How Long

Old October 25th 05, 12:23 AM
shannon.stewart

Default How Long

My baby is 3.5 weeks old and I was wondering how long my baby should be
feeding from me? I know it can depend, but how do I know he is eating
enough each time?

TIA

Shannon

Old October 25th 05, 12:50 AM
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Don't worry about how long it takes your baby to eat at each feeding.
Some infants are efficient eaters, some are slow, and it makes no
difference in the long run. (Most become more efficient over time, by
the way.) What DOES matter is that you keep an eye on the soaking-wet
and poopy diapers. Your baby should be soaking 6-8 diapers every 24
hours.

Some babies like to suck even after they finish eating. If that's the
case with yours, and if it bothers you, keep alert for the sounds of
swallowing. If the baby's not swallowing then the baby's not eating any
longer. (Although mine liked to eat, rest a minute or two, and then
continue eating.)

How long should your baby continue to nurse? As long as it's mutual
satisfactory. Commit to six months if you can, and hope that its lasts
for 12 months or longer. The strictly nutritional benefits continue
until the baby is eating a healthy, varied diet of solids. The immune
benefits to the baby, and the cancer-preventative benefits to mom,
continue up to about 5 years of age.

Congratulations on your new arrival!
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old October 25th 05, 03:23 PM
Nikki

shannon.stewart wrote:
My baby is 3.5 weeks old and I was wondering how long my baby should
be feeding from me? I know it can depend, but how do I know he is
eating enough each time?

He is getting enough if he has 6-8 wet diapers a day, gains weight, has
alert spells during the day, and seems content and satisfied after a feed.
the length of each individual nursing session doesn't mean much because each
baby is so different.
--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99