Baby not taking bottle

Old January 10th 08, 06:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

Default Baby not taking bottle

Well, I've been trying Katie with practice bottles of pumped milk every
so often. I gave her the first one a week and a half ago, when she was
five weeks old, and, although she wasn't too happy, she took it. I gave
her the second one a week ago, and she took that but was quite upset
about it, not helped by the fact that there were various things going on
- doorbell ringing in the middle of me feeding her, etc. - and the feed
kept getting interrupted and she was getting quite worked up, which I'm
worried may have given her an aversion to the whole business. Anyway, I
tried a third bottle yesterday, and she flat-out refused it. Tried
again today, and same thing.

Now, I know it's too early to get too worried about this, and there are
still loads of things I can try to persuade her to take it (I've been
Googling), but it's stressing me out like crazy, because if she doesn't
take a bottle easily then it's going to create huge problems. I have to
alternative ways of getting milk into her, but it's going to be a
horrendous pain for my husband if he has to cup-feed or syringe-feed her
everything, especially with a three-year-old running around knocking
cups over. Or if she's screaming her head off all day because she just
doesn't want to take a bottle when I'm gone. I've been reading Tracy
Hogg, who had some useful suggestions but also said that if you get a
baby to take a bottle after refusing it then you shouldn't breastfeed
them for the next 48 hours in case they refuse bottles again after going
back to the breast. Can't see myself pumping for that long!

Anyway - so I'm pretty worked up about all this and imagining all sorts
of worst-case scenarios. So if anyone has any tales of babies who
refused bottles for a while but eventually learned to transfer from
breast to bottle without problems, then I'd love the encouragement!

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Old January 10th 08, 07:08 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary W.

On Jan 10, 12:41 pm, Sarah Vaughan
wrote:
[...]

You might dig through the google archives of this groups for more
suggestions
but this is what I wrote to CJRA a while ago:

DD1 really didn't like the bottle. What worked for us
(to some extent) was using the playtex nurser bottle
with the disposable linings, so we could squeeze the
milk out into her mouth to get her started. Distracting
her while giving the bottle (this is where those baby
einstein videos came in handy). Actually, not holding
her worked best - DH or the nanny would prop her up
in her carseat, turn on the video and then sneak the
bottle to her.

Other things to try including varying the temperature
(quite a bit warmer than you'd think, or even try it cold),
covering her eyes with a burp cloth. Try when she's
hungry but not starved.

Once you find something that works (if you do), giving
a small bottle (1-2 ounces), topped off by nursing,
every day 5 times a week will keep her in practice.

DD1 never took more than 5-7 ounces while I was gone.
She reversed cycle nursed, which meant she nursed all
night long, but she didn't starve. Things improved when
we started solids and she got those from the nanny. If
there is anyway you can nurse her during the day that
might really help.

**********

Other standard advice is to try different nipples/bottles.
For some reason, they will sometimes prefer one over
the other. DD1 never took the Avent nipples, but that's
all we ever used for DD2. Also, DH should give the
bottle and you shouldn't be around. Make sure she
is hungry but not too hungry.

The best piece of advice (which I used with DD2 and
got from Nikki) was to give small frequent bottles
topped off by nursing (1-2 ounces, daily, at least
4-5 times a week). So when you find something
she likes, keep her in practice!

Hope this helps. Congratulations on your new baby!

Mary W.

Old January 11th 08, 11:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

Mary W. wrote:

DD1 really didn't like the bottle. What worked for us
(to some extent) was using the playtex nurser bottle
with the disposable linings, so we could squeeze the
milk out into her mouth to get her started. Distracting
her while giving the bottle (this is where those baby
einstein videos came in handy). Actually, not holding
her worked best - DH or the nanny would prop her up
in her carseat, turn on the video and then sneak the
bottle to her.

Other things to try including varying the temperature
(quite a bit warmer than you'd think, or even try it cold),
covering her eyes with a burp cloth. Try when she's
hungry but not starved.

[...]
Other standard advice is to try different nipples/bottles.
For some reason, they will sometimes prefer one over
the other. DD1 never took the Avent nipples, but that's
all we ever used for DD2. Also, DH should give the
bottle and you shouldn't be around. Make sure she
is hungry but not too hungry.

Oh, hooray! I got her to take a bottle today! What a relief!

What I tried: I used an Avent bottle and nipple this time, just because
that happened to be the only other kind I had around (I never used them
with Jamie - only reason I had them was because I got them free when I
bought the hand pump. Thank goodness I never got rid of them!) I tried
giving it just as she was starting to wake up from her afternoon nap,
hoping that this would mean she wouldn't be awake enough to object - I
didn't even unswaddle her or wait for her to wake up fully, just scooped
her up when she was still at a fairly early stage of the "I'm getting
hungry and starting to wake up" grunts. The other two things I tried,
having read elsewhere that they might help, was to run warm water over
the teat first to warm it up a bit, and to walk around with her while
giving the bottle.

Don't know which factor or combination of factors out of all this was
the bit that did the trick, but something did - she wasn't thrilled
about it, but she took it. Now I'll have to try really hard to pump
something for her every day for the next several days to make sure she
stays in practice this time! When she's taken a few, I'll get my
husband to start trying so that she gets used to taking them from him as
well.

Thanks so much for your help!

All the best,

Sarah

Old January 12th 08, 11:16 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

wrote:
[...]

I confess I don't remember whom all gave advice, so thanks Mary!

Dd had some bottles in NICU and when she came home at 3 weeks. She had
a major oral aversion and I was really concerned about the nursing so
focused on that and didn't try bottles again til about 6-7 weeks. It
was horrible. She refused, screaming like it was torture. We tried
every bottle out there, multiple people giving her a bottle without me
around and still it didn't work. I was frantic.

What finally worked was my not being around for 4+ hours... We used
the playtex drop ins on mary's Advice, so the babysitter could kind of
squirt the milk in. Also the first week of daycare I went to nurse her
at lunch so she didn't have to go too long. After about a week she
started sucking on the bottle. She never really took to bottles well
consistently (some days she'd down one other times she refused). She
never starved.

Interestingly, at 13 months she refused them entirely but by then she
was using a sippy (tho also refusing cow's milk). Oddly enough, at 17
months following an illness, she decided she liked milk but only in a
bottle or cup (no sippy).

I was a basket case those last weeks leading up to my return to work,
worried about the bottles.so much so that I really regret the time. I
wasted precious time with dd stressing.
Old January 14th 08, 02:15 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

We are a wholesaler of cheap Handbags Shoes Women's Shoes Men's Shoes
Buy one pair of shoes or two bags, free shipping!!
My Website: http://www.china-seller.com

Handbags-Chanel Handbags Chloe Handbags Coach Handbags Fendi Handbags
Wholesale cheap Gucci Handbags Hermes Handbags LV Handbags Miu Miu
Handbags wholesale cheap Prada Handbags Balenciaga Handbags cd
Handbags D&G Handbags Marc Jacobs Handbags
My Website: http://www.china-seller.com

Shoes-wholesale cheap Air Max Shoes,
Nike Air Max 90 Nike Air Max 95 Nike Air Max 97
Nike Air Max 2003 Nike Air Max 2004 Nike Air Max 2005
Nike Air Max 360 Nike Air Max LTD Nike Air Max TN
wholesale cheap Air Dunk Shoes,Women's Dunk Dunk SB,Dunk High Tops
wholesale cheap Nike Shox Shoes Nike Shox NZ/OZ Nike Shox R3/R4
wholesale cheap Nike Air Force Ones Air Force One Air Force One-1
25th anniversary
My Website: http://www.china-seller.com

wholesale cheap Nike Air Jordan,
Nike Air Jordan 1 Nike Air Jordan 2 Nike Air Jordan 3,
Nike Air Jordan 4 Nike Air Jordan 5 Nike Air Jordan 6
Nike Air Jordan 7 Nike Air Jordan 8 Nike Air Jordan 9
Nike Air Jordan 10 Nike Air Jordan 11 Nike Air Jordan 12
Nike Air Jordan 13 Nike Air Jordan 14 Nike Air Jordan 15
Nike Air Jordan 16 Nike Air Jordan 17 Nike Air Jordan 18
Nike Air Jordan 19 Nike Air Jordan 20 Nike Air Jordan 21 Nike Air
Jordan 22
My Website: http://www.china-seller.com

Adidas Shoes wholesale cheap Diesel Shoes Dsquared Shoes Bape
Shoes
Gucci Shoes wholesale cheap Puma Shoes wholesale cheap Prada
Shoes.Timberland Shoes

Buy one pair of shoes or two bags, free shipping!!
My Website: http://www.china-seller.com

My Website: http://www.china-seller.com
If you have any question, please contact us:
Skype: servicebuyer AIM: servicebuyer
MSN: Yahoo: