Need help on potty training

Old November 29th 03, 06:38 AM
Jessica

Default Need help on potty training

My son turns 3 next Feb. We've been potty training him at home. He
goes to day care full time. The teacher asked us to practice at home
first. We've put underwear on him and set up regular potty time to let
him get used to it. He did it a few times but accidents most of the
time.

We have hard time to get him to tell us _when_ he has to go. He knows
what to do when we go potty, ie, pants down, go, wipe, flush, wash
hands, etc. Sometimes he'd sit on the potty for long time and we read
a lot of books. Then he said he's done and we got him dressed. A few
minutes later he had an accident. We had him watch us cleaned up the
yuckies and tried to teach him not to have accidents. But that didn't
seem to help.

Any tips on helping the kids to know when they have to go? Thanks!

Jessica
Old November 30th 03, 03:03 PM
Penny Gaines

Jessica wrote in :

[snip]
We have hard time to get him to tell us _when_ he has to go. He knows
what to do when we go potty, ie, pants down, go, wipe, flush, wash
hands, etc. Sometimes he'd sit on the potty for long time and we read
a lot of books. Then he said he's done and we got him dressed. A few
minutes later he had an accident. We had him watch us cleaned up the
yuckies and tried to teach him not to have accidents. But that didn't
seem to help.

Any tips on helping the kids to know when they have to go? Thanks!

It sounds like he might know *when* to go, but not *how* to go.

I'd get him to think about how it feels when he is doing a wee, and see
if he can make that feeling on his own.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Update - child-led potty training Cathy Weeks General 2 November 22nd 03 11:00 PM
OT - Potty training - can it be child-led? (xpost) Cathy Weeks General 40 November 21st 03 10:05 PM
Stop killing Innocent Puppies! (Petition) The Puppy Wizard General 0 October 10th 03 06:59 PM
potty training lynn General 8 August 6th 03 10:37 PM
Frustrated - Potty training Infocus General 8 July 16th 03 05:04 PM