Parents Mag article

Old July 13th 03, 01:35 PM
Belphoebe

Default Parents Mag article

"Leslie" wrote in message
Anybody read the latest issue of Parents? I don't know why I bother--it

always
gets me angry--and this issue was even more full of garbage than usual.

There's an article on preventing SIDS. There is NO mention of the

preventive
effects of breasatfeeding, but there is a diatribe against co-sleeping:

"2. Don't let your baby snooze in your bed.

[ . . . ]

I'm glad you posted about this, because I was thinking of doing so myself.
This also ****ed me off. Notice that the reasons given for co-sleeping
being so allegedly risky all involve not practicing *safe* co-sleeping.
It's like saying never take your baby on trips in your car, because not
using a carseat is so dangerous--instead of simply warning how important it
is to *use* a carseat!

The same issue has a ped recommending CIO in a Q & A section, and an article
on colic that suggests scheduled feedings ("wait a minimum of 2 1/2 hours
from the beginning of one feeding to the beginning of the next, and limit
each meal to 30 minutes" [186]) (!).

Like you, I don't know why I bother. It was a gift subscription, and I know
I won't renew it when it expires!

Belphoebe

Old July 13th 03, 02:00 PM
gerry

"Leslie" wrote in message
Anybody read the latest issue of Parents? I don't know why I bother--it

always
gets me angry--and this issue was even more full of garbage than usual.

There's an article on preventing SIDS. There is NO mention of the

preventive
effects of breasatfeeding..

There's no conclusive evidence that breastfeeding prevents SIDS. Some
studies have shown that it might, others that it doesn't make any
difference. The Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths in the UK is very
careful to point out that SIDS occurs in both bottle fed and breast fed
babies. Although SIDS is extremely rare it's important not to be lulled into
a false sense of security and make sure to follow the guidelines which have
been proved to work.

Old July 13th 03, 02:40 PM
badgirl

"Sue" wrote in message
I always view these kinds of articles that have to reach the whole

general
public as a precautionary measure. It's like the advice to not put

bottles
in the microwave because there are hot spots in them. Well any

person with
half a brain knows to shake the bottle so it doesn't burn the baby.

So, for
co-sleeping, they are stating a whole generalization statement that

people
who sleep with babies don't know enough on how to co-sleep properly.

They
should have, however, put in statements on how to co-sleep properly.

But,
they do assume that their audience doesn't have half a brain to do

it safely
and properly. I don't get worked up over these articles, I use what

pertains
to me and throw out the rest.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Yea ;( Same reason "Do Not Drink" is on the label of a bottle of
bleach, and "Do Not Use This Appliance While Bathing" is on your
hairdryer. The world is FULL of idiot ****tards, the rest of us with a
brain need to just *read around* all the stupid crap they put out
yano?

Jen

Old July 13th 03, 03:36 PM
Michelle Podnar

I forgot about the article on Colicky babies!! That once also sucked!! So
if my baby is hungry after an hour, how do I tell them that they have to
wait another hour and a half.....it is easy to say, very hard to actually
implement!! Their articles are just a joke. It is scary to know that
people read that mag and not know better, and get themselves into a battle
that never has to happen

Michelle P

Old July 13th 03, 05:10 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Leslie wrote:

An infant can get pinned between the mattress and the bed frame

No bedframe here. Based on the beds I've seen, falling out
would be more likely than getting pinned between the
mattress and a frame, unless you're co-sleeping on a waterbed.

sink into the pillow and quilt

Which is why you don't put the baby on a pillow or quilt...

a baby who sleeps with Mom or Dad in a grown-up bed is nearly
one-and-a-half times more likely to die of SIDS,

Are they sure they aren't confabulating SIDS with
suffocation? Dying from getting stuck in the bedframe or a
pillow over the face doesn't really sound like an
unexplained death (which is what SIDS is), but rather like
smothering.

the risks can quickly rise if parents cover their baby
with a comforter, or if either or both have been drinking, are taking
sleep-inducing drugs, or are very tired

You'd think, with the number of people who co-sleep casually
(so are less likely to take precautions), they'd be better
off telling people how to co-sleep safely, rather than
saying don't do it. It's like saying "don't let a baby ride
in the car" rather than impressing on you the need to use
the carseat for every trip and not drive while impaired. :P

Phoebe

Old July 13th 03, 05:24 PM
Sue

Leslie wrote in message
Anybody read the latest issue of Parents? I don't know why I bother--it

always
gets me angry--and this issue was even more full of garbage than usual.

There's an article on preventing SIDS. There is NO mention of the

preventive
effects of breasatfeeding, but there is a diatribe against co-sleeping:

"2. Don't let your baby snooze in your bed. It's tempting to bring your

newborn
into your bed, at least occasionally. And more moms and dads are making it

permanent arrangement: Nearly 13 percent of babies under 8 months of age
usually share an adult bed at night, up from just 5.5 percent in 1993,
according to the NICHD.

Don't jump on the bandwagon. "Adult beds are not designed for babies,"

says
Marian Willinger, Ph.D., special assistant for SIDS at the NICHD, in

Bethesda,
Maryland. "An infant can get pinned between the mattress and the bed

frame, or
sink into the pillow and quilt." The crowded environment might also cause

the
child to rebreathe air pockets, just as tummy-sleeping can. Possibly for

these
reasons, a baby who sleeps with Mom or Dad in a grown-up bed is nearly
one-and-a-half times more likely to die of SIDS, according to one

preliminary
study. Most experts consider that increase to be negligible, says Fern R.
Hauck, M.D., a SIDS researcher at the University of Virginia, in
Charlottesville, but the risks can quickly rise if parents cover their

baby
with a comforter, or if either or both have been drinking, are taking
sleep-inducing drugs, or are very tired -- which may make them unaware

that
they're crowding their child. If Mom or Dad smokes, the risks increase too

(for
more on why, see Tip #6). "

http://www.parents.com/articles/health/5373.jsp?page=2

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91), Jake (1/27/94), Teddy (2/15/95), and William (3/5/01)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/o/onemoremakesfour/

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old July 13th 03, 07:36 PM
Cheryl S.

Phoebe & Allyson wrote in message
You'd think, with the number of people who co-sleep casually
(so are less likely to take precautions), they'd be better
off telling people how to co-sleep safely, rather than
saying don't do it. It's like saying "don't let a baby ride
in the car" rather than impressing on you the need to use
the carseat for every trip and not drive while impaired. :P

Unfortunately they probably do have to be careful what they say is OK,
in any way, shape or form. If they ran an article on how to co-sleep
safely, once they've said "co-sleeping is safe", the magazine has opened
itself up to being sued by the parents whose baby dies while
co-sleeping, even if they weren't following all the things that come
after the "if" in "co-sleeping is safe IF you do X, Y and Z." The only
way for them to legally CT(heir)A is to say, "don't co-sleep".

rant Just another example of the myriad of ways that stupid,
sue-happy people make things worse for everyone else. end rant
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 3 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old July 13th 03, 08:38 PM
Patty Reali

"badgirl" wrote in message
et...

"Sue" wrote in message

(snip)

I don't get worked up over these articles, I use what
pertains
to me and throw out the rest.

(snip)

the rest of us with a
brain need to just *read around* all the stupid crap they put out
yano?

I do the same with Parents mag, but just out of curiosity - anyone found a
parenting mag that they generally like *most* of the articles? I know this
will vary by person, but Parents struck me as most balanced out of the 4 or
5 I looked at way back when I was still expecting. (I guess that's not *so*
"way back," but feels like it, ya know?)

Patty

Old July 13th 03, 09:42 PM
Michelle Podnar

I like Today Parent (Cdn Magazine) or Mothering.

Michelle P
"Patty Reali" wrote in message

"badgirl" wrote in message
et...

(snip)

Old July 14th 03, 12:08 AM
Patty Reali

"larissa" wrote in message
u...
I just found one I like called 'Natural Parenting' (Australia) It has
articles on natural weaning, cloth nappies/diapers, bad behaviour and
nutrition, homeschool and natural remedies.

Larissa

Do you know if it's available in the US? I might pop over to Barnes and
Noble in the near future to look at their selection.

Patty