anyone else have a very large breastfed kid?

Old January 12th 04, 02:35 PM
Mary W.

Default anyone else have a very large breastfed kid?

Dagny wrote:

Is this because the charts use both formula fed and breastfed kids? Did
anybody have a particularly aggressive grower like me?

Emma was off the charts, both weight and height but not head circumfrence,
until about6 months. She's steadily declined in weight percentiles, but
has stayed over 95% in height (my family is very tall and her dad is tall,
although his family, not so much). At 2 years (last time she was measured,
she's 2.5 now) she was the 50% for weight and 95% for height.

Mary

Old January 12th 04, 02:46 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Dagny wrote:

Hm, according to the CDC chart, Meg is -- hovering slightly above. She was
born at 9lbs3, 22". She's now just a few ounces shy of 16 pounds and I
expect her to hit 16 by 3 months (just a few days away). I think she's 26
inches by now; I measured her maybe 10 days ago at 25.5"

I realize I should stop measuring her but I would know anyway by the diaper
sizes. She is moving into the next size of cloth wraps & paper diaps just
where the boxes say -- 16lbs.

Is this because the charts use both formula fed and breastfed kids? Did
anybody have a particularly aggressive grower like me?

-- Dagny
Mom to Meg, almost 3 months.

DS was 8 lbs 9 oz, 21" at birth. I didn't expect him to grow so quickly.
His older sister was about the same birth weight and length and her
weight settled at the 50th percentile. But DS has consistently been at
the 90th percentile in weight as well as his height, so he's not fat
just big.

At 3 months, he was around 16 lbs. At 6 months, he hit 20 lbs, 29
inches. But I have seen a 20 lb 4 month old (exclusively breastfed) -
now, *that* is BIG.

Jeanne

Old January 12th 04, 03:45 PM
Josianna

My baby, William, was 9lbs15oz at birth, 13lbs11oz at one month and at his
two month checkup last week, 16lbs6oz! He's exclusively breastfed and his
doctor says he's "as close to perfect as he can possibly be!" Apparently
it's not possible to have an unhealthily overweight baby through
breastfeeding. I'm pretty proud of him for being such a dedicated grower.

Joanna
ink.net...

Old January 12th 04, 04:02 PM
All4meUC

But I have seen a 20 lb 4 month old (exclusively breastfed) -
now, *that* is BIG.

My son is a few days shy of being 5 months and weighs 20 lbs. He was 8lbs 4oz
at birth.... he's only about 22" but neither I nor father are tall....
Old January 12th 04, 04:08 PM
Em

"Dagny" wrote in message
Hm, according to the CDC chart, Meg is -- hovering slightly above. She

was
born at 9lbs3, 22". She's now just a few ounces shy of 16 pounds and I
expect her to hit 16 by 3 months (just a few days away). I think she's 26
inches by now; I measured her maybe 10 days ago at 25.5"

I think that numbers are a bit different for boys, but my DS was born at
8lbs 4oz and 21 inches. At 6 weeks, he was 11lbs12oz and 24.5 inches which
was 95th percentile for height and 75-90th for weight. We haven't been back
to the doctor yet (his 4 month checkup is on the 22nd), but according to our
methods at home, he is close to 17 lbs and is 26 inches at present (3.5
months). So, he's doubled his birthweight already! I am kind of surprised
that his height increased so dramatically at first and then hasn't done very
much more in the past 10 weeks. According to various charts though, it
certainly looks like 26 inches is perfectly "respectable" for a not-yet-4
month old :-) I'm looking forward to getting his official "stats" at his
four month WBV. Will check back in here with the results.

I realize I should stop measuring her but I would know anyway by the

diaper
sizes. She is moving into the next size of cloth wraps & paper diaps just
where the boxes say -- 16lbs.

My DS has been in the 16-28 lbs size diapers for about a month now. We
started having lots of leaks with the smaller size and so even though he was
only 15 lbs or so, we switched to the next bigger size. He also wears his 9
month clothes. Unfortunately, I also have several 9 month sized things that
are totally the wrong season, because I bought them before he was born and
thought he wouldn't be wearing them until it was warm outside!

On a side note, it looks like the diaper sizing is consistent with what
Jeannie said about babies growing a lot in the torso early on and then
slowing down. 16-28 lbs is quite a range! My friend's 2 year old weighs 27
pounds, so I suppose it is conceivable that my DS may be still wearing the
same size diapers a year or more from now that he is wearing right now.

parents height correlating with infant size. That seems relatively true
for us. DH is 6'1" and I am 5'7". We are fairly thin people though--DH is
about 185 and I'm 116.

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 3.5 months

Old January 12th 04, 04:20 PM
Jacqui

Dagny wibbled

Is this because the charts use both formula fed and breastfed
kids? Did anybody have a particularly aggressive grower like me?

T at birth: 7lb11oz
3 days later, lowest recorded weight: 7lb4oz
from there upwards:

3 weeks 8lb13.5oz
4 weeks 9lb8oz
8 weeks 12lb12oz
12 weeks 15lb7oz
16 weeks 16lb12oz (had a cold from 15-17 weeks)
20 weeks 18lb1oz

At 24 weeks he weighs something above 19lb on our bathroom scales (both
alone and being held by one of us), and I will get him weighed
'officially' tomorrow. He has been on solids since the beginning of
December although not in any great quantity until after New Year (when
he decided to up his intake enormously, and his output accordingly
g). So much for the Small Clanger we were expecting after we were
warned at u/s he was small for dates... He doubled his birth weight
somewhere around 11 weeks and could triple it by 26 if his appetite
keeps up. If he was a more sedentary child (he bounces like a thousand
Tiggers and has been trying to walk/crawl/stand/get away since birth)
I'm sure he'd be wider than he is tall. :-)

Jac

Old January 12th 04, 06:36 PM
Cathy Weeks

"Dagny" wrote in message link.net...
Hm, according to the CDC chart, Meg is -- hovering slightly above. She was
born at 9lbs3, 22". She's now just a few ounces shy of 16 pounds and I
expect her to hit 16 by 3 months (just a few days away). I think she's 26
inches by now; I measured her maybe 10 days ago at 25.5"

I realize I should stop measuring her but I would know anyway by the diaper
sizes. She is moving into the next size of cloth wraps & paper diaps just
where the boxes say -- 16lbs.

Nah, don't stop measuring her. It's fun to see the growth, and know
that your body provided for her. However, if anyone is hassling you,
just tune them out. Even doctors can be wrong about this.

You see, breastfed babies frequently have very fast growth in the
first six months - 9 months, then slow way down in the second six
months. FF babies have a more steady growth throughout.

When my daughter, who was 6 lbs 14 oz at birth (25th percentile) was 3
months, she was 95+ percentile, and my doctor was urging me to cut
back on breastfeeding, so she wouldn't get too fat. I cheerfully
ignored her, and let my daughter nurse whenever she felt like it. I
did however place a call to a local La Leche League leader to double
check. :-)

By six months, just like everything I read, her growth began to slow
down. By 1 year, she was maybe 60th percentile. And by two, she is
between the 25th and 50th percentile, and the folds in her thighs that
were present when she was 3 and 4 months old are gone, replaced with
longer leaner limbs. Her face, which was very round has gotten much
narrower. I never did limit her breastfeeding (except for those
occasional marathons when my nipples got sore, and I told her my
breasts needed a break).

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old January 12th 04, 08:31 PM
Karen

"Dagny" wrote in message link.net...
Hm, according to the CDC chart, Meg is -- hovering slightly above. She was
born at 9lbs3, 22". She's now just a few ounces shy of 16 pounds and I
expect her to hit 16 by 3 months (just a few days away). I think she's 26
inches by now; I measured her maybe 10 days ago at 25.5"

My current nursling is a munchkin but a couple of my other children
have been fairly large. #3 was 7-14 at birth, 11-8 at 4 weeks, 14-10
at 8 weeks, 18-8 at 4 months and 20-6 at 6 months and exclusively
breastfed.
He was also very tall and walked at 8 1/2 months. He has continued to
be at the top of or off the charts in height his entire life (just
turned 7) but is around the 50-60% in weight now.

Karen
Old January 12th 04, 08:38 PM
Karen

After four bf kids whose weights/growth have varied widely, I've decided that
inborn growth patterns are a lot more indicative of eventual size than either
birthweight or feeding method. Thus Teddy's 12-months-older brother, born at
11.5 lbs. and bf just as much, is now a slender 80 lb. ten-year-old, and
William, age almost 3 and 13 + lbs. at birth, is around 33 lbs.

Leslie

As another mom of many I couldn't agree more. I have six children. One
has a constitutional growth delay and is very small for her age
(although was normal until she was about 3), a son on the small side
of average, a very tall son (which makes my oldest 3 aged 10 1/2,9 and
7 all about the same size-my 9 year old is my largest child just shy
of 70lbs) My 4 year old is a VERY tall girl, my three year old is bang
on average and my 4 month old is quite small. All were full term
ranging in size from 6-13 to 7-14 and from 20-21 inches long and all
were breastfed from anywhere from 6-15 months. They may be
'stairsteps' in writing but certainly don't look it.

Karen
Old January 12th 04, 09:29 PM
Spanannie

Zach weighed 18 lbs at 4 mos--he was a chub! FWIW, he slowed way down after
he hit a year and is now the skinniest of all of his buddies, weighing 24lbs
at 18mos.
It appears that when he lived soley on mommy's milk, he grew much more
rapidly. He still nurses, but is almost completely on regular food and he's
not too fond of eating all that much.

Annie

"Dagny" wrote in message
ink.net...

Hm, according to the CDC chart, Meg is -- hovering slightly above. She

was
born at 9lbs3, 22". She's now just a few ounces shy of 16 pounds and I
expect her to hit 16 by 3 months (just a few days away). I think she's 26
inches by now; I measured her maybe 10 days ago at 25.5"

I realize I should stop measuring her but I would know anyway by the

diaper
sizes. She is moving into the next size of cloth wraps & paper diaps just
where the boxes say -- 16lbs.

Is this because the charts use both formula fed and breastfed kids? Did
anybody have a particularly aggressive grower like me?

-- Dagny
Mom to Meg, almost 3 months.

Large breasts and LCs Elaine Breastfeeding 12 December 27th 03 06:43 AM
Why are new cars missing car seat LATCH for rear middle seat???? Paula Pregnancy 44 November 12th 03 09:13 AM
Large babies? Jill Pregnancy 10 October 26th 03 09:53 AM
I to find an xtra large nipple shield ASAP Patty Breastfeeding 1 August 28th 03 10:40 PM
The Therapy Patent Corporation is providing information about a new patent pending, untested, experimental therapy for treatment of leukemia, cancer, aids, poison, snake bite, drug overdose, aged persons, transfusion of large volumes of blood and all TherapyPatent Kids Health 1 August 1st 03 02:07 PM