Talent Show

Old December 9th 04, 12:06 PM
Elizabeth King

Default Talent Show

This is sort of a grumbly vent.

My daughter's school has a yearly talent show-- actually, 2 since so
many students (about 1/2 the school) participate in some way or another.

In Kindergarten last year, most of my daughter's class sang and acted
out a song together. They were very cute :-).

This year, it doesn't look like there will be a class act. My daughter
wants to do an act with some of her friends, which is great.

My daughter has a talent appropriate for the talent show, which is
gymnastics. She is quite good for a 6 year old-- not Olympic track by
any means, but good.

She and a couple of friends have decided that while one of them plays
"Mary had a Little Lamb" on the piano, my daughter and the other girl
will sing.

Singing is not one of my daughter's strengths. They will be cute.
Getting up on stage will be a good experience for her, whatever she is
doing. There is no way she'd get up there by herself. The kids are
supposed to be working this out themselves, and they are actually doing
that. I'm proud of her (and them) for that, and for being willing to
put themselves out there.

Nothing is final yet. I'm trying to restrain myself from making too
many suggestions.

I'm being supportive of whatever she decides to do. But darn it, I'm
disappointed that she's passing up this chance to really shine.

Liz

Old December 9th 04, 01:39 PM
Banty

In article , Elizabeth King says...

[...]

Well, turn things on end and consider it that way.

What if your daughter *did* do the gymnastics in this little presentation with
her friends? What would *they* be doing? It would be kind of awkward,
especially for kids that age, to come up with some way to integrate it with
their talents. And, from what you say, she would likely outshine *them*.

I think that to show off her talents, she'll probably need to do that solo,
sometime in the future. In the meantime, this experience, as you acknowlegde,
will help her to get up on stage and get used to that experience. And she's had
a good experience with team planning.

And hardly anyone that age sings that great anyway ;-)

Cheers,
Banty

Old December 9th 04, 06:54 PM
Cathy Kearns

Don't worry, with a first grader you have many, many talent
shows ahead of you. My kids' elementary school has a
similar talent show. My kids (and by extension, I) have
been involved in eight of these extravaganzas, and over
the years have figured out a few salient points on how to
make an entertaining act. (Which means someone other
than the parents of the children involved enjoy the act.
We assume, as parents, you will love anything your child
does on the stage...) We have enought gymnasts to field
an entire act where the stage is matted and gymnasts do
their thing. Our gymnasts range from those who take lessons
once a week to those who have won National Titles.
Unfortunately, stages with mats are not balance beams or
even as bouncy as the floor where floor exercises are done
in a gym. Moves done on the floor are often not visible to
most the audience. Girls who fly in gyms don't bounce as
high on stage, and don't have near the take-off room. And
some theatres or talent show producer moms really try and
tone down any aerial moves as they aren't comfortable with
the venue. In general the gym scenes don't showcase the
gymnasts the way you would expect. If you were hoping
your daughter would shine you may be disappointed.

On the bright side, your daughter's singing act does have
many of the features that make an act shine. At that age,
cute has more going for it than you would believe. Multiple
kids singing (or dancing, or tumbling) is always more
interesting than solo performance. Having two different
talents in one act (singing and piano playing) versus just
singing, or just piano playing, also draws the crowd in.
And performing with friends is fun!

I know it's frustrating when you know your child is
ultra talented in one area and can't show it off. One
of my daughter's friends was an extremely good
equestrian. Well, no way to bring a horse on that
stage, and it pained her to no end to see her singing,
dancing friends get to show off their hard work while
she didn't. But that's show business.

Old December 12th 04, 04:46 PM
downsized diva

Somehow I just can't get past the fact that you sound like one of those
stage moms. It's her moment to shine however *she* wants to.

There will be other times, I'm sure.

Theresa

Old December 31st 04, 08:33 PM
Laura Brooks

Singing is not one of my daughter's strengths. They will be cute.
Getting up on stage will be a good experience for her, whatever she is

I'm being supportive of whatever she decides to do. But darn it, I'm
disappointed that she's passing up this chance to really shine.

I know how you feel - my daughter is really good at jumping rope. But last
year (she was in 3rd grade) when the variety show came up, she chose to do
it with two of her friends, doing a little dance number that they put
together themselves. They were really cute and they had a blast planning
and doing it together. This year, though (the 4th & 5th graders do theirs
in the spring), I think she wants to do the jumprope thing by herself.
Maybe your daughter just needs to get a little older and more confident.

Just gotta brag about my 7 year old son, though. The 2nd and 3rd grade
variety show was last month. He really wanted to be in it, but didn't know
what to do. So he decided to tell jokes. I really expected that he would
get up there and stand like a deer in the headlights, mumble something
unintelligible and then leave. Instead he RAN to the mike, shouted "Hello,
ladies & gentlemen! Are you ready for some JOKES?" and then proceeded to
shout out 3 or 4 jokes that got really big laughs, then took a bow and ran
back to his seat. He was adorable! Not that I'm biased or anything. ;-)

Laura

Men's Rights Radio Show Comes to New York, Boston Dusty Child Support 0 September 16th 04 01:29 AM
C-sec/BPI birth trauma: MOTHERS to show juries? Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 March 12th 04 10:53 PM
Kids should work... Doan Spanking 33 December 10th 03 09:05 PM
Kids should work... Doan Foster Parents 31 December 7th 03 04:01 AM
spotting/bloody show? Plissken Pregnancy 2 July 16th 03 05:49 AM