Parents Mag article

Old July 14th 03, 04:59 AM
Leslie

Default Parents Mag article

Belphoebe said:

This also ****ed me off. Notice that the reasons given for co-sleeping
being so allegedly risky all involve not practicing *safe* co-sleeping.
It's like saying never take your baby on trips in your car, because not
using a carseat is so dangerous--instead of simply warning how important it
is to *use* a carseat!

Love this analogy! You are so right. Why not just say, "If you decide to
sleep with your baby, you can decrease the risk of SIDS by . . . "

The same issue has a ped recommending CIO in a Q & A section, and an article
on colic that suggests scheduled feedings ("wait a minimum of 2 1/2 hours
from the beginning of one feeding to the beginning of the next, and limit
each meal to 30 minutes" [186]) (!).

Like you, I don't know why I bother. It was a gift subscription, and I know
I won't renew it when it expires!

When I cancelled my Parents subscription years ago, they called and tried to
convince me to renew, and I told them that after four years all the articles
were starting to repeat themselves. That shut them right up.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91), Jake (1/27/94), Teddy (2/15/95), and William (3/5/01)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/o/onemoremakesfour/

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old July 14th 03, 05:00 AM
Leslie

Gerry said:

There's no conclusive evidence that breastfeeding prevents SIDS. Some
studies have shown that it might, others that it doesn't make any
difference.

I had the impression that there was a correlation, at the very least.

The Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths in the UK is very
careful to point out that SIDS occurs in both bottle fed and breast fed
babies. Although SIDS is extremely rare it's important not to be lulled into
a false sense of security and make sure to follow the guidelines which have
been proved to work.

Oh, absolutely--but I still think they might have mentioned that some studies
have shown a preventive effect for bf.

Old July 14th 03, 05:08 AM
Leslie

Patty asked:

I do the same with Parents mag, but just out of curiosity - anyone found a
parenting mag that they generally like *most* of the articles?

Yes. Mothering. I also like The Compleat Mother, in which I "read around"
the more radical stuff!

Old July 14th 03, 02:36 PM
Sue

Yeah, but what about all those mothers who are unfortunately less endowed
with brains than you who are going to read that article and think it's
gospel truth because Parents said so? Doesn't the magazine have some
responsibility to be truthful in informing people who really take it
seriously as a source of
parenting wisdom?

Leslie

But co-sleeping isn't that important of a parenting issue. If it was about
breastfeeding, sure they need to be as accurate as they can be. But,
co-sleeping isn't for everyone and it isn't even required. And again, they
are reaching the general public so they have to be very careful in what they
write about because there are all walks of life reading the magazine. They
have to cover their butts.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old July 14th 03, 03:55 PM
Joy

When I cancelled my Parents subscription
years ago, they called and tried to convince
me to renew, and I told them that after four
years all the articles were starting to repeat
themselves. That shut them right up.

I cancelled my subscription years ago, also. Recently, I received a
call from them trying to convince me that I NEEDED the magazine. I said
I wasn't interested. Three kids, btdt. The guy told me, basically,
that I was stupid to not renew at such a low rate for such a great
resource on parenting. I finally said that I totally disagreed with
their parenting magazine. They had no clue about homebirth,
co-sleeping, or breastfeeding, and I just wasn't interested reading all
the crap that I already knew I didn't agree with. He finally got the
hint.

Joy

http://community.webtv.net/joybelle15/ROSESCLUBFOOTPAGE

Old July 14th 03, 05:27 PM
Stephanie and Tim

"Leslie" wrote in message
Anybody read the latest issue of Parents? I don't know why I bother--it

always
gets me angry--and this issue was even more full of garbage than usual.

There's an article on preventing SIDS. There is NO mention of the

preventive
effects of breasatfeeding, but there is a diatribe against co-sleeping:

"2. Don't let your baby snooze in your bed. It's tempting to bring your

newborn
into your bed, at least occasionally. And more moms and dads are making it

permanent arrangement: Nearly 13 percent of babies under 8 months of age
usually share an adult bed at night, up from just 5.5 percent in 1993,
according to the NICHD.

Don't jump on the bandwagon. "Adult beds are not designed for babies,"

says
Marian Willinger, Ph.D., special assistant for SIDS at the NICHD, in

Bethesda,
Maryland. "An infant can get pinned between the mattress and the bed

frame, or
sink into the pillow and quilt." The crowded environment might also cause

the
child to rebreathe air pockets, just as tummy-sleeping can. Possibly for

these
reasons, a baby who sleeps with Mom or Dad in a grown-up bed is nearly
one-and-a-half times more likely to die of SIDS, according to one

preliminary
study. Most experts consider that increase to be negligible, says Fern R.
Hauck, M.D., a SIDS researcher at the University of Virginia, in
Charlottesville, but the risks can quickly rise if parents cover their

baby
with a comforter, or if either or both have been drinking, are taking
sleep-inducing drugs, or are very tired -- which may make them unaware

that
they're crowding their child. If Mom or Dad smokes, the risks increase too

(for
more on why, see Tip #6). "

http://www.parents.com/articles/health/5373.jsp?page=2

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91), Jake (1/27/94), Teddy (2/15/95), and William (3/5/01)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/o/onemoremakesfour/

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Do other people's very pro-breastfeeding peds not also agree with the
recommendation to not cosleep?

Old July 14th 03, 07:36 PM
Naomi

"gerry" wrote in message ...
"Leslie" wrote in message
Anybody read the latest issue of Parents? I don't know why I bother--it

always
gets me angry--and this issue was even more full of garbage than usual.

There's an article on preventing SIDS. There is NO mention of the

preventive
effects of breasatfeeding..

There's no conclusive evidence that breastfeeding prevents SIDS. Some
studies have shown that it might, others that it doesn't make any
difference.

Uhhh... I don't think anyone ever claimed that breastfeeding PREVENTS
SIDS. (Obviously bf babies DO die of SIDS too.) But there is some
evidence that it may reduce the risk of SIDS.

Naomi

Old July 14th 03, 07:39 PM
Naomi

"Sue" wrote in message ...
Yeah, but what about all those mothers who are unfortunately less endowed

with brains than you who are going to read that article and think it's
gospel truth because Parents said so? Doesn't the magazine have some
responsibility to be truthful in informing people who really take it
seriously as a source of
parenting wisdom?

Leslie

But co-sleeping isn't that important of a parenting issue. If it was about
breastfeeding, sure they need to be as accurate as they can be. But,
co-sleeping isn't for everyone and it isn't even required. And again, they
are reaching the general public so they have to be very careful in what they
write about because there are all walks of life reading the magazine. They
have to cover their butts.

I'm not quite clear what you are getting at here. Right, it isn't for
everyone, and it isn't required. So, if they were to write, "Everyone
is required to co-sleep or be considered a terrible mother!" they
would be way off base. But it is JUST as wrong, therefore, for them
to write "Nobody should co-sleep, because is horribly dangerous!"
which is, essentially, what they are doing here.
Co-sleeping is an option. It has pros and cons. It does not increase
the risk of SIDS and, if done carefully, does not increase of risk of
suffoccation. So claiming in the article that co-sleeping increases
the risk of SIDS is just plain wrong, and doesn't, in any way, cover
their butts.

Naomi