baby routine tips needed please

Old November 11th 07, 01:13 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sharalyns

Default baby routine tips needed please

On Nov 10, 2:10 pm, "Karen \(LG\)" wrote:

I kept a chart yesterday to see how much milk and solids he had to see for
myself if he has any ''pattern'' to his feeding. He had solids for 3 meals
plus rice for supper, 2 breastfeeds of 6 minutes whilst sleepy and 18 oz of
formula. Feeding roughly every 2 hours solids are fed at different times to
breastfed or formula.(so he had 4 meals, 2 breastfeeds and 5 bottles)

Well, you are supposed to take the weight of the infant, and multiple
that times 2.5-2.7 to get how many ounces in a day he should have
(based on lots of websites--I know next to nothing about formula
feeding). So based on a 14 pound baby, you are looking at him needing
about 35 ounces of milk per day. In two breastfeeds, that means he
would have to have had 17 ounces of milk to hit that 35 ounce mark.

If he's eating solids plus rice that's a *lot* for an infant at that
age. I'd back off of that, and just switch over to the bottles plus
maybe some rice if needed. Just replacing those three meals with a 4
ounce bottle is going to get you an additional 12 ounces of milk per
day, which would get you a *lot* closer to his nutritional needs. A
hungry baby is a grumpy baby, in my experience.

Here's a decent website that includes age into nutritional needs:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-t...ula-your-baby-
needs_9136.bc

Hope that helps!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James

Old November 11th 07, 01:33 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Karen (LG) wrote:
I added the baby rice supper after speaking to my health visitor, if you
think it's too much should I switch to something else?

I think the only thing to look at is whether he's
getting enough milk. I don't really know how much is
enough, though I think there are maybe recommendations
out there you can google on about how many ounces/day
based on weight. Of course, babies don't always read
those guidelines ;-)
I think the main thing is just to look at the
balance. If the cereal is causing him to sleep longer,
then hunger may be the issue. Some cereal obviously isn't
a problem, but if it becomes too big a proportion of solids
over the course of the day, that could possibly backfire.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old November 11th 07, 01:34 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

I'm even more confused now, sorry guys.

I introduced solids now I've got to stop them !! Won't he be back to
screaming again?

I stopped the baby rice last night for supper, gave him 4oz milk instead and
he's was wide awake at 5am again.

I think I'm going to get my health visitor to pop round and see how we can
get this sorted.

I appreciate all the advice. Will let you know how he goes on.

Karen

Old November 11th 07, 01:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..

I'm not reluctant to make feeds up in the night, I'm trying to keep the milk
supply going and him interested in breastfedding so at weekends when he is
breastfed more during the day that the milk is still there for him.

I don't think ''only breastfeeding'' or ''only bottle feeding'' is the
answer. I want to do what's best for him but he has to fit in with our
hectic schedule too.

Old November 11th 07, 01:44 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

"sharalyns" wrote in message
oups.com...

WOW even before solids he'd never have taken 2.5x his body weight in milk.

The website also says ''Once your baby reaches 6 months, you can feed him 6
to 8 ounces at a feeding, up to around 32 ounces of formula per day. At this
point you should start adding solid foods to his diet, if you haven't
already. You'll find that as your baby gets older, he will drink fewer
bottles with more formula.''

He will never drink more than 4oz or he just spends the next hour throwing
it back up again................

I guess he's not an ''average'' baby.

Old November 11th 07, 04:24 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

I'm not reluctant to make feeds up in the night, I'm trying to keep the milk
supply going and him interested in breastfedding so at weekends when he is
breastfed more during the day that the milk is still there for him.

I wasn't suggesting you were, more that I would be and this would be
something that would discourage me from stopping breastfeeding completely.

I don't think ''only breastfeeding'' or ''only bottle feeding'' is the
answer. I want to do what's best for him but he has to fit in with our
hectic schedule too.

I think the best chance you have of getting that to work is to have a
fixed day to day schedule, including weekends of when he bottle feeds
and breastfeed on demand the rest of the time. Mixed feeding is hard, it
interferes with the feedback loop regulating breast milk production and
there are are quite a few signs from your account suggesting that he
isn't getting enough breastmilk.

Cheers
Anne
Old November 11th 07, 05:55 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Karen (LG) wrote:
I'm even more confused now, sorry guys.

I introduced solids now I've got to stop them !! Won't he be back to
screaming again?

I stopped the baby rice last night for supper, gave him 4oz milk instead and
he's was wide awake at 5am again.

I think I'm going to get my health visitor to pop round and see how we can
get this sorted.

I appreciate all the advice. Will let you know how he goes on.

Sometimes you just have to do what works for
*your* baby. As long as you know *why* things are
recommended one way or another, you can try to navigate
the minefield and figure out what seems like a reasonable
strategy for your situation.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old November 11th 07, 07:41 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pologirl

My two (3.5 and 1) sleep in the same room. It is their dormitory,
containing only their beds and clothing. In a tiny room, I would opt
for a bunkbed, or a loft bed and crib.

DS no longer takes naps, but because their bedroom has no toys in it
he is not inconvenienced by DD monopolizing the bedroom for her naps.
Also, there are no toys to stimulate them at bedtime. Sometimes DS
needs a change of clothing during DD's nap, but I keep one or two
changes on hand in a shared diaper bag.

When either of my kids wakes in the very early morning, most often it
is because they kicked off their covers and are cold, even in their
extra warm jammies. I go in without turning on any lights, say "night
time, time to sleep" while fixing the covers, and leave again.

Changing the clocks always disrupts the kids' schedules a little. The
change in the fall seems to be worse in this regard.

Pologirl

Old November 11th 07, 08:12 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Pologirl wrote:
My two (3.5 and 1) sleep in the same room. It is their dormitory,
containing only their beds and clothing. In a tiny room, I would opt
for a bunkbed, or a loft bed and crib.

yup, I think the room our initially shared was about 10*7, what worked
for us was a toddler bed and a cot, Bunk beds would have fitted, but
they don't recommend you use the top until a child is 6, so that
wouldn't have helped.

Changing the clocks always disrupts the kids' schedules a little. The
change in the fall seems to be worse in this regard.

I'd thought of that as a possibility and was trying to work out if the
numbers had it the right way round and I think it does 5am is what was
6am, if something else changes their schedule on the day of the change,
waking up half an hour early can look like 1.5hours early. Similarly at
the end of the day you're doing everything an hour later than the
previous day and that can upset a child in a subtle way, they can get
overtired and sleep worse etc. It's probably not the whole answer, but
there were several news articles this clock change giving research
results suggesting it mucked children around too much, you think it's
just an hour, it can't do much harm, but we've definitely had more bed
time issues in the week after the clocks changed than is normal,
probably because they are overtired at bedtime, when an hour earlier
they would have been fine. I tend to deal with the autumn change no
problem, but the spring change can really much my body around, an hour
less sleep may not seem like much, but when life is constantly on the
edge it can make a big difference.

Cheers
Anne
Old November 11th 07, 10:39 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
. ..

Sometimes you just have to do what works for
*your* baby. As long as you know *why* things are
recommended one way or another, you can try to navigate
the minefield and figure out what seems like a reasonable
strategy for your situation.

Best wishes,
Ericka

If only every baby was the same things would be so much easier !!

I guess we'll plod along and hope things improve.

Anne seems to think he needs a set shedhule to when he has bottles and when
he has breast milk, Easier said than done in this house. As of today I'm
going 100% bottle. It's easier for everyone. Let's see how he goes.

So far today Connor has had 20oz of milk from 5am. He's now asleep but took
some getting off. I cut out ''dinner & teatime & supper'' I just gave him
some breakfast to fill him after just ''2 sleepy breastfeeds'' during the
night. He was offerec milk at ''dinner, teatime & supper'' but refused and
just cried.

Let's see how the night goes.

Karen

baby tips koko Child Support 0 October 1st 07 08:25 AM
Baby Safety Tips [email protected] Pregnancy 0 July 30th 06 08:36 PM
Setting a routine advice needed kazh Pregnancy 11 February 24th 06 09:52 PM
Laundry tips needed! Jill Pregnancy 11 May 19th 04 08:26 PM
bedtime routine for 3rd baby Nevermind General 4 August 1st 03 12:18 AM