What's the impact of dressing our children as adults?

Old June 14th 06, 09:46 PM posted to misc.kids

Default What's the impact of dressing our children as adults?

On 14 Jun 2006 13:35:15 -0700, wrote:
Dragonlady,
I'm talking about adult clothing (originally made for adults) but
miniturized.

Like, for example, having 8 year olds wear little pants with the word
"cutie" on the butt. They were originally made for adults and college
students. Now, kids as small as 6 can wear things that bring attention
to their fanny.

Of course, children's clothing is influenced by fashion. But to the
extent where children are no longer wearing uniquely childish clothing
(mary janes and tights) and more "fashionable" clothing (like that
found at LimitedToo), I am concerned.

I'm concerned both because clothing manufacturers are making
them....parents are putting them on their kids (and calling it
cute)...kids want to be teenagers in kindergarten...and advertisers are
using adult-looking children to sell their products (see Kenneth Cole's
Reaction ads).

Any thoughts?

What do you expect - that you'll actually find people here who think
that slutty clothes are acceptable on a kid?

The vast majority of kids that I see in my area dress in a reasonably
conservative fashion. The worst is usually an ill-chosen word or
advertising image. That tells me that the parents who *do* allow their
kids to dress in slutware are few, and far between, and probably as dumb
as a box of rocks, in which case any discussion is moot.

But, I suspect that 99% of the people here knew that already, and
trying to start a conversation about it is about as productive
as a conversation about whether water is wet, and how we feel about
it.

- Rich

Old June 14th 06, 09:54 PM posted to misc.kids

In article . com,
" wrote:

[...]

I don't consider shorts with "cutie" on the butt "adult" clothing -- I
consider it adolescent clothing, and don't think it's appropriate for
anyone.

Actually, leggings and Mary Janes are clothing *I* would wear, and I'm
an adult. In my case, they're called "nylons". but I like Mary Janes
for dress up shoes (I don't wear high heals). I therefore consider them
to be miniature adult dress-up clothing.

And I think I was pretty clear: the problem is NOT with children
wearing "adult" clothing, it is with children wearing the sort of highly
sexualized clothing that I don't think is appropriate for anyone.

I don't think you want to talk about children wearing "adult" fashions
-- I think you want to talk about children wearing highly sexualized
clothing.

And if you review a history of this newsgroup, you'll find parnts
kvetching about how hard it can be to find inexpensive children's
clothing that doesn't provide free advertising for someone, AND that is
not inappropriate.

Old June 14th 06, 09:54 PM posted to misc.kids

See, that's the whole point! It's not socially normal to put our kids
in slutty clothes. You're right, who would agree with that?

But that's my point...look around at what normal middle class in
loving-family children wear. What is socially normal for children
these days is to wear a mimick of their parents (particularly girls).
However, if one was to take a closer look at those clothes, one might
see that they are actually inappropriate for the child's age.

That's why I put pictures up at http://redeemingchildhood.blogspot.com
for people to see. If you look at those pictures, you will not see
little girls in slutty clothes. None of those girls are wearing
anything a normal person would consider is "slutty" or "sexy".
However, it's the nuisances of the advertisements and adult-like
clothing that brings me to the point of concern.

I think your laisse-faire attitude towards this issue is exactly what
I'm hoping to bring some attention to. Look at the little girls around
you, notice their clothing. It's it appropriate to make a 3 year old
look like a teenager? Believe it or not, we, as a society, think it's
not only okay but innocent and cute.

Old June 14th 06, 09:57 PM posted to misc.kids

On 14 Jun 2006 13:54:20 -0700, wrote:

As it's become quite clear that you're really just interested in promoting
your website full of pictures of inappropriately dressed girls, I think I'll
bow out now.

- Rich

Old June 14th 06, 09:57 PM posted to misc.kids

In article . com,
" wrote:

Like, for example, having 8 year olds wear little pants with the word
"cutie" on the butt. They were originally made for adults and college
students. Now, kids as small as 6 can wear things that bring attention
to their fanny.

I want to take one thing back: I think "cutie" on the diaper-covered
butt of an 8 month old is entirely appropriate. (Or "princess" lots of
other things that are appropropriate for baby wear.) Just not past the
diaper age.

Old June 14th 06, 10:01 PM posted to misc.kids

In article .com,
" wrote:

[...]

I DO look at the children around me.

I don't see very many dressed inappropriately. Some, to be sure, but
most are dressed in clothing that I consider entirely appropriate for
children.

I have no interest in looking at your website, since it is obviously
full of photos of children dressed inappropriately. But "examples" are
not data.

Old June 14th 06, 10:09 PM posted to misc.kids

Forget the website. Geesh. Sorry if anybody thinks I'm trying to
promote it. And, heaven forbid that I look like I'm actually promoting
the inapprorpiateness of children. Oh my goodnes.

Dragonlady,
I respect your opinion that there is nothing wrong with what children
wear. It's just something I've noticed and am concerned about. That's
all. It's worth discussing and thinking about when one looks at ads
including children - or when young children want to dress up like
little teenagers.

Old June 14th 06, 10:17 PM posted to misc.kids

In article .com,
says...

See, that's the whole point! It's not socially normal to put our kids
in slutty clothes. You're right, who would agree with that?

But that's my point...look around at what normal middle class in
loving-family children wear. What is socially normal for children
these days is to wear a mimick of their parents (particularly girls).
However, if one was to take a closer look at those clothes, one might
see that they are actually inappropriate for the child's age.

That's why I put pictures up at

(ed. your website)

for people to see. If you look at those pictures, you will not see
little girls in slutty clothes. None of those girls are wearing
anything a normal person would consider is "slutty" or "sexy".
However, it's the nuisances of the advertisements and adult-like
clothing that brings me to the point of concern.

If you want to be taken seriously, you need to present yourself differently.
Your blog looks like, and that's assuming it isn't, a kid soft porn site.
Pictures front and center - no need to click.

We get a lot of surreptitious stuff where folks try to draw attention to their
images, or want to get discussion going on various fetishes to help them with
their mental imagery.

Now mostly they go away; you're staying around, but you still are being really,
really kind, shall we say, to those who are casting about the web and Usenet for
odd stuff to satisfy their peculiar desires.

And your site is all about pictures, not so much about discussion, and frankly,
you're having some trouble formulating your questions and concerns.

I still dont' know if you mean the slut look or plain ol' dresssing kids up in
their Sunday best or letting them have a go at a junior high dance. And you
sure do re-post your link a lot. You didn't say "my website" - you went and
reposted the link.

I know you the same way I know about certain ex-Heisman trophy winner by how he
just doesnt' seem to be nearly as upset that some stranger broke in and kileed
his wife as someone really in that position would be.

You're not ACTING on the up and up, as clever as you're trying to get this going
- you AREN'T legit.

If you're legit and just want discussion - PROVE IT. Take the pictures off the
main site of your blog.

Banty

Old June 14th 06, 10:33 PM posted to misc.kids

wrote in message
ups.com...
My question is to start a conversation about the impact of dressing
kids like adults. I have really been hit hard in my conviction about
how we dress kids in adult-like outfits but are outraged over
pediphilia.

Then I think you need to reframe your question. I am an adult and I do not
often dress provocatively. Many adults do not dress provocatively.
Perhaps, though, that is the word you are looking for, not 'adults'.

-Aula

Old June 14th 06, 10:44 PM posted to misc.kids

Banty wrote:
In article .com,
says...

[...]

Paging Humbert Humbert, paging Humbert Humbert....

Caledonia