Changing Recess and Lunch

Old June 3rd 05, 11:23 PM
Scott

Robyn Kozierok wrote:
In article ,
Carol Hulls wrote:

Hello,

Our school board seems to be changing from a schedule of 15 minute
morning and afternoon recess plus 60 minute (30 minutes eating + 30
minutes outside for kids who stay at school) to one of two 40 minute
"nutrition breaks" (20 minutes eating + 20 minutes outside).

This is rather orthogonal to your original question, so I've changed
the subject line. I remember having a schedule like the one you
described when I was in school, both in Massachusetts and Ontario.
My kids have never had "recess" except for after lunch. And I have
to admit that as much as the kids might benefit from running around,
I can't imagine how folks handle the overhead of winter gear in the
space of a 15-minute recess! Since you're posting from Waterloo (I'm
an alum), I assume you are in a cold-winter climate, so I wonder if
you or others in a similar situation know how they handle the logistics
of that? (I'm thinking of the K-3 range where the break and movement
seem most important, but where dressing for winter play takes the
longest.)

I know we did it when we were kids, but I don't know how ;-)

--Robyn
.

DS and DD had recess in their K-2 school in morning and in
afternoon, and yes, it did mean putting snowpants/boots/hats/
gloves/scarves on. The kids by 2nd grade were remarkably
efficient. I think, though, that very cold weather (wind
chills below zero) relegated them to the gym. That's maybe
5 or 10 days a winter here, usually in a cluster.

In the 3-5 school ds is now in, I believe the recess is just
at lunch.

Scott

Old June 4th 05, 01:43 AM
Jeff

"Robyn Kozierok" wrote in message
In article ,
Carol Hulls wrote:
[...]

when I was in school years ago, we had morning and afternoon recess. We went
out in the winter unless it was raining or very cold (like below -15 C [5
F]). It probably took about 5 minutes to get dressed and 5 minutes to get
undressed. In the rain or very cold, we would play games or something inside
the classroom (i don't really remember exactly what we did).

This was in Moscow, Pennsylvania where most winter days stayed above -10 C
(15 F)and the summer gets up to around 40 C (100 F).

Jeff

Old June 4th 05, 02:18 AM
Nikki

Robyn Kozierok wrote:

I assume you are in a cold-winter climate, so I wonder if
you or others in a similar situation know how they handle the
logistics of that?

I live in South Dakota and my son has two 15 minute recesses and one right
after lunch. They get all their gear on and go outside each time. I've not
been there for that process so I don't know how long it takes. Lunch and
recess is only 35 minutes so they wear their winter gear *to* lunch and
while they sit and eat which is seems like a terrible way to eat to me.
Hunter's coat shows the wear too.

--
Nikki (I've been lurking forever and accidently posted the other day so I
guess I'll just keep on going! Luke is 4, Hunter is 6).

Old June 4th 05, 02:58 AM
Carol Hulls

In article ,
Robyn Kozierok wrote:
My kids have never had "recess" except for after lunch. And I have
to admit that as much as the kids might benefit from running around,
I can't imagine how folks handle the overhead of winter gear in the
space of a 15-minute recess! Since you're posting from Waterloo (I'm
an alum), I assume you are in a cold-winter climate, so I wonder if
you or others in a similar situation know how they handle the logistics
of that? (I'm thinking of the K-3 range where the break and movement
seem most important, but where dressing for winter play takes the
longest.)

For JK (mostly age 4) and SK (mostly age 5) there isn't a real
recess during the winter. Rather the kids play outside at the
beginning or end of their time at school. Since they only attend for
half days anyhow it isn't really an issue and has the advantage that
they aren't competing for space in the schoolyard. In my experience,
for the kindergarten kids helping with the winter stuff often becomes
the job of the parent volunteer for that day.

Once kids reach grade 1, then they have to handle their winter
clothing themselves. From what I've seen while visiting my kids'
school, there is usually a bit of extra time given in the winter so 15
minutes of recess often takes about 20. There also seems to be a real
spirit of cheery cooperation amongst the kids - maybe it is because
recess is generally a happy time. I'll admit though that DS spent
part of his year in grade one wearing his snow pants in class since he
decided it was easier than taking them on and off. He used to wear
shorts underneath to even things out. A wise parent is careful about
what to pick for winter clothing, much the same as you would think
about buttons and zippers for regular clothing. With snow/cold for
five months of the year (although this year we had snow in May - ugh)
the kids get enough practice that they are really quite fast.

Carol Hulls

Incidentally, I had a Kozierock in my undergrad class at Waterloo (I've
never managed to leave) - BASc '89 - so maybe I've met a relative.

Old June 4th 05, 03:36 AM
Robyn Kozierok

In article .net,
Jeff wrote:

when I was in school years ago, we had morning and afternoon recess. We went
out in the winter unless it was raining or very cold (like below -15 C [5
F]). It probably took about 5 minutes to get dressed and 5 minutes to get
undressed.

So, if you had a 15-minute recess, wouldn't this just mean 5 minutes
outside? Or did your dressing/undressing time come before and after the
official recess time? Or, was recess longer?

--Robyn
..

Old June 4th 05, 04:34 AM
Jeff

Jeff wrote:

when I was in school years ago, we had morning and afternoon recess. We
went
out in the winter unless it was raining or very cold (like below -15 C [5
F]). It probably took about 5 minutes to get dressed and 5 minutes to get
undressed.

So, if you had a 15-minute recess, wouldn't this just mean 5 minutes
outside? Or did your dressing/undressing time come before and after the
official recess time? Or, was recess longer?

The 15 minutes was the time outside. Getting dressed and undressed was
additional.

Jeff

--Robyn
.

Old June 4th 05, 05:48 PM
Chris

Our school has only 1 30 minute recess period a day which may be
directly before or after lunch, or later. We don't get the bitter cold
of some areas, but we do have lots of snow, so snow pants, boots, etc
are a necessity from about November through March--or longer. The
kids, even in K, are quite adept at getting in and out of their stuff.
There is some extra time alloted, maybe 5 minutes, but I'm always
amazed when I'm done there at recess or end of the day at how well kids
are able to manage this equipment!

Chris

Old June 4th 05, 08:46 PM
dragonlady

In article .net,
"Jeff" wrote:

when I was in school years ago, we had morning and afternoon recess. We went
out in the winter unless it was raining or very cold (like below -15 C [5
F]). It probably took about 5 minutes to get dressed and 5 minutes to get
undressed. In the rain or very cold, we would play games or something inside
the classroom (i don't really remember exactly what we did).

This was in Moscow, Pennsylvania where most winter days stayed above -10 C
(15 F)and the summer gets up to around 40 C (100 F).

Jeff

I grew up in Superior, Wis, and when the weather was too nasty to go
outside (and it had to be pretty bad before they'd decide we shouldn't
go out!) they'd send us to the gym to run around. It doubled as the
cafeteria, so our lunch breaks were sometimes a little weird, but it
worked out.