contact with TB

Old September 15th 03, 05:28 PM
daye

Default contact with TB

My daughter is 4 months, and we are looking for a babysitter. One lady came
to us. She told us she had TB 2 years ago, but now she's fully recovered.
Is that a threat to my baby's health? Thank you very much for any
information.

-daye

Old September 16th 03, 01:06 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"daye" wrote:

My daughter is 4 months, and we are looking for a babysitter. One lady came
to us. She told us she had TB 2 years ago, but now she's fully recovered.
Is that a threat to my baby's health?

If she has been declared healed by the health department, she's
OK. Ask for a medical statement.

The worst TB carrires are the oines that don't know t=ey have it.

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like
politicians invoking morality and children - grab your wallet and/or
Old September 16th 03, 10:17 PM
daye

Thank you, one of my friend said so too. However, another friend said any
lung disease would actually last for life time. He said once you were
caught with TB, you would be positive forever. Is that true? Thanks.

-daye

Old September 17th 03, 01:46 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"daye" wrote:

Thank you, one of my friend said so too. However, another friend said any
lung disease would actually last for life time.
He said once you were caught with TB, you would be positive forever.
Is that true?

The skin test remains positive for years, long after the last
bacteria has died. But you aren't infectious.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Old September 18th 03, 12:30 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"daye" wrote:

Then why the skin test remains positive? I know little medicine.

Because the body continues to make antibodies (protective
proteins) against bacteria or viruses that have invaded it long
after they are gone. If they show up again, it has a better
chance of defeating them.

It's the same mechanism that makes you immune to some diseases,
such as measles, after recovering from them. The antibodies
usually take care of the next infection before you notice it.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Old September 18th 03, 02:44 AM
CBI

"daye" wrote in message
Thank you, one of my friend said so too. However, another friend said any
lung disease would actually last for life time. He said once you were
caught with TB, you would be positive forever. Is that true? Thanks.

Once the skin test for TB (PPD) is possitive it will be possitive for ever
and so should not be repeated. If the TB is adequately treated it should be
gone.

--
CBI, MD