Solids and stinky poo question

Old December 10th 05, 07:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Solids and stinky poo question

Ok.....DS is 6 months and a few days old and I am thinking of starting
him on solids.....is there any specific no-no about introducing him to
table food (little bit of rice, potatoes, etc) instead of going
through the cereal, fruit, veggies route?
I did the one food per week with Deirdre but she was bored to death
and by the end of each week she wouldn't be happily taking new foods.
And where I come from babies go straight to mashed table foods instead
of the boring rice cereal with bm....
Also.....Liam has had some very stinky poo from time to time in the
last 2-3 months....I don't drink milk often neither have lots of
dairy.....could the stinky poo be allergy or virus related?
Has anybody dealt with environmental mold issues here?

Thanks,

FayeC
Old December 11th 05, 08:31 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I tried to start my daughter on the cereals and regular baby foods at
6 months, but she wanted nothing to do with the spoon.

What I started doing was changing my diet, so that whatever I was
eating, there was a part of it she could have. Her first food ended up
being sweet potatoes (unsweetened and all, of course) but now that
she's ten months, we've gone through most of the foods that are okay
for her before one year.

But that was easy with my daughter, because she was crawling and ready
for finger foods by the six month mark. YMMV! )

Old December 12th 05, 03:23 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Ok.....DS is 6 months and a few days old and I am thinking of starting

him on solids.....is there any specific no-no about introducing him to
table food (little bit of rice, potatoes, etc) instead of going
through the cereal, fruit, veggies route?"

We just fed bits of soft foods to our babies, whatever we were eating.
I've never gone the cereal route, simply because my kids didn't seem to
like rice cereal. Applesauce, yogurt, bits of banana. I do buy the
jarred baby foods to fill in the spots. Then when they got a little
older, 8 months or so, I'd feed them strings of chicken, well-cooked
rice, cheerios, soft bits of pancake or bread. I never followed a
pattern of what to offer, but then, I know that if your family has a
history of allergy or excema, then you do have to be careful in what
you offer.

Stasya

Old December 12th 05, 06:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"FayeC" wrote in message
news
Ok.....DS is 6 months and a few days old and I am thinking of starting
him on solids.....is there any specific no-no about introducing him to
table food (little bit of rice, potatoes, etc) instead of going
through the cereal, fruit, veggies route?

I see no reason why not. I would suggest one new food every few days, and
avoid the big no-no's for this age like peanuts, egg, fish and milk. I also
delayed wheat and dairy for about the first year, because I discovered a
family history of allergy. Food at this age is really just practice, but if
he's eager I don't see why you can't start with soft finger foods.

I did the one food per week with Deirdre but she was bored to death
and by the end of each week she wouldn't be happily taking new foods.
And where I come from babies go straight to mashed table foods instead
of the boring rice cereal with bm....

I agree, we never did rice cereal either.

Also.....Liam has had some very stinky poo from time to time in the
last 2-3 months....I don't drink milk often neither have lots of
dairy.....could the stinky poo be allergy or virus related?

Is it a dark colour and a fudgy consistency? DD's poo changed to that about
3-4 months of age. At the same time, her urine took on more of an adult
odour - until then, her urine had smelled almost sweet to odourless. I think
she had begun to use the breastmilk more efficiently, and considered it
completely normal.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old December 12th 05, 02:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

FayeC wrote:
Ok.....DS is 6 months and a few days old and I am thinking of starting
him on solids.....is there any specific no-no about introducing him to
table food (little bit of rice, potatoes, etc) instead of going
through the cereal, fruit, veggies route?

I don't think so. We went straight to table food with Hunter but he was
10mos. I started Luke at 6mos. I sent jars of food to the sitter but he
ate table food at home. We skipped the cereal with both of them.

Liam has had some very stinky poo from time to time in the
last 2-3 months....I don't drink milk often neither have lots of
dairy.....could the stinky poo be allergy or virus related?

Hunter's diapers smelled *bad*. He has no food allergies or sensitivities
at all. He's allergic to penicillin and nothing else AFAIK. If he had a
cold or virus his poo would smell sour as well as bad :-) It would often be
a bit green or mucousy as well.

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old December 12th 05, 05:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Nikki wrote:
FayeC wrote:
[...]

Oh, I'm glad to hear someone else say this! DS#1's bfed poops smelled
like buttered popcorn, or buttermilk, and were that textbook curdy
mustard yellow. DS#2 was just like Hunter . . . his diapers actually
got *better* starting solids, since at least the poos are more solid.

Melania