ot-rice cereal

Old January 15th 04, 02:38 PM
Bach

Default ot-rice cereal

i am ready to experiment with feeding ds rice cereal. he is 4.5
months and appears very interested in food. what kind/brand do you
suggest? we live in u.s.

tia
mo
Old January 15th 04, 02:47 PM
Rob and Laura

i use heinz, iguess you can get that in the usa cant you?
but latley i have been making my own.

--
Laura, TTC #2
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

om...

Old January 15th 04, 06:54 PM
CY

FYI, 4.5 months os a little young for cereal. All the current guidelines
recommend waiting until 6 months for introduction of solids.

om...

Old January 15th 04, 11:03 PM
news.39311

Hi.... I use Earth's Best. It is organic and not genetically modified. I
started experimenting with rice at 5 months because my daughter really
appeared interested too.

You can make your own, but it is hard to make it un-lumpy enough for a tiny
baby. I steam brown rice, let it dry a little, and put it in the food
processor, adding water as I go along. It comes out kind of sticky though.

If you are breast feeding, there is an issue I read about regarding iron
absorbtion when using formula or iron-fortified rice cereal such that it
basically inhibits the baby's absorbtion of iron in breastmilk. Breastmilk
also will inhibit the absorbtion of the iron in a fortified cereal. I can
get a quote and the tech details if you are interested.

Good luck!

om...

Old January 16th 04, 12:33 AM
Bach

I'm familiar with that recommendation. I was dead set against
starting any solids prior to 6 mos. But, we should let the child
guide us as to when they are ready to try something, and if he turns
his nose up at it then we will gladly delay the solids. DS has more
than doubled his birth weight and he can sit up practically
unassisted...not to mention he is very intrigued when he sees me or dh
eat (and is sprouting a tooth in preparation). AAP agrees that since
children vary, solids (rice cereal) can safely be introduced at 4
months of age. I appreciate all feedback given on this topic....as
like you all, I want nothing but the best for my baby, but I also know
that children have their own agendas and following a textbook is not
necessarily appropriate for every child in every situation. Not to
mention, this kid loves breastmilk so much, that he may very well have
no interest in anything but. We'll see.
mo
ds 4.5 months and 20 lbs

"CY" wrote in message news:glBNb.8691$Xq2.6905@fed1read07...
FYI, 4.5 months os a little young for cereal. All the current guidelines
recommend waiting until 6 months for introduction of solids.

om...

Old January 16th 04, 02:58 AM
Chotii

"Bach" wrote in message
om...

"CY" wrote in message

> [...]

"Bach" wrote in message
om...

[...]

As far as I can tell, they're all the same. All of them. Except the
organic/brown rice ones, and even then, they're basically all the same: they
have very little flavor, very little texture, and contribute nothing to the
diet except carbohydrates (and maybe iron). I go through boxes and boxes of
the stuff for my tube-fed 4 year old, and just buy whatever's cheapest. It
all gets mushy instantly when wet, and providing your child does well on it
(my mother had to feed me barley (which here is only available from Gerber
and is only carried by Safeway), because I couldn't tolerate rice as an
infant) it's all basically polished white rice that's been cooked/thinned
down to almost nothing with water, dried into flakes, and packaged. I don't
see a difference in it beyond packaging and price, honestly.

If you're concerned about pesticides, I'd go for an organic brand - there
are several of these, and any health food store should have at least one
brand. If you're concerned about other nutrients beyond iron, I think a
brown-rice cereal would be better. These will also be at the health food
store. Some parents make their own by cooking a congee - which is, as far
as I understand, when you cook rice until it literally dissolves into a
paste. Takes a while, but then you know for sure what went into it.

(I don't even bother with cereals anymore. My attitude after 4 kids has
become, if they can get it into their own mouths, and it's dissolvable, they
can have it - there are any number of reasonably choke-free baby foods like
this. Also, though my own daughter at 5.5 months is fascinated when she sees
me eat food, she's also fascinated by paper, hairclips, and my keyboard, so
I don't take her interest as interest in *food* so much as 'whatever she
doesn't currently have stuffed into her mouth' - YMMV.)

--angela

suspicious of baby rice teapot Breastfeeding 15 February 6th 04 01:44 PM
types of cereal? Vijay Breastfeeding 3 November 21st 03 12:21 AM
rice Rob and Laura Breastfeeding 6 October 29th 03 08:00 PM
can I mix any other liquid in cereal? ted Breastfeeding 11 September 24th 03 05:36 PM
cereal contents? Faye Tarzwell Breastfeeding 22 August 23rd 03 03:04 AM