not saying own name

Old April 7th 05, 05:45 AM
electroscopillan

Default not saying own name

Sounds like your dd is doing awesomely for speech developement. My ds is
19mo, and nowhere near as verbose as your dd - nowhere near saying his own
name.. ..he doesn't get the "me/you" thing yet. From what I've read, you
haven't anything to worry about, but should be very proud of her for how
well she is doing. Sounds like a little smartcake. =)

(I came to this group because of worries about my son's speech, but I've
decided to relax and go with his flow - I'm still always encouraging and
challenging him with new words and concepts.. ..but I'm fine with him just
blowing me off to reach for my nose instead)

wrote in message
oups.com...
My daughter is 23 months and doesn't say her own name yet. I'm not at
all worried about it -- she is really very verbal (hundreds of words,
3-4 word sentences) and very self aware.

She refers to herself as "Me". As in, what is your name? Me.

She talks about the people in our family -- whose chair his whose,
whose hat is whose, etc, as "Mommy's chair, Daddy's chair, sister's
name chair, Me chair"

How common is it for a verbal child to not say their own name, ever, at
this age? Does it depend on how hard it is to pronounce the name? Her's
is kind of hard (starts with H, has a th in the middle).

Just curious

Jan

Old April 7th 05, 03:14 PM
enigma

"electroscopillan" wrote in
:

Sounds like your dd is doing awesomely for speech
developement. My ds is 19mo, and nowhere near as verbose as
your dd - nowhere near saying his own name.. ..he doesn't get
the "me/you" thing yet. From what I've read, you haven't
anything to worry about, but should be very proud of her for
how well she is doing. Sounds like a little smartcake. =)

(I came to this group because of worries about my son's
speech, but I've decided to relax and go with his flow - I'm
still always encouraging and challenging him with new words
and concepts.. ..but I'm fine with him just blowing me off to
reach for my nose instead)

the me/you thing tends to be used interchangably up to 3-4
years old.
let's see, my son was non-verbal at 24 months, started
occupational therapy at 26 months & was talking in sentances in
3 weeks. hasn't shut up since... but anyway, he didn't use his
name referring to himself until around 3 (& he mostly uses his
nickname of Boo rather than his given name). he also didn't call
me 'mommy' until around the same time, because 'lee' is much
easier to say.
he does still have some big pronunciation issues, & i don't see
that speech therapy is doing anything to change that. i don't
think the speech pathologist is very good...
lee i understand him & his teachers understand him anyway