IQ and what it means in adulthood

Old November 11th 07, 09:38 PM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Default IQ and what it means in adulthood

Welches wrote:
[snip]antzig.

At my college in Oxford, one of the night porters had (according to rumours)
been a high flying student at one stage. She got a job after finals, but had
problems with stress and decided that she'd be happier doing a non-academic
job, so she became a porter. She'd been there about 10-15 years when I left,
and (I think left a few years after with a job in academia).
This wasn't ever confirmed to me, so it may have not been true. She was a
lovely (and interesting) person to talk to anyway.

I can definately see the appeal for the porter: a low-stress job, but
around intelligent people.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old November 12th 07, 05:09 AM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Nov 10, 4:02 pm, Sarah Vaughan wrote:
Does anyone know of any good articles/studies on how well IQ scores in
childhood correlate with success in adulthood, given all the inherent
inaccuracies of the tests? I realise this is a pretty broad topic, but
I know there are some well-informed people here, and the subject has
come up for discussion on someone's blog so I'm interested in finding
out more.

The book "The Bell Curve" (1994) by Herrnstein and Murray covers this,
using data from National Longitudinal Survey of Labor Market
Experience of Youth (in the U.S.). They define 5 cognitive classes
corresponding to IQ percentiles:
(1) very bright -- top 5% -- 125+ IQ
(2) bright -- 75-95% -- 110-125 IQ
(3) normal -- 25-75% -- 90-110 IQ
(4) dull -- 5-25% -- 75-90 IQ
(5) very dull -- bottom 5% -- below 75 IQ

Here are the percentages of whites in various IQ groups meeting
certain conditions:

p132 living in
poverty:
2 3 6 16 30
p146 failure to get a HS
diploma: 0 0 6 35
55
p158 more than 1mo out of year not employed (males):
10 14 15 19 22
p161 disability preventing employment
(males): 0 0.5 0.5 3.6 7.8
p163 unemployed more than 1mo out of year
(males): 2 7 7 10 12
p174 divorced in first 5 years of
marriage: 9 15 23 22 21
p180 gave birth to illegitimate baby
(females): 2 4 8 17 32
p194 welfare dependence with 1 year of becoming mother (females): 1 4
12 21 55

For example, only 2% of very bright but 30% of very dull whites live
in poverty.

Cognitive test scores are better predictor of job performance than any
other single measure, according to a meta-analysis (p81):

The Validity of Some Different Predictors of Job Performance
Predictor Validity Predicting Job Performance
Ratings
cognitive test score 0.53
biographical data 0.37
reference checks 0.26
education 0.22
interview 0.14
college grades 0.11
interest 0.10
age -0.01

Old November 12th 07, 05:17 AM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

My attempt in the previous post to line up some of the numerical data
failed. Maybe the (non-) formatting below will be more readable.

Old November 12th 07, 05:44 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Beliavsky wrote:

Here are the percentages of whites in various IQ groups meeting
certain conditions:

....keeping very firmly in mind that correlation causation,
(and even when causation exists, correlation doesn't explain
which direction it's operating in) particularly when alternative
explanations practically throw themselves at you.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old November 12th 07, 08:28 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

At my college in Oxford, one of the night porters had (according to rumours)
been a high flying student at one stage. She got a job after finals, but had
problems with stress and decided that she'd be happier doing a non-academic
job, so she became a porter. She'd been there about 10-15 years when I left,
and (I think left a few years after with a job in academia).
This wasn't ever confirmed to me, so it may have not been true. She was a
lovely (and interesting) person to talk to anyway.

Having lived, studied and worked in Cambridge, you could never make any
judgment about someones intelligence by what job they had, someone's
secretary could easily have just as good a degree as they did. I myself
worked part time on both the academic and admin side at the same time!

Anne
Old November 12th 07, 08:38 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

I got a maths degree from Oxford, then nannied for 2 years before having my
own. I tend to keep the Oxford bit hidden as some people treat me
differently when they know, which irritates me. Occasionally it comes up and
people are often amazed that I have that qualification but have nannied for
a job.

I've often said we are some kind of pseudo twins! I did maths at
Cambridge rather than Oxford and also have a tendency to not mention
either. People who take me for who I am, a stay at home mother of two,
with a few interesting stories to tell, will switch to viewing me as an
underachiever when they discover my qualifications. It's been nice to
have moved away from a setting where most people have known me for a
while and even if they haven't, because of who within a group I know etc
there are some pretty big clues. Here, I'm just Anne, an English
mother of 2, only very occasionally do I get asked what I did and if I
do, I usually pick a part time job I did once - an awful lot of people
seem to have got the impression I was a teacher, I don't feel any need
to clarify that!

Anne
Old November 12th 07, 02:18 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Anne Rogers says...

I got a maths degree from Oxford, then nannied for 2 years before having my
own. I tend to keep the Oxford bit hidden as some people treat me
differently when they know, which irritates me. Occasionally it comes up and
people are often amazed that I have that qualification but have nannied for
a job.

I've often said we are some kind of pseudo twins! I did maths at
Cambridge rather than Oxford

There may be two of you but there is only *one* math!

Banty gdr

Old November 12th 07, 02:36 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Anne Rogers
says...

I got a maths degree from Oxford, then nannied for 2 years before having
my
own. I tend to keep the Oxford bit hidden as some people treat me
differently when they know, which irritates me. Occasionally it comes up
and
people are often amazed that I have that qualification but have nannied
for
a job.

I've often said we are some kind of pseudo twins! I did maths at
Cambridge rather than Oxford

There may be two of you but there is only *one* math!

"Math" is what a Catholic with a lisp goes to ;-P
Debbie

Old November 12th 07, 03:20 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Welches says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Anne Rogers
says...

I got a maths degree from Oxford, then nannied for 2 years before having
my
own. I tend to keep the Oxford bit hidden as some people treat me
differently when they know, which irritates me. Occasionally it comes up
and
people are often amazed that I have that qualification but have nannied
for
a job.

I've often said we are some kind of pseudo twins! I did maths at
Cambridge rather than Oxford

There may be two of you but there is only *one* math!

"Math" is what a Catholic with a lisp goes to ;-P
Debbie

There is only One True Math.

Banty

Old November 12th 07, 04:06 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 20:09:36 -0800, Beliavsky
wrote:

The book "The Bell Curve" (1994) by Herrnstein and Murray

The book and it's statistical analyses are flawed. Hernstein and
Murray start with a theory, then *lie* with statistics to support
their theory.

http://epaa.asu.edu/epaa/v4n20.html

The correlation between the AFQT scores and parental SES in the
NLSY data is .55. After reporting this correlation, H&M summarize:
"Being brought up in a conspicuously high-status or low-status family
from birth probably has a significant effect on IQ, independent of the
genetic endowment of the parent" (p. 589). Although the magnitude of
these effects or their explanation are debatable, the IQ scores used
in The Bell Curve to demonstrate the independent role of a cognitive
endowment are caused to an important degree by parent's SES. This
means, to rephrase H&M argument about ignoring years of education in
their regressions, that when IQ is used as an independent variable, it
is to some extent expressing the effects of SES in another form. Can
this be solved by the machinery of multiple regression? It is too
often believed that regression analysis provides the proper
statistical control, "accounting for" is the usual term, which
mathematically remedies the confounding of effects imposed by the
realities of the investigated phenomenon or by the study design. The
answer is an unequivocal "No." Neter, Wasserman, and Kutner (1990)
explain:

"Sometimes the standardized regression coefficients, b1 and
b2, are interpreted as showing that X1 has a greater impact on the
[outcome variable] than X2 because b1 is much larger than b2. However,
....one must be cautious about interpreting regression coefficients,
whether standardized or not. The reason is that when the independent
variables are correlated among themselves, as here, the regression
coefficients are affected by the other independent variables in the
model." (By a happy circumstance, the correlation alluded to in this
section is .569, almost exactly the correlation between IQ and SES!)
"Hence, it is ordinarily not wise to interpret the magnitudes of
standardized regression coefficients as reflecting the comparative
importance of the independent variables" (p.294).

For a detailed discussion of these issues, the reader is invited
to consult Chapter 13 of Mosteller & Tukey's Data Analysis and
Regression (1977). They masterfully demonstrate the problems of
interpreting regression coefficients, and sound very clear warnings
concerning the comparison of regression coefficients even for fully
deterministic systems under tight experimental control.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits