Tummy tuck abdominoplasty muscle repair anyone?

Old January 11th 05, 01:22 PM
GwenO MS

Default Tummy tuck abdominoplasty muscle repair anyone?

I tried to post this message yesterday, but nothing is coming through yet, so
sorry if it's a duplicate. I didn't post this as "OT" because I wondered if any
of you mothers of multiples have had -- or if you are considering --
abdominoplasty and plycation (muscle repair). My daughter is scheduled for
tomorrow, and I'll be taking care of her and the boys (almost-4-year-old ID
twins). Any advice, tips, hints, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance...
Grandmom Gwen in SE PA
Old January 11th 05, 09:05 PM
Kender

I saw your message yesterday. I had my girls at 38 weeks and they were 7
pounds each but I only gained 35 pounds so I didn't have much of a problem.
If it was an issue for me I would definitely do it if I could afford it. I
could use the tummy tuck anyway part because of weight I gained after I quit
nursing but my muscles still seem good (under all that). : )
I hope it goes well for her. I'm sure she'll feel much better about herself
after. I've heard lots of stories of "twin skin".
Have fun with the Grandkids!
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2-15-97

Old March 4th 05, 09:08 AM
Jennifer in Maryland

"GwenO MS" wrote in message
I tried to post this message yesterday, but nothing is coming through yet,

so
sorry if it's a duplicate. I didn't post this as "OT" because I wondered

if any
of you mothers of multiples have had -- or if you are considering --
abdominoplasty and plycation (muscle repair). My daughter is scheduled

for
tomorrow, and I'll be taking care of her and the boys (almost-4-year-old

ID
twins). Any advice, tips, hints, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Gwen. :-) I had a tummy tuck 6 years ago, after I was finished having
kids. I had no problem with the surgery & am very pleased with the results.
When the tummy tuck was done, the surgeon did reconnect my muscles that had
split (diastasis rectii, IIRC), and I had some lipo done in various areas at
the same time.

The surgery was a same-day procedure. Important thing to remember is that
she will need a lot of help for the first couple of days, esp. while the
pain meds are still necessary. I was really out of it for the first 48
hours. Her boys might need to be prepared for Mommy being woozy!

I had to wear the restrictive garment for a long time (6 or 8 weeks, I don't
remember exactly), and that gets pretty gross and itchy after a while, but
that's more uncomfortable than painful.

I'd had two C-sections prior to the abdominoplasty, so two things helped in
that regard--one, I was sort of numb down in that region anyway; two, I was
used to the sort of things required in recovering from abdominal surgery.
It will hurt to cough or sneeze for a while. Your daughter can use a pillow
to hold against her surgical area when she needs to cough/sneeze/exert some
pressure from her abdomen.

The surgical area will look pretty messy for a while, but within a week it
should look much better. It's not uncommon for surgeons to need to "touch
up" various areas post-surgery. For me, I returned a while later (several
months) to get the belly button touched up a little bit.

If your daughter has any specific questions, please let me know. I was
disappointed in one thing. I'd been told that a tummy tuck was not a weight
loss method, and I sort of believed that. I was at the weight I needed to
be prior to the surgery. But deep down inside I *knew* I'd lose a *few*
pounds from the surgery...nope, nothing. :-) Anyway, that was just
something that bugged me, even though I'd been told the truth about the
surgery.

Six years down the line, I am *so happy* I had the surgery!

Jenny