenrose" wrote:
"zeldabee" wrote ...
"Jenrose" wrote:
[...]
Time to really focus on learning how to breastfeed in a baby sling.
If you can even free one hand, you'll be ahead. Also time to nurse
lying down.

I've got a Maya Wrap, and I've looked at the video several times, and

just can't get it to work--not even to carry Bubeleh around, forget
about nursing him in it. [...]

Describe, in detail, what you see as the difficulties... What position
are you trying to get baby into? What causes problems?

I'm trying the newborn nursing position (baby is 1 month old),

Skip that hold for now. Ignore it. My kids have never liked it. Try this.
Put the sling on. Make it relatively snug and high on on your body. Not
tight--you need to be able to pull it out a couple inches at the top. But
close and high. Put baby up against your shoulder. Pull the top of the sling
out from your body a little. Tuck his feet into it. Let him snuggle down
(you may want his feet to come out the bottom and let the sling support his
butt) so he's upright on your chest, relatively close to the rings. It
should hold him in place on the center of your chest, where you might carry
him anyway.

If you find the rings a problem in this position, try putting the sling on
upside down and backward and then putting him in basically the same way.

and he just
ends up in a lumpy heap down in the sling (where he fusses and is
definitely uncomfortable), and I can't seem to adjust it the way they show
you in the video--I pull on the middle part of the tail to try to make the
pouch more shallow, but it doesn't really work--it's really hard to pull,
and once I've managed to pull it, the whole thing gets too tight. It makes
me think I don't have it threaded right, so I've rethreaded it a couple of
times (and that part of the video is really hard to follow), but to no
avail.

Sometimes you have to separate the rings a little for the fabric to move
easily through them. Also, there's no point in trying to adjust the thing if
you don't first lift up on your baby a little--the baby's weight "locks" the
sling . You want it to be hard to adjust when it is supporting baby's
weight--if it were easy, baby would end up on the floor. But if you put a
hand under baby and lift up, poof, the sling is easier to adjust.

Jenrose

Old October 11th 03, 06:38 PM
Jenrose

The Maya Wrap sling has just been sitting there, making me feel stupid,
and that it's yet another wasted purchase.

Ha! I just ordered the Ultimate Baby Wrap, which a friend of mine has.

I've
seen her use it, and she even showed me how to put it on. I *will* figure
that one out, even if I have to get my friend to show me a few more times.

NP, I could just give the Maya Wrap to my daycare provider...though a

local
store has a sling class this Sunday. They want 10 bucks...I'm seriously
considering it. I want to get this sling thing down--but then I've also
developed quite a resentment toward the MW.

You should probably take the sling class. I find that 10 minutes with most
people in just about any sling I've run across will make the sling more
comfy for them and easier to use. There is nothing like getting good help
with it in person!

Jenrose

Old October 11th 03, 06:43 PM
Jenrose

"zeldabee" wrote in message
"Jenrose" wrote:
[...]
Time to really focus on learning how to breastfeed in a baby sling. If
you can even free one hand, you'll be ahead. Also time to nurse lying
down.

I've got a Maya Wrap, and I've looked at the video several times, and I
just can't get it to work--not even to carry Bubeleh around, forget about
nursing him in it.

Oh! I forgot to mention about nursing in it--

Try this... Make the sling pretty loose. Sit down. Put the sling on, but let
it slide down to your waist so that both arms are above it. Now, latch baby
on. Then pick up one side of the sling (pick it up whereever the rings won't
end up right under baby's butt...) and bring that side up to your shoulder.
It will be good if you can still adjust it in whatever position the rings
end up in. Still supporting baby with one arm, bring the sling into a
position where it loosely drapes under baby and your arm both, and up over
one shoulder. Now, with one hand, tighten it into position. It may lock your
arm in place--that's okay for now. The point is to start out with the sling
supporting both your arm and the baby. Once you're comfortable with this,
you can start experimenting to get the sling to support the baby the way
your arm would without your arm actually being there. That's almost always
the goal--to support baby the way your arms would.

Jenrose

Old October 12th 03, 11:19 AM
Taniwha grrrl

"Mogget" wrote in message

Likewise.

The Maya Wrap sling has just been sitting there, making me

feel stupid,
and that it's yet another wasted purchase.

Make me a 'me 3', I spent over $90NZ ordering mine from the
US and it's done nothing but give me brain owie, I get so
frustrated with the thing. It's sitting in the cupboard with
all the baby equipment I just had to have but never use. I
bought a babybonda (like a hugabub/Didymous(sp?) too and
that's keeping the Maya wrap company.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Old October 12th 03, 10:41 PM
zeldabee

"Jenrose" wrote:
"zeldabee" wrote ...
"Jenrose" wrote:
"zeldabee" wrote ...
"Jenrose" wrote:
[...]
[...]

I'll try it--I'd imagine he'd like it...but how do I nurse like that?

If you find the rings a problem in this position, try putting the sling
on upside down and backward and then putting him in basically the same
way.

I can't really visualize this...

[...]

Sorry, I should have specified that I *am* supporting the baby's weight
when I try to adjust it. I'll try fussing with the rings. (I missed the
sling class...)

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
Old October 12th 03, 11:19 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

zeldabee wrote:

I'll try it--I'd imagine he'd like it...but how do I nurse like that?

Lift shirt, scoot sling with baby a bit to one side or the
other. He nurses belly to belly with you, sitting upright.

Phoebe

--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt