*Newsflash* Hallowell & Ratey support Jan Drew's position on alternate treatments for ADD

Old August 4th 06, 11:35 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med,talk.politics.medicine
Raving Loonie

Default *Newsflash* Hallowell & Ratey support Jan Drew's position on alternate treatments for ADD

Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention
Deficit Disorder
by Edward M. Hallowell, John J. Ratey

Ballantine Books, 2006 Trade paperback edition

Contents | XV

25. Nutrition and ADD
A Cornerstone of Good Treatment 205

26. Omega-3 Fatty Acids:
A Nutrition-Based Treatment for ADD 214

27. Physical Exercise: A Great Treatment for ADD and a Magic Tonic for
your Brain 218

28. Powerful Exercises for the Brain That
Improve Attention 222

29. Cerebellar Stimulation: A Specific Kind of Physical
Exercise That Can Be Used to Treat ADD 225

30. To Try Medication or Not:
Some Reassuring Guidelines 240

============================

ALSO ...

Page 5.

"Q: What is the typical profile of a person who has ADD?"

Under the heading of ...

'Advantageous characteristics'

SIX (6) ITEMS spanning EIGHT (8) lines.

Under the heading of ...

'Disadvantageous characteristics'

TWENTY THREE (23) ITEMS spanning FIFTY FOUR (54) lines.

See http://tinyurl.com/ebfky for the book

* I find this to be exceedingly depressing. *

RL

Old August 12th 06, 01:33 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med,talk.politics.medicine
Raving Loonie

Raving Loonie wrote:
[...]

Notice: No response.

I guess that I am a psychotic and sick-in-the-head screwup.

Everything that I say is bull****.

I wish that I was never born.

Old August 12th 06, 02:02 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med,talk.politics.medicine
Linda

"Raving Loonie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Raving Loonie wrote:
[...]

sigh..

You place far too much weight on popular beliefs.

Popular beliefs must be dismissed as mostly nonsense...because consensus
opinion can and are only brokered by appeal to the LOWEST common
denominator.

Old August 12th 06, 06:01 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med,talk.politics.medicine
Raving Loonie

Default 

Raving Loonie wrote:
[...]

Garbage. ... Deleted.

Old August 12th 06, 06:41 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med,talk.politics.medicine
DJ

Which popular belief do you think he is clinging to Linda?
He has good points. It is FRUSTRATING to deal with these symptoms. I
am jealous of quiet people. How easy it must be to naturally sit and
listen and be strong from the inside out. RL's underlying question is,
IMHO, Why must we deal with these negative issues, and how do we
overcome them?
ADD'rs look for affirmation from the outside in, it validates the
previous decision, statement or action, since we often act and then go
'was that a good choice?'. Believe it or not, there is a documented
process on neuron transmission and some of us different.
RL, I sometimes tell myself that it's not that part of my brain is
slower, it's just that the other part is too fast for the other. That
makes me feel better, and usually smarter than those around me for
several days.....

Old August 12th 06, 08:48 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med,talk.politics.medicine


DJ wrote:
RL, I sometimes tell myself that it's not that part of my brain is
slower, it's just that the other part is too fast for the other. That
makes me feel better, and usually smarter than those around me for
several days.....

Each individual seems to use their mind in a very distinctive and
specific manner.

Why should we expect EVERYONE to make equivalent and maximal usage of
all parts of their brain?

The notion is preposterous.

Cordially,

RL

Old August 12th 06, 03:40 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med,talk.politics.medicine
marcia

Default  How do make this symbol?

 wrote:
DJ wrote:
RL, I sometimes tell myself that it's not that part of my brain is
slower, it's just that the other part is too fast for the other. That
makes me feel better, and usually smarter than those around me for
several days.....

Each individual seems to use their mind in a very distinctive and
specific manner.

Why should we expect EVERYONE to make equivalent and maximal usage of
all parts of their brain?

The notion is preposterous.

Cordially,

RL

How do you make that funny little square thing you're using online? You
might want to put something else in the subject line with it, because
on groups every topic shows up as: 

marcia

Old August 12th 06, 06:36 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med,talk.politics.medicine
Raving Loonie

marcia wrote:
 wrote:
DJ wrote:
RL, I sometimes tell myself that it's not that part of my brain is
slower, it's just that the other part is too fast for the other. That
makes me feel better, and usually smarter than those around me for
several days.....

Each individual seems to use their mind in a very distinctive and
specific manner.

Why should we expect EVERYONE to make equivalent and maximal usage of
all parts of their brain?

The notion is preposterous.

Cordially,

RL

How do you make that funny little square thing you're using online? You
might want to put something else in the subject line with it, because
on groups every topic shows up as: 

marcia

Copying and pasting works well. You need to ensure that 'Unicode' is
being used.

The "" character is U+F00A: Private Use

( See MS Character Map program to generate it )

Cordially,

RL

Old August 13th 06, 02:29 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med,talk.politics.medicine
Linda

"DJ" wrote in message
ps.com...
Which popular belief do you think he is clinging to Linda?

It's my impression that when RL is not expressing his frustration wrt the
gap of knowledge that exists between
a person with aDHD like himself, and those who proclaim themselves ADHD
experts....-RL is expressing his frustration
about the conflicts arising between and amongst people wrt "THE TRUTH" on
account of the innumerable ways
people going about constructing social reality.

See http://virtualschool.edu/mon/SocialConstruction/

Social Construction of Reality

Three very different ways of appreciating reality, a.k.a. "truth" are
outlined as concisely as possible in these food preference examples, mainly
to give each of the three ways a name to use in what follows.

Objective: Nature doesn't care what anyone thinks (see Feynman)
Quantitative (aka "Scientific") measurement proves brocolli is good for us.

The same measurements "prove" horses, cats, eagles, insects and worms are
better to eat than beef or chicken. (hypothetical case)

Subjective: What I think matters. (See Pirsig)

I don't like brocolli. The others? Ugh!

Intersubjective: What we think matters. (see Lakoff)

Everyone agrees brocolli, beef and chicken is good to eat. Jews and Muslims
will not eat pork. Most (not all) agree that horses, cats, insects and
eagles are not suitable as food, regardless of what scientific measurements
might "prove".

Jeffry Dahlmer was wrong to eat people, but this might be acceptable in very
rare circumstances, like the starving soccer team after their plane crashed
in the Andes.

It is not ok to kill people. But criminals, enemies in wars, etc?

It was once ok to kill wolves and to own slaves. Now it is not.

These examples illustrate three different tools that we all use everyday for
appreciating "truth" for understanding reality. We'd be glad of this
richness if these three tools were guaranteed to take us to the same
destination, to absolute "truth". But this conflicts with the irrational but
real delusion that absolute truth is accessible to us. With only three tools
in our kit that yield contradictory answers (four for those who count the
bible's "revealed truth"), it is not quite as simple as that.