The Great Squat Robbery: Belgian 'crucial sitting principles'?

Old November 27th 06, 07:33 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.health.alternative,sci.med
[email protected]

Default The Great Squat Robbery: Belgian 'crucial sitting principles'?

SITTING: POTENTIALLY INAPPROPRIATE...
"Sitting provides an excellent example of potentially inappropriate
technology transfer." --Gurr K, Straker L and Moore P (1998) Cultural
hazards in the transfer of ergonomics technology. International Journal
of Industrial Ergonomics 22(4-5): 397-404.
Sitting/semisitting during BIRTH is perhaps the WORST "transfer of
ergonomics technology. See below and see Gastaldo TD. Birth.
1992;19(4):230-1.
Attn: Jeffrey H. Tucker, DC, DACRB: Why not mention The Great Squat
Robbery in your ankle rehab protocol? See the very end of this post.

THE GREAT SQUAT ROBBERY:
BELGIAN "CRUCIAL SITTING PRINCIPLES"?
Geldof et al. mention such principles but unfortunately don't actually
list any in their PubMed abstract. [Geldhof E. et al.^^^ Back posture
education in elementary schoolchildren: a 2-year follow-up study. Eur
Spine J. 2006 Sep 30; [Epub ahead of print], reproduced below.]
OPEN LETTER archived for global access in Google; see below.
Elisabeth Geldhof, PhDDepartment of Movement and Sports SciencesGhent
UniversityWatersportlaan 2, 9000Ghent, Belgiumvia

Elisabeth,
I hope that your "intensive back posture education through the
elementary school curriculum" includes Canadian orthopedic surgeon W.
Harry Fahrni's notion^^^ of letting children SQUAT so as to prevent the
loss of the fundamental human rest posture.

^^^See Fahrni WH. Orth Clin N Am. 1975.

Most children lose their comfortable prolonged squatting ability by
adulthood. Some lose the flat-footed squatting ability all together -
falling over backwards if they attempt a flat-footed squat. (Jeffrey
Tucker, DC alludes to this loss in his ankle rehab protocol, quoted
below.)
Children are being robbed of a fundamental human rest posture by a
chair-dwelling culture whose authorities claim to have "crucial sitting
principles."
Simultaneously, children are robbed of a fundamental human DELIVERY
posture - a robbery which Gardosi et al. [Lancet 1989] blamed for the
fact that MD-obstetricians are closing birth canal up to 30%. See the
postscript.
I call it The Great Squat Robbery.
I hope your "scope of primary prevention regarding back functioning in
children" includes stopping The Great Squat Robbery.

Please let me know if it does.

EMERGENCY.

Gardosi et al. [Lancet 1989] in effect blamed The Great Squat Robbery
for the fact that MD-obstetricians routinely close birth canals up to
30% and routinely KEEP birth canals closed when babies get stuck - as
they pull with hands, forceps and vacuums - with MD-obstetricians
telling obvious cover-up lies.

For the Four OB Cover-up Lies (they are whoppers)...

See Dents in babies' skulls"
http://groups.google.com/group/
misc.kids.pregnancy/msg/08abfc7ff242150e

Alternate URL:

INTERESTINGLY: No one squatted in Gardosi et al.'s "randomised
controlled trial of squatting," mentioned above.

WHITE ELEPHANT FACT: Chair-dwelling elderly are having difficulty
rising from a chair while similarly aged elderly in squatting cultures
maintain their ability to rise from a full squat.

I hope squatting-increases-knee-pain researchers (eg. Tangtrakulwanich
et al., quoted below) are mentioning this White Elephant fact as they
warn about the dangers of squatting.

SQUATTING-INCREASES-KNEE-PAIN RESEARCHERS...

Tangtrakulwanich et al. write:

"Knee osteoarthritis is a major worldwide public health
problem...Squatting and lotus positions increased the relative risk of
knee pain with radiographic osteoarthritis. Our data suggest habitual
lifetime squatting, lotus, and side-knee bending positions increase the
risk of knee osteoarthritis." [Tangtrakulwanich B, Chongsuvivatwong V,
Geater AF. Clin Orthop Relat Res.2006 Sep 14; Epub ahead of print]

"Patterns and risk factors of knee osteoarthritis in Asian countries
where most people have habitual knee bending activities remain
unclear." [Tangtrakulwanich B, Geater AF, Chongsuvivatwong V. J Orthop
Sci. 2006 Sep;11(5):439-45.]

I'll copy Tangtrakulwanich et al. via .

Again, that WHITE ELEPHANT FACT: Chair-dwelling elderly are having
difficulty rising from a chair while similarly aged elderly in
squatting cultures maintain their ability to rise from a full squat.

I hope squatting-increases-knee-pain researchers are mentioning this
White Elephant fact as they warn about dangers of squatting.

I don't think they are...

See my April 18, 2004 post titled "'Science' vs Squatting (Zhang et al.
2004)") - excerpted below.

At the very least maybe posture experts in both chair-dwelling and
squatting cultures will help stop the massive obstetric crime which (I
say again) Gardosi et al. in effect blamed on The Great Squat Robbery.

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo
Hillsboro, Oregon
USA

PS1 SCIENCE vs SQUATTING
(What follows is an excerpt from my April 18, 2004 post titled
"'Science' vs
Squatting (Zhang et al. 2004)")

HIPS: "[Hip osteoarthritis in Chinese] was 80-90% less frequent
than in white persons in the US..."
--Nevitt et al. [2002]

Maybe squatting DOES protect against hip osteoarthritis? It's an
intriguing
thought...

But what's up with these studies of Chinese KNEES (abstracts below)?

According to Zhang et al. [2004]:

"Prolonged squatting is a strong risk factor for tibiofemoral knee OA
among
elderly Chinese subjects in Beijing, and accounts for a substantial
proportion of the difference in prevalence of tibiofemoral OA between
Chinese subjects in Beijing and white subjects in Framingham."
[Zhang et al. Association of squatting with increased prevalence of
radiographic tibiofemoral knee osteoarthritis. ARTHRITIS & RHEUMATISM
Vol.
50, No. 4, April 2004, pp 1187-1192]

WHOA! Not so fast...

If one reads the abstract closely, one finds that in Beijing Chinese
women a
lifetime of squatting leads to only 10% more knee osteoarthritis seen
on
x-ray than in white females in the US...

And Beijing Chinese men evidenced LESS knee osteoarthritis - 7% less -
relative to white males in the US...

LESS evidence of knee osteoarthritis in Beijing men - after a lifetime
of
squatting!

"...the impact of squatting on the difference in prevalence of
tibiofemoral
OA between the Chinese subjects from Beijing and the white subjects
from
Framingham. After adjustment for age, the absolute prevalence of
tibiofemoral OA in the Chinese women was higher than in the white
women, by
14.4%. However, with further adjustment for the time spent squatting at
age
25, the difference in prevalence was reduced to 9.5%. Among the men,
the
age-adjusted prevalence of tibiofemoral OA was only slightly lower in
the
Chinese subjects compared with the white subjects, by 2.9%. However,
after
adding the impact of squatting into the model, the difference became
greater, with the adjusted prevalence of tibiofemoral OA in the Chinese
men
being 7.0% less than in the white men. (p. 1190)

PROLONGED squatting at age 25...

This was where the apparent knee-osteoarthritis-generating effect of
squatting exceeded "borderline" significance...

"...although our data showed that squatting at age 25 was associated
with an
increased prevalence of tibiofemoral knee OA, the trend was of only
borderline statistical significance. The effect was mostly seen among
subjects with a history of prolonged squatting, but the percentage of
subjects who reported prolonged squatting was relatively small." (p.
1191)

I WONDER...

Are BEIJING Chinese 60-year-olds squatting like the rest of 60-year-old

Chinese in China? The study made this inference...

"Nonoccupational squatting is a common posture in daily living among
Chinese
men and women...we recruited a random sample of men and women age [at
least]
60 years from 4 central districts of Beijing, China. Subjects were
interviewed at their homes by trained health professional interviewers.
We
administered a standardized questionnaire that focused on joint
symptoms,
previous diagnoses of arthritis, and possible risk factors for OA.
Subjects
were asked to recall how much time they spent squatting per day, on
average,
at age 25 years, including squatting while using the toilet, talking,
cooking, eating, doing housework, washing clothes, and working." (p.
1888)

The study found a LOT of Beijing Chinese who thought that at age 25
they
squatted less than 30 min per day...Is this normal throughout China?

From p. 1190...a table showing minutes per day spent squatting at age

25 -
recollections 35 years later in Beijing Chinese men and women...

Men

0-29 212

30-59 229

60-119 215

120-179 51

[more than] 180 32

Women

0-29 146

30-59 189

60-119 442

120-179 230

[more than]180 70

QUESTION: How long do Beijing Chinese 60-year-olds squat TODAY at age
60+?
The study didn't say...

How many minutes per day do 60-year-olds squat throughout the rest of
China?

A FLAW...

According to the April 2004 Zhang et al. study,

"In Western societies, squatting in occupational activities often
occurs in
conjunction with other heavy labor. Any of these activities may
increase the
risk of knee OA, thus confounding the relationship between squatting
and
knee OA." (p. 1188)

I submit that in Western societies, many (most?) of those engaged "in
occupational activities" have LOST their innate prolonged squatting
ability...

They CAN'T squat. I emphasize the word PROLONGED here. Interestingly,
no
one squatted in Gardosi et al.'s 1989 Lancet "randomised controlled
trial of
squatting" - because (said Gardosi et al.) Westerners cannot squat for
prolonged periods.

SHORT periods of squatting (during contractions) suffice during birth:

See again: Sarah Key's huge balls (also: Kids can SQUAT
motionless for hours)...

Western CHAIRDWELLERS are not likely squatting flat-footed when "deep
squatting" - or at the very least they are not squatting flat-footed
**for
prolonged periods** while engaged "in occupational activities" -
because
most simply CAN'T comfortably squat flat-footed for prolonged periods.

Zhang et al. assumed:

"[W]e assumed that all of the white subjects had squatted for fewer
than 30
minutes each day at age 25. It is quite possible that some subjects in
the
Framingham OA Study squatted for more than 30 minutes per day at age
25."
(p. 1191-2)

Yes, some Westerners still CAN squat flat-footed at age 25 - but I
submit
that most do not do so for more than 30 minutes per day at age 25 for
the
reasons given above.

I submit that *forced chairdwelling* is the problem:

In 1987, Newsweek reported that children can only sit still for 15
minutes
at a time in their chairs:

"Educators say that many five-year olds really can't handle a highly
academic program. They're still learning how to sit still for more than

15 minutes at a time." [Kantrowitz B, Wingert P. The big grind in
kindergarten. Newsweek (Aug10)1987. From Gastaldo's peer review of the
AHCPR-sponsored Low Back Guideline draft.]

The West does not want to give up its chairs...

The chair is a powerful symbol of power - both in language and
practice.

1. The most powerful persons in organizations are termed "chairs"...

2. the Pope is named after the chair he sits in (the Holy
See) and his corporate centers (Cathedrals) are named after the chairs
(Cathedra) they house...

The chair-dwelling West wishes to transfer this "ergonomics technology"

called the chair...

Gurr, Straker and Moore write:

"[i]f ergonomics technology transfer is based on the assumption that
ergonomics knowledge is culture free then ergonomics as a profession
may be
guilty of hypocrisy. Sitting provides an excellent example of
potentially
inappropriate technology transfer."
--Gurr K, Straker L and Moore P (1998)
Cultural hazards in the transfer of ergonomics technology.
International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 22(4-5): 397-404.

[I could not find the excellent article by Gurr et al. online anymore.
This post - The Great Squat Robbery: Belgian "crucial sitting
principles" is being copied to Gurr et al. via ]

Maybe there are PSYCHIATRIC/PSYCHOLOGIC benefits to squatting?

In 1944, psychiatrist EA Strecker, MD indirectly suggested there may be

psychiatric ramifications of our culture-wide loss of a fundamental
human
range of motion...

"Are we not a crossroads in the path of our civilization when it would
be
well for us to emulate that tribe of Amazon River natives who, from
time to
time, interrupt their customary routine of activities and squat on the
ground? Neither persuasion nor threat serves to move them until an
alloted
time has elapsed. They declare they are waiting for their 'souls to
catch
up with their bodies...'" [E.A. Strecker, MD. 1944 Presidential Address

before the American Psychiatric Association. Am J Psychiatry.
1944;101:1-8]

Most Westerners cannot emulate Amazon river natives - they are ROBBED
of
their innate ability to squat flat-footed for prolonged periods.

PS2 BELGIAN "CRUCIAL SITTING PRINCIPLES"...
One "crucial sitting principle" that I have seen is "Maintain the
lumbar lordosis."
Most humans on the planet make the lumbar lordosis DISAPPEAR in
circumstances in which we Westerners would sit in chairs or on bus
benches.
In this regard - my 2003 email to SARAH KEY (physiotherapist to HRH
Prince of Wales)...
Sarah says, "Maintain a better lumbar hollow." See below.
BEGIN excerpt of Sarah Key's huge balls (also: Kids can SQUAT motionless for hours)
http://groups.google.com/group/misc....f5a6c0ab5484b5
SARAH KEY'S HUGE BALLS...

SARAH KEY (physiotherapist to HRH Prince of Wales) suggests that huge
balls
("Medi-balls") are "ideal seating for computers, especially for
children."
http://www.sarahkey.com/thought.cfm?ID=41

Sarah Key was a "big draw...an overwhelming success" at the Annual
General
Meeting of Britain's BackCare Charity for Healthier Backs...
http://www.backpain.org/pages/p_page...rahkeyagm2.php

ATTENTION Britain's BackCare Charity for Healthier Backs (via
)...

Like Sarah, BackCare suggests (see quote below) that sitting in front
of
computers and TVs is causing back pain/setting children up for back
pain
later in life...

*Is* sitting in front of computers and TVs causing back pain/setting
children up for back pain later in life?

OR... Is sitting on CHAIRS causing back pain/setting children up for
back
pain? (Most humans on the planet can SQUAT motionless for hours.)

I don't think anyone knows the answer to these questions - but WHY are
we
allowing Western culture to rob children of their innate comfortable
prolonged squatting ability?

**WHY** CHILDREN SQUAT SPONTANEOUSLY?

In 1986, the late Arthur Guyton, MD wrote:

"Even such simple activities as sitting for a long time...can cause
tissue
destruction...Cessation of blood
flow to the skin...usually...cause[s] pain...[within]...20 to 30
minutes"
(p. 594)...when the skin becomes painful as a result of the ischemia,
the
person shifts weight unconsciously" (p. 592). [Guyton AC. Textbook of
Medical Physiology. 7th ed. Phil: W.B. Saunders 1986]

Whereas most humans on the planet can squat for hours nearly
motionless...

CHAIRDWELLING CHILDREN SQUIRM IN THEIR CHAIRS...

Chairdwelling children (and adults) squirm in their chairs as they LOSE
this
precious innate rest posture...

In 1987, Newsweek reported that children can only sit still for 15
minutes
at a time in their chairs:

"Educators say that many five-year olds really can't handle a highly
academic program. They're still learning how to sit still for more than

15 minutes at a time." [Kantrowitz B, Wingert P. The big grind in
kindergarten. Newsweek (Aug10)1987. From Gastaldo's peer review of the
AHCPR-sponsored Low Back Guideline draft.]

NOTE: The just mentioned AHCPR-sponsored panel (mostly MDs) ignored my
peer
review efforts and concluded that "Sitting is safe." : (

Sarah says: "Far more insidious for spinal health [than backpacks] is
what
the computer age is doing to our kids...protracted hours of sitting,
the
unusually static nature of that pose, and the actual ergonomics of the
setup. Children can sit for hours, inert and hunched over a computer
screen,
their only physical effort being a couple of keystrokes and pushing the

mouse...[T]he bases of their spines suffer through the static squashing
of
sitting (and remember in earlier evolutionary forms we never sat, we
squatted!) which progressively leaches water from the shock-absorbing
intervertebral discs, it is really the upper end of the spine which
suffers
most.
http://www.sarahkey.com/thought.cfm?ID=41

BOTH sitting and squatting squeeze water out of the lumbar discs.
Squeezing
water out of lumbar discs is considered healthy by some.

See Adams and Hutton cited in: Nachemson v. Billions of Africans,
Arabs and
Asians...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...TF-8&selm=qXS1...

As above... Is it long hours motionless - or is it long hours
motionless on
CHAIRS that is doing the damage?

Again, I don't think anyone knows for sure - but why are we letting
Western
culture rob our children of a fundamental human rest posture?

SARAH KEY, physiotherapist says: "We used to squat"...

"Humans never used to sit around in chairs, we used to squat. On the
Indian
sub-continent people still squat to cook...it's fantastic for
decompression
of the spine...it's one of the main therapeutic exercises I use."
--Sarah Key, physiotherapist. Quoted by Pat Hagan in the Evening
Standard -
28-Jan-02
http://www.sarahkey.com/extract.cfm?ID=7

In 2001, Eve-Line Boule, chercheur associé at CÉPAM wrote:

"[S]quatting was a regular behavior used until the end of the Middle
Ages,
and after this period a progressive decrease occurs..."
[Am J Phys Anthropol 2001 May;115(1):50-6]

I replied:

The Great Squat Robbery that started in the Middle Ages starts anew in
elementary schools every year!

"MAINTAIN A BETTER LUMBAR HOLLOW"

SARAH KEY, physiotherapist also says: "Maintain a better lumbar
hollow"...

"[S]itting...leaches water from the shock-absorbing intervertebral
discs...[M]aintain[ing] a better lumbar hollow (lumbar
lordosis)...helps
prevent the whole spine slumping in a crumpled 'C' shape...[Remember in

earlier evolutionary forms we never sat, we squatted!]"--Sarah Key,
physiotherapist
http://www.sarahkey.com/thought.cfm?ID=41 (exclamation point Sarah's)

OPEN LETTER (archived at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chiro-list/message/2084)

Sarah Key
Physiotherapist
The Sarah Key Physiotherapy Centre,
44 Bridge Street
Sydney 2000
(612) 9247 8627
Fax (612) 9221 8103
via http://www.sarahkey.com/contact.cfm
also via )

Sarah,

Maintain the lumbar lordosis?

Most humans on the planet make the lumbar lordosis DISAPPEAR in
circumstances in which we Westerners would sit in chairs or on bus
benches.

Sarah, you say that humans "used" to squat "in earlier evolutionary
forms" -
even as you acknowledge that humans on the Indian sub-continent still
squat.

Surely you can't be saying that humans on the Indian sub-continent
comprise
"earlier evolutionary forms." (!)

Whatever the case, I urge you to stop blithely accepting The Great
Squat
Robbery. ("[W]e used to squat.")

Canadian orthopedic surgeon W. Harry Fahrni, MD recommended that ALL
children - including and especially OUR children - be encouraged to
maintain
their innate comfortable prolonged squatting ability. [Orth Clin N Am
1975]

THOSE WITH GREATER FLEXIBILITY MAY HAVE A LOWER RISK OF FUTURE BACK
INJURY...

As I noted in my peer review of the first draft of the 1994 US Public
Health
Service sponsored Acute Low Back Problems Guideline:

Making squatting an activity of daily living again would certainly
increase
"flexibility," a distinct concern of the U.S. Department of Health and
Human
Services, Public Health Service. Quoting from the PHS publication
Healthy
People 2000:

"Flexibility describes the range of motion in a joint or sequence of
joints.
Those with greater flexibility may have a lower risk of future back
injury...Joint movement through the full range of motion helps to
improve
and maintain flexibility...

"...The performance of routine daily activities is particularly
important to
maintaining functional independence and social integration in older
adults.
Increasing public awareness of all of these potential benefits may help
encourage the pursuit of activities that will promote...flexibility."
[Harrell JA, Artz LM, Files A, Baker D (eds.). Healthy people 2000:
National
health promotion and disease prevention objectives. DHHS Pub. No.
(PHS)91-50212, 1991:100]

Sarah, you write that what the back does is "sheer genius...so strong
and
flexible...most of the time we simply take it for granted."
http://www.sarahkey.com/yourpain.cfm

Why are we taking for granted the mass robbery of a restful fundamental

human flexibility?

Thanks for reading,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS1

IMRCI is "a transformation of the former Research Department of the
Anglo-European College of Chiropractic."
http://www.imrci.ac.uk/Origins/origins.html

IMRCI is "undertak[ing] musculoskeletal health research in such areas
as:
prevention of disabilities..."
http://www.imrci.ac.uk/Objectives/objectives.html

IMRCI is directed by Alan Breen, DC, PhD )

Alan,

UNREST. Our culture is causing it - literally - globally.

Amid chiropractic silence, Western children are losing bony "squatting"

facets as they are robbed of an innate way to rest on their feet for
hours
in virtually any terrain...

AS NOTED ABOVE

In 2001, Eve-Line Boule, chercheur associé at CÉPAM wrote:

"[S]quatting was a regular behavior used until the end of the Middle
Ages,
and after this period a progressive decrease occurs..."
[Am J Phys Anthropol 2001 May;115(1):50-6]

I replied:

The Great Squat Robbery that started in the Middle Ages starts anew in
elementary schools every year!

See CÉPAM, the Great Squat Robbery (and mass obstetric crime)
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...1a5.105700%40d...

snr1.gtei.net

Director Alan, loss of the innate squatting ability is spreading the
"chairdweller's" disability...

Please direct IMRCI to help stop The Great Squat Robbery...

IDENTIFICATION OF MECHANISM

One of the IMRCI objectives is to research "identification of
mechanism"...
http://www.imrci.ac.uk/Objectives/objectives.html

One mechanism for calling attention to The Great Squat Robbery might be
call upon MDs to stop closing birth canals...

I mention this in part because British MDs (Gardosi et al.) have
suggested
that MDs are closing birth canals *because* of The Great Squat Robbery!

See Gardosi et al.'s 1989 Lancet "randomised controlled trial of
squatting" - where nobody squatted...

CHILDREN PLANT THEMSELVES IN FRONT OF COMPUTERS...

Britain's BackCare Charity for Healthier Backs has suggested that
sitting in
front of computers is causing back pain...

Here's a pertinent excerpt from a 2000 BackCare press release...

"[W]e allow our children to lead such sedentary lifestyles that in
later
life they are at high risk of back pain...Emma Tait, Executive Director
of
BackCare comments: 'It seems that children today would much rather come
home
from school and plant themselves in front of a computer game, or trade
Pokemon cards, than they would spend time being active. Cycling,
playing
football or any of the other activities adults enjoyed in childhood,
are
ignored by many children today'....BackCare wants parents to cut the
amount
of time that their children are allowed to spend playing computer games
or
watching TV..."
http://www.backpain.org/pages/p_pages/pr-children.php

Sorry to be repetitive but...

*Is* sitting in front of computers and TVs causing back pain - setting
children up for back pain later in life?

OR... Is sitting on CHAIRS in front of computers and TVs causing back
pain/setting children up for back pain?

REMEMBER: Most humans on the planet can plant themselves motionless in
squat for hours - and Sarah Key says she uses squatting as therapy for
back
pain patients...

MAYBE squatting prevents back pain...

Regardless....why are we robbing children of an all-terrain human rest
posture?

Since "BackCare...funds research and campaigns to raise the profile of
issues surrounding back pain"...

Perhaps IMRCI could apply for funds to start raise the profile of the
Great
Squat Robbery and the related MD practice of closing birth canals at
delivery.

Just a thought Alan...

Copied to IMRCI STAFF

Alan Breen DC PhD
(Director)
Email:

Jennifer Langworthy MPhil
(Senior Research Fellow)
Email:

Jill Sutherland
(Audit Analyst)
Email:

Jane Baker
(Secretary)
Email:

IMRCI VISITING FELLOWS

Michelle Carrington BSc DC FCC
(Visiting Research Fellow)
Email:

Steven Vogel DO
(Visiting Research Fellow)
Email:

PS2

PREGNANT WOMEN (I say again): MDs are closing birth canals up to 30%.

It's EASY to allow your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%!

You don't have to squat to do it!

Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out! BUT - see WARNING,

WARNING, WARNING at the very end of this post...

MDs KNOW THEY ARE COMMITTING THE CRIME...

"It is established obstetric teaching that a narrow pelvic outlet
predisposes to a difficult vaginal delivery..."
--Ass-Ärztin Dr. Andrea Froschauer-Frudinger et al. via
[Frudinger et al. Br J Obstet Gynaecol
2002;109(11):1207-12]

PHYSICIANS ARE **LYING** - BABIES BE DAMNED...

For the Four OB Cover-up Lies (they are whoppers)...

See Dents in babies' skulls"
http://groups.google.com/group/
misc.kids.pregnancy/msg/08abfc7ff242150e

Alternate URL:

Physicians are now saying, "*We* aren't damaging babies - babies are
being
damaged
BEFORE birth."

Frances Cowan, PhD and colleagues mention an interesting development:

"Until recently hypoxic-ischaemic events in the perinatal period were
assumed to be the main cause for early neonatal encephalopathy...[but
now
antenatal factors are being implicated]..."

[Cowan F, Rutherford M, Groenedaal F, Eken P, Mercuri E, Bydder GM,
Meiners LC, Dubowitz LMS, de Vries LS, Origin and timing of brain
lesions in
term infants with neonatal encephalopathy. The Lancet
(Mar1)2003;361:736-42.]

I suspect some MD researchers began FRAUDULENTLY implicating antenatal
events back in the 1980s - back when the public started learning of the

radiographic evidence that squatting opens birth canals up to 30%.

FACT: MDs began overtly LYING when in the early 1990s I began pointing

out that the phrase "squatting opens birth canals up to 30%" -
usefully translated - means MDs have been CLOSING birth canals up to
30%.

Cowan et al. write:

"Our findings show that more than 90% of term infants
with neonatal encephalopathy...without specific syndromes or major
congenital defects, had evidence of perinatally acquired
insults...Reasons
for injuries of perinatal onset remain poorly understood."

Even if MDs (and MBs) are NOT causing neonatal encephalopathy by
closing
birth canals - they should STOP closing birth canals...

I've often pointed out that the obivous massive MD birth crime (MDs
senselessly closing birth canals) becomes most obvious when one
realizes that MDs are slashing vaginas en masse (euphemism "routine
episiotomy") surgically/FRAUDULENTLY inferring they are doing
everything
possible to OPEN birth canals even as they CLOSE birth canals.

See again: Squatting, Nurse Jenn's genital piercing, the Anti-Vagina -
and
Kingston General's Human Mobility Centre...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...TF-8&selm=zdiW...

Nurse Jenn *wanted* her vagina modified.

I submit
that most women *don't* want their vaginas modified - at least not at
birth - and they certainly don't want their babies' brains modified by
MD-obstetricians senselessly closing birth canals...

Two Canadian MDs - Erica Eason and Perle Feldman -
recommend
"consumer
pressures" to stop the mass vagina slashing:

"[i]t is clear that episiotomy is a MAJOR contributor to trauma,
pain, and suffering in parturients. Changes in practice can be
effectively introduced through CONSUMER PRESSURES...Routine
episiotomy remains common even in teaching institutions. 'Who
cares about a little cut?' was a frequent comment from
obstetricians...Given the evidence, there should be widespread
abandonment of routine episiotomy "
Erica Eason, MDCM, FRCSC and Perle Feldman, MDCM, FCFP
Obstet Gynecol 2000;95:616-8. Emphasis added.

Whereas Erica and Perle recommend "consumer pressures"...

I recommend "consumer PRESSURIZERS" - THE POLICE...

I just want MD-obstetricians to stop their massive crime. I am in
favor of pardons in advance for MDs. MDs are just academic
prime cuts forced through this culture's most powerful mental
meatgrinder -
medical school.

MORE obvious criminal negligence by MDs...

At the University of Hawaii Med School...

"Most first year residents finish the year having performed over 50
cesarean
sections as the primary surgeon."
http://hawaiimed.hawaii.edu/residenc...ms/obgyn5.html

Arrrrggghhh! This is obvious criminal negligence IF - as is the case
all
over the world - women are forced into "failure to progress" on their
backs/butts - on their sacra - closing their birth canals up to 30%.

Cephalopelvic disproportion/failure to progress is often the reason
given
for cesareans.

Sometimes cesarean section is necessary - but MDs are CAUSING
cephalopelvic
disproportion/failure to progress - then "performing" cesarean sections

BEcause of cephalopelvic disproportion/failure to progress...

MDs are also forcing uteri to push with birth canals closed up to 30% -
then
chemically whipping uteri to push VIOLENTLY - with oxytocin/Cytotec -
with
birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%.

No wonder women beg for epidurals!

MDs also pull on babies' heads with their hands in most vaginal births
-
with birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%.

In some institutions - in 26% of births (!) - MDs reach INSIDE the
vagina -
with forceps/vacuum extractors - and pull babies out by their skulls -
through birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%.

Sometimes MDs pull so hard they rip spinal nerves out of tiny spinal
cords!

Incredibly, MDs have blamed their bizarre birth-canal-closing behavior
on
the West's loss of a fundamental human rest posture!

See Gardosi et al.'s 1989 Lancet "controlled trial of squatting" -
where
nobody squatted...

See also: Chiro orthopedists and global UNREST - and babies...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...TF-8&selm=uyjQ...

MD-psychiatrists should be just as interested in DC-orthopedists in
stopping
The Great Squat Robbery...

[...]

PROBLEM: Western culture ROBS the comfortable prolonged flat-footed
squatting ability.

See again: Chiro orthopedists and global UNREST, URL above.

PREGNANT WOMEN! It's EASY to open your birth canal an "extra" up to
30%!

Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out! PLEASE talk to
your MD
about this NOW...

WARNING
WARNING
WARNING
WARNING: Some MDs will let women "try" side-lying and
other
"alternative" delivery positions - but they will move women back to
semisitting -
close their birth canals (!) at
the very worst possible moment (as the baby is coming out)...

Last but not least....

PAUL T. HAGEMAN, PhD (Nursing)
Chair
Department of Holistic Health Studies
Nursing
D'Youville College
PAW 418
phone: 881-3200 X6518

http://www.dyc.edu/contact/ (Search Last name: "Hageman")

Paul,

As I indicated on the telephone, I'm looking forward with avid interest
the upcoming chiropractic program at D'Youville College...

Since your PhD is in nursing...

A NURSING ISSUE...

Why aren't MDs telling pregnant women that they can be nursing
IMMUNIZERS
just by breastfeeding?

Why aren't MDs telling Americans that breastfeeding women scan their
environment for pathogens and manufacture specific IMMUNIZATIONS which
they
"inject" with their breasts DAILY?

There is a kicker Paul: Nursing/breastfeeding/breastimmunization
reportedly
makes MD-needle vaccinations work better!

What woman - explicitly informed - is going to fail to at least
*attempt* to
breastfeed her baby? (Some women already share their breastmilk with
women
who can't breastfeed; I suspect many more would step forward once
America
learned that breastmilk actually contains IMMUNIZATIONS in addition to
nutrition.)

NURSES could make the breastfeeding rate SKYROCKET by telling America
and
the world about this amazing innate immunization ability of humans and
other
mammals...

Chiropractically speaking Paul, America's healthcare system is BADLY
subluxated when babies can't even get free daily immunizations!

Why aren't *chiropractic* academic and political organizations
discussing
this issue? (And why isn't this neuromusculoskeletal-"range of
motion"-focused
profession called chiropractic publicly discussing the culture-wide
loss of
range of motion discussed above?!)

I think it is because chiropractic academic and political organizations
are
focusing on "mainstreaming"/"integrating" themselves - ignoring the
fundamental chiropractic hypothesis of chiropractic's founder, Dr. DD
Palmer...

Paul, I think you said you will be "integrating" chiropractic with
other
health professional programs there at D'Youville College...

I like this focus. It bodes well for the future of healthcare - as
long as
the various professions don't have to lose their distinct identities in
the
process...

I am hoping that with your NURSING background you will make sure the
upcoming D'Youville College chiropractic program neglects neither
nursing
(CHIROPRACTIC IMMUNIZATIONS for babies) nor Dr. DD Palmer's fundamental

chiropractic hypothesis, now published as the definition of
chiropractic in
Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary...

NOTE TO PAUL: If the D'Youville chiropractic program is asked to
affiliate
with the Association of Chiropractic Colleges/ACC - make sure you tell
ACC
member colleges that they've got Dr. DD Palmer's Innate "diagnostic
trick"
exactly backwards!

See Breastfeeding = Chiropractic immunization!

See also: Innate = Spirit (also: Dog subluxations - and Dr. DD Palmer:
'My
own son put me in prison'...)
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...TF-8&selm=nkZQ...

Good luck!

Paul is a member of the Healthcare Executive Forum (HEF). "An
independent,
non-profit, professional membership organization and affiliate of the
American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE)...an invaluable
resource to
executives working in today's continuously changing health care
market."
http://www.hefwny.org/about.html

Healthcare executives should integrate DD-straight chiropractic into
their
programs.

I will cc Paul's fellow HEF members. Hopefully one or more of them
will
formally ask the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) to
start
demanding that MDs stop lying by omission. In addition to committing
mass
PHYSICAL child abuse (by senselessly closing birth canals) - American
MDs
are causing mass IMMUNOLOGIC child abuse - by failing to inform
American
women that they are IMMUNIZERS.

Again: What woman - explicitly informed - is going to fail to at least

*attempt* to breastfeed her baby?

ACHE could make the breastfeeding rate SKYROCKET.

What an unfortunate acronym, ACHE...

END Note to PAUL HAGEMAN, PhD (Nursing)...

PREGNANT WOMEN! It's EASY to open your birth canal an "extra" up to
30%!

Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out! PLEASE talk to
your MD
about this NOW...

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING, WARNING: Some MDs will let women "try"
side-lying and
other
"alternative" delivery positions - but they will move women back to
semisitting -
close their birth canals (!) at
the very worst possible moment (as the baby is coming out)...

See above.

Thanks for reading,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

***This post will be instantly archived for global access at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chiro-list/message/2084.

Within 24 hours it
will be in the google archive. Search
http://groups.google.com for "Sarah Key's huge balls (also: Kids can
SQUAT
motionless for hours)"

END excerpt of Sarah Key's huge balls (also: Kids can SQUAT motionless for hours)

http://groups.google.com/group/misc....f5a6c0ab5484b5

DR. GASTALDO REMARKS: THERE WAS NO RESPONSE. AUTHORITIES IN OUR
CHAIRDWELLING CULTURE ARE STILL ROBBING CHILDREN - AT AND AFTER BIRTH.

HOPEFULLY GELDHOF ET AL. WILL RESPOND - ESP. REGARDING THE ***OBVIOUS
EMERGENCY*** - THE BIZARRE OBSTETRIC PRACTICE OF CLOSING BIRTH CANALS
THE "EXTRA" UP TO 30%.

MD-obstetrician experts have been LYING to cover-up.

For the Four OB Cover-up Lies (they are whoppers)...

See Dents in babies' skulls"
http://groups.google.com/group/
misc.kids.pregnancy/msg/08abfc7ff242150e

Alternate URL:

TINY BRAINS ARE BLEEDING...

IN 1999, I WROTE:

BEGIN excerpt of BLOOD IN CSF OF **MOST** NEWBORNS?

This MD spinal manipulation at delivery is very likely causing tiny
brains
to bleed...

I just found in my notes a reference to Glen Doman's report that 9%
of human
newborns have blood in their spinal fluid visible to the naked eye and
70-85% have such blood visible in the microscope. [Estabrook KG. Is
modern
obstetrics responsible for the lower intelligence and higher crime
rates of
western society? 1989. Citing Doman G. What to do about your brain
injured
child. NY: Doubleday 1974:229.]

Ludwig et al. [1980] did a computerized tomography study and found
that 7%
of normal babies had asymptomatic brain bleeds. [Ludwig B, Brand M,
Brockerhoff P. Postpartum CT examination of the heads of full term
infants.
Neuroradiology 1980;20:145-54.]

More recently, Menkes' [1995] mentioned a study which found that
4.6% of
term neonates had suffered brain bleeds (p. 338), with 50% possibly
related
to difficult delivery and 25% "of unknown etiology" (Menkes, p.
340).
[Menkes JH. Textbook of Child Neurology. Baltimo Williams & Wilkins
1995.]

It is the resilience of babies - and the movement of fetal skull
bones - that saves most babies.

*BUT* a significant number of babies do suffer significant unexplained
morbidity - dents in their skulls at birth, unexplained brain bleeds
(4.6%);
unexplained neonatal encephalopathy (up to 10%); unexplained Erb's
palsy,
unexplained cerebral palsy, unexplained epilepsy, unexplained low
APGARS,
unexplained "minor" perceptual and motor difficulties at 4 years, etc.

Of course - some babies suffer unexplained DEATH - and the authors of
Williams Obstetrics now indirectly claim that their bizarre spinal
manipulations at delivery (dorsal and semisitting deliveries) are
causing
some of these fetal deaths....

END excerpt of BLOOD IN CSF OF **MOST** NEWBORNS?

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.m...57b9facd245e00

AGAIN, HOPEFULLY GELDHOF ET AL. WILL RESPOND - ESP. REGARDING THE
***OBVIOUS EMERGENCY*** - THE BIZARRE OBSTETRIC PRACTICE OF CLOSING
BIRTH CANALS THE "EXTRA" UP TO 30%.

THE GELDHOF ET AL. PUBMED ABSTRACT...

Eur Spine J. 2006 Sep 30; [Epub ahead of print]

Back posture education in elementary schoolchildren: a 2-year follow-up
study.

Geldhof E. et al. (Geldhof E, Cardon G, De Bourdeaudhuij I, De Clercq
D) Department of Movement and Sports Sciences, Ghent University,
Watersportlaan 2, 9000, Ghent, Belgium, via .

Within the scope of primary prevention regarding back functioning in
children, research on the stability of intervention effects is
indispensable. Along this line, the transition from childhood to
adolescence is an important phase to evaluate the potential stability
of intervention effects because of the typically mechanical and
psychological demands related to adolescence. The main aim of the
current study was to investigate the effects of a back education
program at 2-year follow-up, in youngsters aged 13-14 years, on back
posture knowledge, fear-avoidance beliefs and self-reported pain. An
additional purpose was to evaluate which aspects of postural behavior
were integrated in youngsters' lifestyles. At 2-year follow-up, the
study sample included 94 secondary schoolchildren in the intervention
group (mean age 13.3 +/- 0.8 years) and 101 controls (mean age 13.2 +/-
0.7 years). The back posture program that had been implemented for two
school years consisted of back education and the stimulation of
postural dynamism in the class through support and environmental
changes. A questionnaire was completed comparable to the pretest,
posttest and follow-up evaluations. The current study demonstrated at
2-year follow-up stability of the improved general (F = 1.590, ns) and
specific (F = 0.049, ns) back posture knowledge in children who had
received early back posture education. Back posture education did not
result in increased fear-avoidance beliefs (F = 1.163, ns) or mounting
back and/or neck pain reports (F = 0.001, ns). Based on self-reports
for postural behavior, youngsters who had received the back posture
program in the elementary school curriculum integrated crucial sitting
and lifting principles conform to biomechanical favorable postural
behavior. The steady intervention effects 2-year post-intervention
demonstrated that intensive back posture education through the
elementary school curriculum is effective till adolescence. Future
research on the impact of early school-based back posture promotion in
relation to the integration of back posture principles according to a
biomechanical favorable lifestyle and back pain prevalence later in
life is essential.

END Geldhof et al. Pub Med abstract

GELDHOF ET AL. AND "BACK PAIN PREVALENCE LATER IN LIFE"

Geldhof et al. conclude their PubMed abstract with this comment:

"Future research on the impact of early school-based back posture
promotion in relation to the integration of back posture principles
according to a biomechanical[ly] favorable lifestyle and back pain
prevalence later in life is essential."

Canadian orthopedic surgeon W. Harry Fahrni, MD suggested that letting
children SQUAT into adulthood was a biomechanically favorable lifestyle
that would prevent much low back pain.

We should maintain the comfortable prolonged squatting ability into
adulthood - regardless whether doing so prevents low back pain.

All women should have the comfortable prolonged squatting ability -
i.e. - squatting should be a delivery OPTION for all women.

Key point: Women do not need to squat to allow their birth canals to
open the "extra" up to 30%. /See above.

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo
Hillsboro, Oregon
USA

BEGIN Jeffrey Tucker, DC's ankle rehab protocol

http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/24/20/06.html

Ankle: The hypomobility of the ankle or tissue tightness can be
observed during the overhead deep squat if the heel of the foot rises
while descending from a neutral starting position. This is the result
of limited soleus muscle motion (e.g., ankle dorsiflexion). Motion can
be restored and maintained despite restricted arthrokinematic motion.
Restoration of dorsiflexion and normal gait patterns occurs after
anterior-to-posterior (manual or self) mobilizations of the talus in
the mortise....

The progression of rehab to improve the foot dysfunction is to start
the patient with ankle self-mobilization. The patient starts out in the
double-leg stance. Take a single step forward onto a stool with the
right foot. Ask the patient to flex the ankle and knee over the stool
as far as they can go. Compare to the left side. The restricted side
can be stretched and mobilized while on the stool by repetitively
moving the knee over the foot. Altered movement of the subtalar joints
and soft tissue tightness can be restored through self repetitive range
of motion maneuvers. Next, have the patient perform a wall stretch.
With their hands against a wall, feet flat on the ground and one foot
at least 18 to 20 inches behind the other, have them bend the front
knee. Hold the static stretch for at least 30 seconds. Do this at least
two times per leg. The next exercise involves standing on one foot,
turned in 45 degrees with the heel hanging off a step. The patient's
body weight is on the forefoot. Have them hold onto a wall or rail
handle and let their body weight drop down. Instruct the patient to
hold this stretch for at least 60 seconds.

END

Jeffrey Tucker, DC's ankle rehab protocol
http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/24/20/06.html

AGAIN: Attn: Jeffrey H. Tucker, DC, DACRB: Why not mention The Great
Squat Robbery in your ankle rehab protocol?

Years ago, I paid Craig Liebenson, DC for a seminar - to be able to
discuss The Great Squat Robbery with him in person. I've emailed
Craig about his silence.

STILL no mention of the fact that this culture is robbing children of a
fundamental human rest posture. Indeed, a couple of years ago, Craig
indirectly indicated to NASM CEO Mike Clark, PT that he'd
never heard this info!

See Pregnant? NASM fitness trainers CAN'T (or won't) help make birth
easier?

And see: Canadians to 'delist' OB spinal manipulation (with birth
canal
closed up to 30%)?

Jeff, can you really rehab the loss? That is, can people really do
what you recommend and recover their innate comfortable prolonged
flat-footed squatting ability? Even if you can rehab the loss, you
should discuss The Great Squat Robbery and how easy it might be to
PREVENT it - if posture experts would only start discussing it.

REMEMBER: Children do your ankle protocol spontaneously - naturally -
bilaterally - before they start losing their squatting ability to
chair-dwelling. See Fahrni's "chairless school" experiment in
Vancouver. Orth Clin N America 1975. ("Chairless school" is my
phraseology. Chair-dwelling was an option in Fahrni's experiment.)

As noted above, The Great Squat Robbery was blamed for bizarre ongoing
birth-canal-closing behavior of obstetricians.

This is the CHIROPRACTIC EMERGENCY.

Obstetricians are keeping birth canals closed the "extra" up to 30%
when babies get stuck - as they pull with hands, forceps and vacuums.

Some babies die - some babies get paralyzed - most "only" suffer
gruesome spinal manipulation.

ALL spinal manipulation is gruesome with the birth canal closed the
"extra" up to 30%.

CHIROPRACTIC EMERGENCY.

Note: I am not saying here that compelling obstetricians to allow birth
canals to open maximally will prevent all forceps deliveries. It's
just that obstetricians have no business closing birth canals the
"extra" up to 30% - or KEEPING birth canals closed the "extra" up to
30% when babies get stuck - or lying to cover-up. See the Four OB Lies
- and other obvious MD crimes - at the "Dents in babies' skulls" URL
above - the OB lies are whoppers.

Copied to: Dept. of Movement and Sport Sciences, Head of Department:
Jacques Bouckaert, PhD et al. with email addresses listed online...

This post will be archived for global access in the Google usenet
archive. Search at http://groups.google.com for "The Great Squat
Robbery: Belgian 'crucial squatting principles'"