DSS in MA threatens family who won't take standardized tests

Old June 30th 03, 04:18 PM
Fern5827

Default DSS in MA threatens family who won't take standardized tests

Subject: MA family, DSS & refusal to take tests-DSS may foster kids
From: (Fern5827)
Date: 6/30/2003 9:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time
.....Geee....what a rumpus over a standardized test.

Family's story goes national

By Melissa Beecher / News Staff Writer
Friday, June 20, 2003

WALTHAM -- A media blitz has taken the story of the Bryant family's six-year
plight to home school their children on their own terms to a national audience,
much to the chagrin of state and local officials.

Readers, viewers and reporters from across the country have jammed the phone
lines and e-mail accounts of the Waltham School Department, the Department of
Social Services and the Bryant home, attempting to gain perspective or voice
opinions on the events of last week.

"Our phone has been ringing nonstop," said Kim Bryant, mother of George, 15,
and Nyssa, 13. The two home-schooled children refused to take a standardized
test ordered by DSS, despite threats to place them in a foster home.

"There has never been this much attention given to our case. We are glad, but
hope that we are not forgotten as time goes on," said Bryant. "We are
continuing to wait and see what is going to happen."

The Bryants continue to wait for a court date in Framingham Juvenile Court to
determine what will happen to the family. DSS Director Kenneth Pontes has told
the family the children will not be removed from their custody.

DSS spokesman Denise Montero said her office also has received between 200 and
250 calls each day, including threats against Susan Etscovitz, the supervisor
who was involved in the case.

"There have been calls from all over the country, threatening Susan's life and
children. We have had to change her phone number and not allow her to check her
e-mail account," said Montero.

Etscovitz also has received calls at her home threatening harm against her and
her family, DSS officials said.

"There has been a firestorm created across the country because of one statement
she made. A hell of a lot more was said that day, and the focus has been on
that one statement," said Montero.

Montero said Etscovitz never denied making the statement that "We (DSS) have
legal custody of the children and we will do with them as we see fit," but she
does regret making it.

"Things have gotten out of control. Everyone agrees that this is a fight
between the school, courts and the Bryants. It seems that everyone has been
backed into a corner," said Montero.

"The ultra-conservatives and Bible-thumpers have inundated us with threats and
phone calls. No one deserves to be threatened," said Montero.

Web sites, newspapers and TV stations across the country have begun running the
story that first appeared in the News on June 13, although it has been covered
locally for the entire six-year ordeal.

From FOX's "The O'Reilly Factor" to MSNBC's "Buchanan & Press," the Bryants
have been seen and heard on airwaves across the country.

"This has been quite an experience for our family," said Kim Bryant. "We have
gotten a tremendous amount of support from home-schoolers across the country.
And the media coverage has been constant."

Chuck Muth, a self-proclaimed conservative and CEO of Citizen Outreach in
Baltimore, Md., said his outrage fueled articles that appeared on his Web site,
www.chuckmuth.com.

"I was so outraged at the attitude of the DSS woman. Her comments that 'we
decided what the children need, not you,' was a blatant abuse by a government
official," Muth said yesterday.

"People are going to call the Bryants cranks, radicals and extremists. Of
course if those same people met the founding fathers, I am sure they would call
them extreme as well," said Muth.

Others, like Donna De Poalo, publisher of www.Educationalfreedom.com, said
rebellious parents will always grab headlines.

"Testing is a hot topic, whether we are talking about home-schooling or not,"
said De Poalo. "I think that a lot of people in the country are surprised when
a parent is willing to take a stand."

"Parents, especially home-school parents, are afraid to say no to school
committees. They fear that DSS will come in and take away their kids. This hit
a nerve because it is about parental responsibility and educational choice,"
said De Poalo.

De Poalo and her Web site have followed the Bryants through their years of
home-schooling, legal battles and court decisions.

Old June 30th 03, 10:17 PM
LaVonne Carlson

More issues relevant to alt.parenting.spanking?.

It seems to me that this article would be appropriate on the CPS ng, the
homeschooling ng, and the education ng that discusses standardized testing, a hot
topic right now. It may even be welcome on misc.kids. But what in the world does
it have to do with spanking?!?!?!?

LaVonne

From: (Fern5827)
Date: 6/30/2003 9:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Old July 1st 03, 05:31 AM
Doan

What a hypocrite! This is from a LaVonne who just posted a story about
a 4 years old under CPS care who costs "lot of taxpayers' money" because
the teacher is a 3 years old! ;-)

Doan

From: (Fern5827)
Date: 6/30/2003 9:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Old July 2nd 03, 12:41 AM
LaVonne Carlson

Ever notice how Fern hasn't the guts to respond to my posts, but generally relies on
you to do this for her?

LaVonne

From: (Fern5827)
Date: 6/30/2003 9:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time

From: (Fern5827)
Date: 6/30/2003 9:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Old July 2nd 03, 01:41 AM
Fern5827

La Loon, who hasn't posted a factual article, to my knowledge.

I, Otoh, post scholarly cites, and cites, interesting stats and news articles
while La Vonnne endlessly quotes the same rhetorical rants.....

QUELLE BORE, MADAM.....QUELLE BORE.

Your posts inspire zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz in me.

Can you endlessly bore your students the same way?? Gad, someone must remind
her that when you can predict in advance what someone will say there are
SERIOUS ISSUES with the content of that conversation.

You're like a broken record.........
Old July 2nd 03, 06:46 AM
Doan

Take my challenge, LaVonne. Rewrite the typos and see if your post make
any sense. C'mon, LaVonne. Put up or shut up! ;-)

Doan

From: (Fern5827)
Date: 6/30/2003 9:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time

From: (Fern5827)