Safe internet access for kids

Old April 22nd 09, 03:04 PM
jemhil jemhil is offline
Junior Member

Default Safe internet access for kids

My six year old daughter is very intrigued and curious about the internet. She knows and understands that having access to the internet is something different from just using a PC. I would like to introduce her to the net, but fear exposure to unnecessary and adult sites. How can I restrict her access to specific sites of her interest?
Old April 23rd 09, 01:52 AM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

jemhil wrote:
My six year old daughter is very intrigued and curious about the
internet. She knows and understands that having access to the internet
is something different from just using a PC. I would like to introduce
her to the net, but fear exposure to unnecessary and adult sites. How
can I restrict her access to specific sites of her interest?

By keeping the computer in a public location in the house, sitting down
with her often when she is on the internet and keeping a watchful eye on
her and the sites she is on when you are not sitting next to her. In
addition, let her know that you will be watching the sites you visits
carefully and that if she breaks the restrictions you put on her, then
she will lose computer priviledges for a while.
Old April 23rd 09, 02:05 AM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Put the computer with internet access in a public area.

Only permit access to specific web sites. At her age, you don't need to
let her have free-ranging access to the internet. pbskids.org is a good
site to start out with, for example.

If she's interested in looking up information, sit down with her to look
it up. Don't let her look things up on her own for several years.
(Between now and then you should be teaching her safe internet use and
how to look things up effectively. She should also be learning these
skills in school.)

Talk with the parents of her friends to find out when and how they let
their kids use the internet. You'll probably find good suggestions from
them.

Comment when she uses the internet responsibly. For example, thank her
for sticking to only the web sites she's allowed to visit, and for
getting off the computer when she's asked.

I hope these suggestions help,
--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.
Old April 23rd 09, 03:31 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

"jemhil" wrote in message

My six year old daughter is very intrigued and curious about the
internet. She knows and understands that having access to the internet
is something different from just using a PC. I would like to introduce
her to the net, but fear exposure to unnecessary and adult sites. How
can I restrict her access to specific sites of her interest?

I use Kidsurf on my Windows system and Glubble on my Firefox. They restrict
the surfing to preapproved sites. You may choose to allow only sites you
approve or sites the software makers have scanned and approved. You may
customize them to allow more sites or fewer sites. There are other programs
available.

Ditto keeping the computer in a public area. That really just keeps the
kids who know what they are doing from going where they know they shouldn't
go. The more innocent children can just stumble onto unsafe sites by merely
mistyping a web address. I don't want my kids accidentally stumbling
anywhere they shouldn't stumble.

Old April 23rd 09, 07:03 AM
Leonard Leonard is offline
Junior Member

The internet is probably the most powerful inventions of mankind. If used for productive and educative purposes, it can be very beneficial. Your child will develop communication and typing skills and will learn to express herself by using the internet. You can log on to www.kidsemail.org for this purpose. The site allows parental control, monitoring control on your child’s usage of the net so that you can ensure a safe experience for your child.
Old April 23rd 09, 02:27 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Leonard" wrote in message

The internet is probably the most powerful inventions of mankind. If
used for productive and educative purposes, it can be very beneficial.
Your child will develop communication and typing skills and will learn
to express herself by using the internet. You can log on to
snip for this purpose. The site allows parental control,

--
Leonard

What a cooincidence, Leonard, that you and jemhil both use
news.parentingbanter as your email address... and just happened to log on a
few hours after he posted. How helpful...
Debbie

Old April 26th 09, 02:46 AM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:52:55 GMT, Jeff
wrote:

jemhil wrote:
My six year old daughter is very intrigued and curious about the
internet. She knows and understands that having access to the internet
is something different from just using a PC. I would like to introduce
her to the net, but fear exposure to unnecessary and adult sites. How
can I restrict her access to specific sites of her interest?

By keeping the computer in a public location in the house, sitting down
with her often when she is on the internet and keeping a watchful eye on
her and the sites she is on when you are not sitting next to her. In
addition, let her know that you will be watching the sites you visits
carefully and that if she breaks the restrictions you put on her, then
she will lose computer priviledges for a while.

Some browsers only allow access to kids websites which can be a good
start before allowing full access.

This might be too young for her, but it's interesting
http://www.zacbrowser.com/

I haven't tried any of these, but they might help:

http://www.buddybrowser.com/
http://www.kidzui.com/

http://browsers.about.com/b/2007/10/...e-children.htm

--