A new study shows Ritalin used for ADHD "May affect developing brain'

Old July 24th 07, 09:50 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nutrition
The One True Zhen Jue

Default A new study shows Ritalin used for ADHD "May affect developing brain'

On Jul 24, 10:23 am, TC wrote:
On Jul 23, 10:26 pm, Mark Probert
wrote:

TC wrote:
On Jul 22, 12:28 pm, The One True Zhen Jue
wrote:
On Jul 22, 10:04 am, bigvince wrote:

A new study states that ""These brain tissue findings revealed
Ritalin-associated changes in four main areas," Dr. Milner says.
"First, we noticed alterations in brain chemicals such as
catecholamines and norepinephrine in the rats' prefrontal cortex - a
part of the mammalian brain responsible for higher executive thinking
and decision-making. There were also significant changes in
catecholamine function in the hippocampus, a center for memory and
learning."
Sounds like these are positive changes, Vince. Wouldn't that be a
total shame if these children were experiencing permanent improvements
as a result of taking Ritalin?

"Sounds like these are positive changes"? Is that a definite enough
assessment of benefit vs risk for you to put your children on these
meds?

These kids do not develop ADHD, etc. because they lack these meds in
their systems. They develop them from poor diet.

BULL****. ADHD has nothing to do with poor diet. NOTING.

Again, we see how modern medicine has convinced us to completely
divorce physical and mental wellness from the fundmental concept of
nutrition.

Without proper nutrition we become sick and will die. We fail to
thrive. Basic mental and physical functions of the human body fail to
function as expected.

ADHD does not occur just because we did not feed our kids Ritalin.

ADHD is not a disease of malnourshment. IF it were, you'd see it in
famine zones world wide.
You don't see it disproportionally high in such circumstances. You
don't see it cured with dietary changes, either.
Its a neurological disorder with genetic components. I quote "The
estimated contribution of non genetic factors to the contribution of
all cases of ADHD is 20 percent" None of those mentioned were
malnourishment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhd

The exact cause of ADHD remains unknown. Research suggests that ADHD
arises from a combination of various genes, many of which affect
dopamine transporters.[27] Suspect genes include the 10-repeat allele
of the DAT1 gene,[28] the 7-repeat allele of the DRD4 gene,[28] and
the dopamine beta hydroxylase gene (DBH TaqI).[29] Additionally, SPECT
scans found people with ADHD to have reduced blood circulation,[30]
and a significantly higher concentration of dopamine transporters in
the striatum which is in charge of planning ahead.[31]

A new study by the U.S. Department of Energy's Brookhaven National
Laboratory in collaboration with Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New
York suggest that it is not the dopamine transporter levels that
indicate ADHD, but the brain's ability to produce dopamine itself. The
study was done by injecting 20 ADHD subjects and 25 control subjects
with a radiotracer that attaches itself to dopamine transporters. The
study found that it was not the transporter levels that indicated
ADHD, but the dopamine itself. ADHD subjects showed lower levels of
dopamine across the board. They speculated that since ADHD subjects
had lower levels of dopamine to begin with, the number of transporters
in the brain was not the telling factor.[citation needed]

An early PET scan study found that global cerebral glucose metabolism
was 8.1% lower in medication-naive adults who had been diagnosed as
ADHD while children. The image on the left illustrates glucose
metabolism in the brain of a 'normal' adult while doing an assigned
auditory attention task; the image on the right illustrates the areas
of activity in the brain of an adult who had been diagnosed with ADHD
as a child when given that same task; these are not pictures of
individual brains, which would contain substantial overlap, these are
images constructed to illustrate group-level differences.
Additionally, the regions with the greatest deficit of activity in the
ADHD patients (relative to the controls) included the premotor cortex
and the superior prefrontal cortex.[26] These findings strongly imply
that lowered activity in specific regions of the brain, rather than a
broad global deficit, is involved in ADHD symptoms. However, it should
be noted that these readings are of subjects doing an assigned task.
They could be found in ADHD diagnosed patients because they simply
were not attending to the task. Hence the parts of the brain used by
others doing the task would not show equal activity in the ADHD
patients.[citation needed]

The estimated contribution of non genetic factors to the contribution
of all cases of ADHD is 20 percent.[32] The few environmental factors
implicated fall in the realm of biohazards and include alcohol,
tobacco smoke, and lead poisoning. Complications during pregnancy and
birth-including premature birth-might also play a role. It has been
observed that women who smoke while pregnant are more likely to have
children with ADHD.[33] This could be related to the fact than
nicotine is known to cause hypoxia (lack of oxygen) in utero, but it
could also be that ADHD women have more probabilities to smoke both in
general and during pregnancy, being more likely to have children with
ADHD due to genetic factors.

Nutrient deficiency

from the time of conception thru their infancy to their present age.

http://www.1stholistic.com/Nutrition...f-symptoms.htm

Anxiety, depression, irritability, emotional, mental impairment,
instability, nervousness, are all symptoms of many individual vitamin
deficiencies and will manifest in cases of general malnourishment.

But our medical doctors weren't taught this in Med School. They were
taught to prescribes meds. In fact, they may only get a basic three
month Intro to Nutrition, if they are lucky.

Good health is impossible without good nutrition.- Hide quoted text -

Old July 25th 07, 03:48 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nutrition
Mark Probert

wrote:
[...]

I have heard that MORONIC statement before. AFAIAC, it is one of the
more stupid comments made, since it is, in essence, a straw man.

ADHD is neither nutritionally based or a deficiency of anything
ingestible. The best evidence is that it is a combination of structural
and chemical differences affecting how the brain handles brain roduced
chemicals.

Old July 25th 07, 03:48 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nutrition
TC

wrote:
[...]

How do you know that you do not see it in famine zones? And that would
be comparing apples to oranges. Famine and malnourishment, insofar as
these discussions are concerned, are different. Famine is having
access to very little food, generally quickly leading to severe
malnutrition and possibly death. Malnourishment, the way we are using
the word in these discussions, is having food with low levels of
nourishment over a longer period of time where we witness much more
subtle and maybe not so subtle effects.

I am always struck at how people take simple straightforward logic to
their absolute extremes to argue a point when the extreme is not and
has never been the point of the discussion in the first place.

I am talking about relatively subtle and sometimes not so subtle
effects of sometimes clinical and often sub-clinical nutrient
deficiencies over the entire developmental period of a child. From
conception to the age when they are diagnosed with a plethora of
various symptoms. Simply put, a child that is not physically and/or
mentally robust is sufferring from something that is wrong, and I
propose that the majority of these problems are, in fact,
nutritionally related.

And the problems comes from the Standard American Diet that is very
high in sugars, high in refined grain products and high in highly
processed vegetable oils which are all low in basic nutrition. These
basic foods are low in healthy proteins, healthy fats, healthy carbs,
and essential vitamins and minerals. We've gotten away from real (ie.
nutritious) foods and we gorge on nutritionally empty modern processed
garbage foods.

The assumption that the American food supply is adequate for optimal
health is what has gotten us to where we are today. The rates of
diabetes, obesity, heart disease, chrohn's disease, mental conditions,
ADHD, etc. are at their highest in history DESPITE the doctors and
their prescriptions.

Something is seriously wrong here. And it ain't the genetics. They
haven't changed. But the nature of our food supply has.

You don't see it disproportionally high in such circumstances. You
don't see it cured with dietary changes, either.
Its a neurological disorder with genetic components. I quote "The
estimated contribution of non genetic factors to the contribution of
all cases of ADHD is 20 percent" None of those mentioned were
malnourishment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhd

The exact cause of ADHD remains unknown.

Have you noticed that doctors don't seem to know what causes all kinds
of health problems like obesity, diabetes, chrohn's, cancers, etc. But
they will most definitely treat you for these, despite not knowing
much about the actual causes. Makes for a lot of doctor fees and
prescriptions. Last year they sold more than 500 billion dollars in
pharmaceuticals. Yet, we are still sick, still dying, and no-one is
being actually cured, just "treated".

I would suggest that we look elsewhere for some insight as to what
causes these problems, since doctors are admittedly completely
ignorant of the causes.

Old July 25th 07, 03:57 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nutrition
TC

wrote:
[...]

And what causes it? It just happens? And it just happens to affect
more and more and more children just because?

Thirty years ago, very few kids showed such problems. Now they are
frikkin' everywhere. I know a person that works at an elementary
school. More than 50% of the kids today at that school needs special
assistance due to conditions like ADHD.

That was not the case a couple of generations ago when we ate real
food with few sugary treats. Before we drank a half gallon of high
fructose corn syrup laden soda every day with every meal. Before mac a
cheese was a staple. Before margarine replace butter in most
households.

The SAD diet has completely destroyed the health of not only our
friens and family but more tragically, the current and next generation
of children.

They do not get ADHD for no reason. Or because we haven't fed them
Ritalin.

Look at the absurdity of your logic. A pill with a tiny amount of a
chemical called Ritalin is supposed to confer a life changing magical
cure to a devastating condition. Yet, everything else they put into
their mouths that is supposed to provide life giving nutrition and
allow them to thrive physically and mentally is, according to you,
completely irrelevant to this condition and their general health.

get real.

Old July 27th 07, 03:33 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nutrition
Mark Probert

wrote:
[...]

You are quite partially correct. Genetics have no changed. That is why
the first descriptions of AD/HD are over a century ago. It is not a new
problem, just a newly recognized one.

You don't see it disproportionally high in such circumstances. You
don't see it cured with dietary changes, either.
Its a neurological disorder with genetic components. I quote "The
estimated contribution of non genetic factors to the contribution of
all cases of ADHD is 20 percent" None of those mentioned were
malnourishment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhd

The exact cause of ADHD remains unknown.

Have you noticed that doctors don't seem to know what causes all kinds
of health problems like obesity, diabetes, chrohn's, cancers, etc. But
they will most definitely treat you for these, despite not knowing
much about the actual causes. Makes for a lot of doctor fees and
prescriptions. Last year they sold more than 500 billion dollars in
pharmaceuticals. Yet, we are still sick, still dying, and no-one is
being actually cured, just "treated".

Have you noticed that there has been hundreds of research studies
looking for the causes of AD/HD, etc? Have you noticed that the
technology for "looking" has been rapidly changing over the past several
decades?

I would suggest that we look elsewhere for some insight as to what
causes these problems, since doctors are admittedly completely
ignorant of the causes.

"We" are. You are just not aware of them, or, you are employing the
fallacy of "I do not know about it, so it does not exist."
Old July 27th 07, 03:54 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nutrition
Mark Probert

wrote:
[...]

The best evidence available says it is genetics.

Thirty years ago, very few kids showed such problems. Now they are
frikkin' everywhere.

They were "everywhere" back then. They were either ignored (ADD
inattentive type) or called rotten kids who won't behave. They were the
kids who were lazy, crazy and stupid.

Then, we passed some laws...The Rehab Act and IDEA. In 1991, under the
Bush I regime, the US Department of Education mandated that LEAs begin
actively examining those kids who were not learning. They began finding
lots of kids with real, diagnosable problems.

I know a person that works at an elementary
school. More than 50% of the kids today at that school needs special
assistance due to conditions like ADHD.

I heard a similar story several years ago. It was published in Forbes
Magazine and actually specified the school.

An amazing thing happened. The principal of the school was a subscriber,
and wrote to Forbes to tell them they were full of crap.

Forbes did not publish it.

Media bull****.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...e=source&hl=en

That was not the case a couple of generations ago when we ate real
food with few sugary treats. Before we drank a half gallon of high
fructose corn syrup laden soda every day with every meal. Before mac a
cheese was a staple. Before margarine replace butter in most
households.

The SAD diet has completely destroyed the health of not only our
friens and family but more tragically, the current and next generation
of children.

They do not get ADHD for no reason. Or because we haven't fed them
Ritalin.

Look at the absurdity of your logic. A pill with a tiny amount of a
chemical called Ritalin is supposed to confer a life changing magical
cure to a devastating condition.

No one has claimed what you write, Mr.Straw Man.

Old July 27th 07, 05:45 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nutrition
Jan Drew

"Mark Probert" REPEATED THE REPEATED, REPEATLY:

Straw Man.

Groups View all web results » Results 1 - 24 of 24 for "straw
man"

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 1,060,000 for "straw man"
. (0.15 seconds)

Old July 27th 07, 05:50 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nutrition
Jan Drew

wrote:
[...]

Along with a whole list of causes. Invented to sell more ADHD drugs.

Old July 28th 07, 08:01 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med.nutrition
David Wright

In article .com,
TC wrote:

Let's look at the bigger picture. In the USA, there has never been
more sickness or more prescriptions or more doctors as there is today.
Diabetes, obesity, Chrohns's disease, celiac disease, heart disease,
mental illness. All these diseases are at an all time high. These all
share a common co-factor. Diet and malnourishment.

The cause of Crohn's disease is not known, though diet does have an
affect on it once it is present.

ADHD is a modern disease. What has changed in the last 100 years?
Diet. Processed and manufactured foods. White bread. Polished rice.
Sugars. Soft drinks. High fructose corn syrup. Pasta. Junk food.

ADHD is not a dietary disease.

There was no such thing as ADHD when I grew up.

Yes, there was.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
"Only George Bush could start a war for oil and not get any."
-- Bill Maher