Not feeding that much

Old October 21st 05, 02:37 PM
Jake Mysterio

Default Not feeding that much

DD2 who is 4 months old, has reduced her feeds. She was having 5-6feeds a
day and is now usually only having 4. I dont feel this is enough but she is
not interested any other time, she is gaining normally has plenty wet
nappies etc etc. She just seems too young to only have 4 feeds. She has
always slept through the night. She sleeps from 6.30pm-6.30am Feeds 6.30am,
9.30am, 2pm, 6pm obvoiously these are just averages of when she feeds but
you get the idea, I demand feed, although I have been known to wake her
cause she just seems to go too long. Each feed lasts around 30-40mins which
is longer than when she was newborn(they lasted 15mins tops then). Is it ok
for a baby to be only having this few a feeds??? She is exclusively
Breastfed, although she does have EBM in a bottle as well (about 20mls
3times a day) as she has to have medication for epilepsy which i mix with
milk to make it less stressful for her. Thanks in advance

Cheri

Old October 21st 05, 05:02 PM
Jess

"Jake Mysterio" wrote in message
DD2 who is 4 months old, has reduced her feeds. She was having 5-6feeds a
day and is now usually only having 4.
although she does have EBM in a bottle as well (about 20mls 3times a day)
as she has to have medication for epilepsy which i mix with milk to make it
less stressful for her. Thanks in advance

Maybe I'm still incoherent, but four nursing sessions a day *and* three
bottles a day?

Jess

Old October 21st 05, 05:25 PM
Sue

Perhaps the baby is getting more efficient at the breast. But, if she is
taking three bottles extra a day and feeding at the breast for 30-40
minutes, maybe that is all she needs.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 21st 05, 06:34 PM
Lara

Sue wrote:

Perhaps the baby is getting more efficient at the breast. But, if she is
taking three bottles extra a day and feeding at the breast for 30-40
minutes, maybe that is all she needs.

20 ml isn't what most people would call a "feed" for a four month old -
it's only two thirds of an ounce.

Lara
Old October 21st 05, 08:48 PM
A&G&K&H

"Jess" wrote in message

"Jake Mysterio" wrote in message
DD2 who is 4 months old, has reduced her feeds. She was having 5-6feeds

day and is now usually only having 4.
although she does have EBM in a bottle as well (about 20mls 3times a day)
as she has to have medication for epilepsy which i mix with milk to make

it
less stressful for her. Thanks in advance

Maybe I'm still incoherent, but four nursing sessions a day *and* three
bottles a day?

20 mls is next to nothing ... just to make the meds taste a little better.

Old October 21st 05, 11:42 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi --

The rule of thumb is to look at outputs, not inputs. If your baby is
wetting plenty of diapers, pooping sufficiently, gaining weight
appropriately and developing normally, then she's nursing enough.

Some babies are efficient nursers, that's all.

Now, if there's anything ELSE that's troubling you, then definitely look
into it. But if it's just the frequency with which your baby nurses,
well, relax.

My two cents,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.