of interest

Old November 3rd 04, 06:53 PM
Mona

Default of interest

want to introduce a new group. called Ethnic Mommies. It is a group
for Black, latino or Asian moms or moms of bi-racial
children...especially when the fathers are still in the home.

I don't mean to sound racist, but I have been on quite a few mom and
stepmom groups in the last 3 yrs since I'm been a full time stepmom
and during tht time, one thing has become quite evident.. Caucasian
and non-Caucasian parents just seem to be "wired" differently. So,
since I couldn't seem to find a group in which I felt at home or that
I jibbed with, I created my own. I hope to get a few members and some
conversation going. If I haven't offended.. please come take a look.

If I have offended, I'm truly sorry

Old November 4th 04, 12:47 AM
toypup

"Mona" wrote in message
om...
want to introduce a new group. called Ethnic Mommies. It is a group
for Black, latino or Asian moms or moms of bi-racial
children...especially when the fathers are still in the home.

I don't mean to sound racist, but I have been on quite a few mom and
stepmom groups in the last 3 yrs since I'm been a full time stepmom
and during tht time, one thing has become quite evident.. Caucasian
and non-Caucasian parents just seem to be "wired" differently.

Are you saying Black, Latino, Asian moms and moms of bi-racial children are
wired the same? That's quite a diverse group that pretty much includes
everyone but Caucasians. Why are caucasians so different from everyone else
in the world?

Old November 4th 04, 03:12 AM
cara

Mona wrote:

want to introduce a new group. called Ethnic Mommies. It is a group
for Black, latino or Asian moms or moms of bi-racial
children...especially when the fathers are still in the home.

I don't mean to sound racist, but I have been on quite a few mom and
stepmom groups in the last 3 yrs since I'm been a full time stepmom
and during tht time, one thing has become quite evident.. Caucasian
and non-Caucasian parents just seem to be "wired" differently. So,
since I couldn't seem to find a group in which I felt at home or that
I jibbed with, I created my own. I hope to get a few members and some
conversation going. If I haven't offended.. please come take a look.

If I have offended, I'm truly sorry

I wouldn't take offense to this, but I do find it odd and confusing. Is
this an online group? Seems a little weird to me, how do you
differentiate who's what ethnicity over the internet? That isn't
something I've encountered on the parenting groups I've read over the
years, I generally have no clue who is caucasian or non-caucasian.
Either way, I tend to disagree with the general premise, I live in a
very multi-cultural region of the US and I find that while some cultural
differences in parenting styles and norms are evident where I am, it
isn't drawn across such a distinct line in the sand (cauc vs
non.cauc). Maybe its more of a regional effect instead of racial. I
would never choose my groups, friends or affiliations based solely on
race, its too arbitrary - I know plenty of people my own race that I
disagree with.

cara

Old November 4th 04, 03:45 AM
Kalera Stratton

I've noticed that minority and biracial people tend to think there's a
use for such groups, while the only people who have objections to them
tend to be caucasian.

If it's useless to you, don't join. The usefulness of such a group to
its members, and whether they find a form of support they aren't finding
elsewhere, will determine its success or failure.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old November 4th 04, 05:49 AM
eggs

"Mona" wrote in message
om...
want to introduce a new group. called Ethnic Mommies. It is a group
for Black, latino or Asian moms or moms of bi-racial
children...especially when the fathers are still in the home.

I don't mean to sound racist, but I have been on quite a few mom and
stepmom groups in the last 3 yrs since I'm been a full time stepmom
and during tht time, one thing has become quite evident. Caucasian
and non-Caucasian parents just seem to be "wired" differently. So,
since I couldn't seem to find a group in which I felt at home or that
I jibbed with, I created my own. I hope to get a few members and some
conversation going. If I haven't offended.. please come take a look.

If I have offended, I'm truly sorry

I don't think your post is offensive, I just think it's dumb. The
argument that it is the color of a persons' skin that determines their
intellectual capacity, or how they are "wired", is an old one and a
wrong one. Certainly, life experience can color a person's view of the
world, and the experience of being a minority can have a strong impact.
This is an entirely different thing however, to saying that a person's
skin color effects the way that their mind works. If you send a white
person to live in Nairobi, or Tokyo, then they will experience life as a
minority just as easily as if you send a black man from Nairobi to live
in Wichita, or a conservative Jew to live in Tasmania. You didn't need
to bring race into your posting at all to make it clear that you were
forming a group for women to discuss how being a minority effected their
lives as mothers. It does not offend me, but does say unpleasant things
about you, that you felt it necessary to spell out the fact that people
with white skin were not welcome in your group. Good luck with it all.

eggs.

Old November 4th 04, 05:59 AM
eggs

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
I've noticed that minority and biracial people tend to think there's a
use for such groups, while the only people who have objections to them
tend to be caucasian.

Well, it's fairly understandable that the most vocal opposition to
groups that specifically exclude white people, would be the white people
themselves who are, after all, the only ones being excluded.

If it's useless to you, don't join. The usefulness of such a group to
its members, and whether they find a form of support they aren't
finding elsewhere, will determine its success or failure.

-Kalera

I agree with you on this point

eggs.

Old November 4th 04, 06:05 AM
Nikki

Mona wrote:

I have been on quite a few mom and
stepmom groups in the last 3 yrs since I'm been a full time stepmom
and during tht time, one thing has become quite evident.. Caucasian
and non-Caucasian parents just seem to be "wired" differently.

How so? I'm genuinly interested in your answer. Nothing is really leaping
out at me so I have no idea.

--
Nikki

Old November 4th 04, 06:16 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Mona wrote:
want to introduce a new group. called Ethnic Mommies. It is a group
for Black, latino or Asian moms or moms of bi-racial
children

From that description, it sounds more like a group for moms of minority
kids.

Caucasian and non-Caucasian parents just seem to be "wired" differently.

So what about the white moms of bi-racial kids? In or out?

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread; substitute gmail

Old November 4th 04, 11:47 PM
toypup

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
I've noticed that minority and biracial people tend to think there's a use
for such groups, while the only people who have objections to them tend to
be caucasian.

I am not caucasian, my children are bi-racial. I would be qualified in
every way to join this group, but I do not tolerate racism, not even reverse
racism. I have absolutely no use for this group. The group could be
inclusive, maybe one that celebrates diversity. It may focus on one
specific cultural identity, but to exclude an entire group based on racial
background is just wrong. Why is no one taking offense? Because
discrimination against caucasians is okay?

Let me clarify, I think it's fine for birds of a feather to want to flock
together. Most other birds probably would not be interested in that
particular flock. But if a bird of another feather wants to join the flock,
it should be okay.

Old November 5th 04, 12:01 AM
Banty

In article ikyid.296430$wV.52600@attbi_s54, toypup says...

[...]

I dunno about feathers and birds, but I agree with the first paragraph.

It's one thing for a group of parents with something in common to want to have a
special forum. Their own culture or whatever, and how to interact with the
wider world.

It's quite anothre for a group of parents, with the only thing in common being
that they're NOT a particular racial group, to want to have a special forum.
Really - WHAT purpose would it serve, other than the desires of a self-selected
few that don't like "THEM" (whoever the excluded "them" is).

So naturally, there will be resentment. And that resentment is for a reason
that would not mean someone would resent special fora for those of a particular
background, nor would it mean that anyone would not be welcome in a diverse
forum. But not this "Everyone but them" situation. Overt exclusion will be
resented in and of itself.

Banty