ear infection/breastmilk question

Old December 14th 05, 04:55 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default ear infection/breastmilk question

yeah, they heal. As a child I used to pray for my eardrum to rupture
because then the pain went away (ear infections have been a problem for
me my whole life-had over 70) I haven't had a perf for a while (I've
had 5-6 in each ear over my lifetime). I had a double perforation in
Jan of 99. Three blessed weeks of sleeping well since I couldn't hear
anything to wake me up. I needed it after the days of excruciating pain
leading up to the perf thanks to an idiot of a GP who told me after
accusing me of lying (when I said I hadn't flown recently) and giving
me Amox "If it doesn't get better you'll have to see someone else
because I can't give you anything stronger because you are pregnant." I
ended up in the ER on New Year's day with two perf'd drums and a BP of
147/90 from the pain. Nurse practitioner gave me a hug, Ceftin and
Tylenol with codeine bless her heart.

Old December 14th 05, 06:28 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Thanks, everyone! Well, it turns out that maybe he doesn't have an ear
infection after all... He broke out in spots all over his body today
and I thought it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotic, but our
ped says that he had a *viral* infection instead of a bacterial one
(we'd seen another ped initially), and that his ear looks fine. In any
case, we're to stop the antibiotics. I should have asked him about the
breastmilk in the ear trick, but I forgot!

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old December 14th 05, 06:29 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Kmom" wrote in message
oups.com...
yeah, they heal. As a child I used to pray for my eardrum to rupture
because then the pain went away (ear infections have been a problem for
me my whole life-had over 70) I haven't had a perf for a while (I've
had 5-6 in each ear over my lifetime). I had a double perforation in
Jan of 99. Three blessed weeks of sleeping well since I couldn't hear
anything to wake me up. I needed it after the days of excruciating pain
leading up to the perf thanks to an idiot of a GP who told me after
accusing me of lying (when I said I hadn't flown recently) and giving
me Amox "If it doesn't get better you'll have to see someone else
because I can't give you anything stronger because you are pregnant." I
ended up in the ER on New Year's day with two perf'd drums and a BP of
147/90 from the pain. Nurse practitioner gave me a hug, Ceftin and
Tylenol with codeine bless her heart.

Ye Gods, that's awful! I have nearly everything under the sun that runs in
my family, but thankfully not ear infections. Never had one, never want one!

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old December 14th 05, 01:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

You are right to be thankful :-) They are miserable. Thankfully, I only
have one child who got my ears (out of six so far) and he is my
youngest. He had tubes placed at 8 months (first set of ear infections
at 3 weeks (exclusively breastfed non smoking household) and 5 more
before he had the tubes placed). He is 27 months, has had one infection
since the tubes. One tube has fallen out and he is still infection
free. My 4yo is a little prone but not too bad she gets about 2
infections a year.
None of my kids will be as bad as I was, I've learned from my
experiences.

Old December 15th 05, 01:06 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Mum of Two" wrote in message

Yeah, I forgot to add that an ear infection that leads to a perforated
eardrum serves a purpose. Otherwise a perforated eardrum sounds pretty
scary. Those things heal, of course.

They heal very quickly actually. DD has had a few. The gunk that came
out...major squick factor. She's got some ear issues.

JennP.

Old December 15th 05, 01:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Kmom" wrote in message
oups.com...
He had tubes placed at 8 months (first set of ear infections
at 3 weeks (exclusively breastfed non smoking household) and 5 more
before he had the tubes placed). He is 27 months, has had one infection
since the tubes. One tube has fallen out and he is still infection
free. My 4yo is a little prone but not too bad she gets about 2
infections a year.
None of my kids will be as bad as I was, I've learned from my
experiences.

I think we are headed for tubes with dd (13 months). She's had I think 8
infections since April. The last one took three antibiotics to finally get
it to clear. She was clear for three weeks, caught another cold and I'm 99%
sure she's got another infection now. We have an appt. tomorrow am to
confirm. From there, it's the ent.

Like you, I had loads of ear infection problems. Had tubes when I was four,
didn't have many infections until I got married and I usually get one
whopper a year. It's not fun.

JennP.

Old December 15th 05, 02:06 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Tubes weren't 'in vogue' when I was a kid. I had 4-5 infections a year
until 15 when they finally yanked my tonsils which were so bad they
were talking cancer. I was infection free (and my hearing went to
normal for the first time in my life) until I was 23. I get 1-2
infections a year now. I'm still recovering from a nasty in March. I
have a mild case of chronic mastoiditis and it takes a long time for my
ears to recover now. My typmanogram is still totally flat. I LOVE my
ENT here. It's two guys in Monroe and they are just the best. The one
if very low-tech, I know if he says meds or surgery it is necessary. I
hope I can find someone I like in Texas. It's stressful enough looking
for an ob or midwife and pediatrician.
Tubes were the best thing I ever did for Ben. Procedure itself was
smooth-I held him while they gassed him, no IV as they never put him
totally out-just gas, he was out of the OR and in recovery in 10
minutes and I was there when he woke up, nursed him and we were gone
within the hour.
One infection after tubes, which cleared up beautifully with nothing
but Ciprodex ear drops-no systemic abx which I thought was GREAT! Tube
fell out of one side, hole closed up immediately.

Old December 15th 05, 03:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

emilymr wrote:
Thanks, everyone! Well, it turns out that maybe he doesn't have an ear
infection after all... He broke out in spots all over his body today
and I thought it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotic, but our
ped says that he had a *viral* infection instead of a bacterial one
(we'd seen another ped initially), and that his ear looks fine. In any
case, we're to stop the antibiotics. I should have asked him about the
breastmilk in the ear trick, but I forgot!

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Awwww, poor guy. I'm glad his ear looks fine, and you can stop the
antibiotics.

Well, I'm feeling very sorry for my little DS#2, just barely 7mo,
because he apparently has viral bronchiolitis AND an ear infection -
the eardrum is perforated and the drainage is taking me back to my own
childhood ear infection days

So he's on antibiotics (just like the yummy strawberry milkshake
amoxicillin I used to get as a kid) and we're staggering Motrin and
Tylenol on the dr's advice to keep his pain under control

Apparently, since the eardrum already perforated, it shouldn't be a
problem when we *fly* tomorrow (sigh). All three of us sickies are
going to be medicated for that flight . . . I pity our fellow
travellers.

Melania

Question for Dr. Sarah Vaughan Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 5 October 25th 04 10:14 PM
Doan lies yet again..was.. Kane0 lies again Doan's phony offer to "debate" Kane Spanking 6 May 14th 04 02:10 AM
Classic Droan was R R R R, should I DOUBLE DARE HIM? ..was... LaVonne Kane Spanking 0 April 17th 04 07:13 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM